Class Clown

Looking for few tire recommendations

Just want to get a few tire recommendations that fit the bill to help me in my research.

Current setup for XC hardtail 26" on 19mm rims is Purgatory 2.2 front and Captain 2.0 rear. I run the sport versions of these tires and they are tough. They are not making the Purgatory sport version anymore and I keep reading about weak sidewalls on the Specialized control versions.

Trails are typical New England rocks and roots, fast rocky downhills, techy rock sections and rock gardens, mixed with hardpack and loose. Usually in the dry with occasional mud.

So I'm looking for some ideas of tires in similar widths, high volume, confidence inspiring front that can roll over anything and a rear that can climb. Don't want them to roll too slow but don't need superlight race tires either. I currently run tubes but I might try Stan's, as I run as low of a pressure as possible without pinch flats, 28psi front and 34 rear.

Never had issues with the Spesh sport tires sidewalls or treads falling apart prematurely, so I also need tires that are tough and won't tear going over rocks. Did I mention I ride over alot of rocks?

Just looking for some names and then I'll start researching them further, thanks!

mtbr member
    I have zero specifics but I know that Specialized makes the best bike branded tire on the market - they also make a really nice "2-bliss" option on a good chunk (if not all) of their tires. Stop messing around with tubes. It's 2013. I'd stick with Specialized if you know and like it, you'll only be more impressed with their tubeless offerings. I've run/tried a few and they're great.

Also don't futz with a rubber rim strip. Buy a Stan's rim and do it properly, never look back and thank all those who shamed you into the best performance/dollar investment you can make on a mountain bike besides an adjustable seat post - (also, keep rocking the 26" wheels).

Sorry I'm lacking specifics - when I was running my 26er I loved Continental tires. If you can find a Maxxis Crossmark in a UST 2.3, that's a great rear tire that rolls amazing (I know it's a race tire on paper) and will hold up to New England's rocks. You'll be surprised at how much traction those things have though as well! Only go UST if you're willing/able to go tubeless though other wise they'll be beyond heavy w/ a damn tube... Conti Mountain Kings are a nice front tire for when conditions are looser... I'm still looking for the perfect dry condition high volume front tire though...
    My one says BRAP!

Class Clown
    Thanks I might grab a Purgatory or Butcher Control and see how that goes. As for rims I have a couple good sets of Mavics so I'll have to stick with those for now.

Been looking at some others too:

Maxxis Advantage, Ignitor, High Roller (exception)
    Continental Trail King
    WTB Bronson
    Shwalbe Nobby Nic, Hans Dampf

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Look no further than Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 snake skins. Da best!

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I've been running a butcher control front on my 26" trance, very good tire that's a soft rubber compound that i like. I run tubeless, easy tire to setup.
    My only minor complaint is stated size is 2.3, & measures 2.23 on crest rims.
    I ride in so cal, with dirt like you've described, no mud however....