mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. looking for DT Hugi FR hubs info

Hi all,

I've spent quite a few hours online and talking to bike shops to get info about the DT Hugi FR hubs. People seem to have mixed experiences with these hubs : they're super reliable or they're creaking. It seems like they have updated them a few times but I can't find any history about the changes.

I'm looking to buy a used (supposed to be new) wheelset built with Mavic EX 729 (the dark grey ones), black DT Champ spokes and DT Hugi FR hubs 20mm front/ 135mm rear. I'm guessing they're from 2006, but the wheelset is cheap (160$ can.$)

Is there any way to know which year are they from and if they were one of the "good" versions that didn't creak or tear at the spokes ?

edit : The wheelset looks exactly like the ones BicycleWheelWarehouse sell.

I'm looking to use these as a main/backup wheelset to me more reliable than my Shimano M525 (who tighten)loosen themselves at the worst moment) so I'd like them not to shear.

Thanks for any info!
    Last edited by guim; 10-31-2011 at 06:49 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    bump! still can't find anything, any info or links ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have 2 sets of Hugi FR hubs. I also have 2 sets of 440FR hubs. They seem virtually identical.

The oldest set are 7 years old, and still work as well as my new ones (with new bearings). I ride 11 months a year (8 of them in the wet), at least once a week. Zero issues.

I have never heard of the creaking problems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've also had a few sets. The Hugi name is older, 440 is newer. Never had a single issue with these hubs. Super easy to clean and the star ratchet system is great. Go for it
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job!

Great! Thank you both for your info, I'll buy that wheelset before it's sold!

PMK
    mtbr member
    FWIW, we run a 440 rear with steel freehub body and a FR hub on the front of our Ventana ECDM suspension tandem.

I have a second 440 as a spare that came off another off-road tandem we owned.

Been good so far with a bunch of miles on them.

I will say that you should learn how to clean and relube the free hub drive rings. Very easy to accomplish properly. Should be done occasionally to keep the drive rings nice and free for proper engagement.

As the other post mentioned, we ride our DT hubs a lot in all conditions and with a few minutes of routine maintenance they never complain.

FWIW, we did split a HUGI rear hub, circa 1998 halfway from the freehub to the disc. That made a very bad sound when it let go. Suprisingly. we still rode it home.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!