mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Lite weight tubes for Nevegal 2.5s

Hi guys, ive been running some maxxis freeride 1.2mm tubes in my 2.5 Nevegals for a while now on my Bullit and havent had a puncture yet. Thats great but im thinking of trying some lighter tubes. I wouldnt say im a very aggressive rider but sometimes things get a bit rough and i do medium size jumps and drops.
    Just wondering if anyone can recommend any other tubes that might save some weight and do the trick?
    Im running lite weight cheapy tioga tubes 1.75-2.125 in my 2.3 nevegals on my Heckler and they are holding up sweet, i was thinking of trying them in my 2.5s but think i might be pushing my luck a bit?
    Any advice? Thanx in advance.
    CHUNKY

mtbr member
    I've had a Giant 1.9/2.125 .9mm in my front 2.5 Nevagal for about 4 monthes now. One weekend in Mammoth and a full week in Moab. I'm around 230lbs and ride somewhat aggressively. I run 30psi and have only had one puncture flat so far (yucca).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUNKY NUGGET
    Hi guys, ive been running some maxxis freeride 1.2mm tubes in my 2.5 Nevegals for a while now on my Bullit and havent had a puncture yet. Thats great but im thinking of trying some lighter tubes. I wouldnt say im a very aggressive rider but sometimes things get a bit rough and i do medium size jumps and drops.
    Just wondering if anyone can recommend any other tubes that might save some weight and do the trick?
    Im running lite weight cheapy tioga tubes 1.75-2.125 in my 2.3 nevegals on my Heckler and they are holding up sweet, i was thinking of trying them in my 2.5s but think i might be pushing my luck a bit?
    Any advice? Thanx in advance.
    CHUNKY
    Standard weight 2.0-2.2 tubes work fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you want big tubes, Specialized makes 2.5" normal thickness tubes.

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    Performance has normal thickness 2.1-2.5 tubes.
    WTB has 2.2-2.5 tubes normal thickness.
    Both 200-200 grams.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanx guys, so there are other choices. You have to excuse my ignorance, im an Aussie and our bike shops carry sweet FA when it comes to tubes. Guess i might have to start looking in the online stores for some standard weight ones?
    Probably shoulda mentioned im 190lb, not a lite weight but not nearly as CHUNKY as i used to be! I reckon some lighter tubes will help bring the rotational weight down and help my bike feel a lil more pedal freindly, well thats the hopes

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    You are lighter than me. I weigh 215. I use the 2.1-2.5 tubes standard thickness tubes on my XC bike where I run 2.35 tires and my AM/DH bike where I run 2.5 up front and 2.4 rear.