Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Light-Cycle 27mm wide, 29er carbon hookless rim

Yep- There is a thread about low cost asian carbon rims.
    Yep- It's about 250 odd pages long.
    Yep- I read it for a bit, fell asleep, read some more, went to work, fell asleep, and repeated too many times deciding whether I should but these.

bead hook-less rims carbon 29er light bike rim tubeless compatible Light-Bicycle

But here is what I have to add.
    They are the 27mm wide, hookless version in a matte finish, all mountain (as oposed to he XC option, whatever that means).

32 hole.
    +- 5g, they are 400g each.
    Laced to old but still amazingly perfect DT 240s w/ DT Comp spokes, alloy nips.
    They seated up perfectly without issues. Stans tape seems to stick.
    They are on the SS and geared bikes.
    They showed up in about 2 weeks from WhereEver to Colorado.
    The email response from them was astounding. I don't hear from family members that fast.
    They do make a 30mm wide version. I passed on those but was tempted.

They shouldn't be called cheap chinese rims. After the pay-pal and shipping they are still about $185 or so each. At cost I could get about 3 Stans rims for one of these.
    But Stans don't feel like this. They just don't.

I didn't want to believe it but man- they are signifiganlty better than the Arch that I was used to.

Hang on, scratch that.
    Better? I can't yet say. Give me a season.
    I do know they are lighter, they are stiffer, and there isn't the occasional frame/tire rub (since I try to stuff a bit too fat a tire in my too narrow frame).

They also seem to track more straight. In a rock garden or while cornering they hold their line better. In fact, I'd say much better.

Here's what I can't get straight in my head, they also seem more..uhh.... I suppose you'd say damp. They seem to give more. I don't know what witch was chopped up and mixed in to make a wheel noticably stiffer and more damp but there you have it. Perhaps they use Unicorn bone in there somewhere.

I'm still on the fence about whether I'm any quicker. Doubtful.
    But the bike seems more comfy mentally. Like my brain is less taxed when cornering or bashing thru a rock garden. That allows me to feel safer, that just might make me get off the brakes a bit more. But I've spent years braking too much.That muscle memory isn't gong away any time soon.

And if a Derby, Nox, or Enve is signifigantly better than these knock offs? Wow. Buy em.

So ask me in a season or 3 if they are better. If they're destroyed by then they were not worth it.
    But for now? With only a few rides on them? I'd say they are great. Go buy them. If you can't afford them, consider selling a kidney or child.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Yep. I agree. First time I dropped into Enchanted Forest at APEX I oversteered the first corner. Apparently I was adjusting for wheel flex?

I've got the XC 29er 27mm hookless and AM 650b 35mm hookless.
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    OVER STEER!
    You did that only once at the top of Apex?
    Man- I'm still doing it every 15th corner or so but that's an improvement from the start. Funny how nimble the bike feels now.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Lol. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

That was the 1st time I oversteered. Lol. Getting better at it. (It was also one of my first rides with a 780mm bar an 55mm stem)

I find I am quicker to 'correct' my lines. Ex: the damn vertical rock water bars on Maverick (past the creek crossing, headed towards Long Horn). With all of the tall grass and brush, it's hard seeing some of the lines. Last minute adjustments are quicker and more intuative.
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for this thread..I am starting a sb95c build and considering a brand of carbon rim to use

mtbr member
    I have the 30mm hookless version built with Super Comps and DT 240s hubs, and compared to my previous ZTR Crest / Comp wheelset they are so much laterally stiffer it's ridiculous. I agree 100% with your cornering and rock garden comments Johnny Chicken Bones... Feels like a similar improvement as upgrading from straight steerer QR fork to tapered steerer QR15 fork...

Dropshot Champ!
    Agreed. I just built a set of the 30mm wider ones with sapim spokes, alum nips, and ac hubs. While they're ~100g more than the race wheelset I'm coming off of, they're still crazy light (1479g) and they *should* take almost anything I throw at them.

But I'm a realist like you, OP. I'll wait until I've thrashed them for a few seasons before I start preaching their supreme greatness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    OVER STEER!
    You did that only once at the top of Apex?
    Sooooo... Remember that oversteer thing we mentioned? How's about the complete LACK of lateral flex?

A great feature for trail riding... but with one consequence... when you accidentally turn too sharp, while braking and your front tire grabs a rock and throws the wheel sideways... The wheel does not flex (nor did the tire burp).

It did, however, throw me OTB, elbow first, into a rock. (Damn G-Forms are at the house).

Eventually stopped the bleeding and kept on riding.

Sent via iPhone from Urgent Care waiting room... Lol
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 10-09-2014 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have first hand long term (longer than 1 season) thoughts on the LB carbon rims?
    Not just the "a buddy I knew raced his VP10 in the TDF and won...." or "my buddy blew his up in an hour..." type stuff.

Thanks.
    JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Does anyone have first hand long term (longer than 1 season) thoughts on the LB carbon rims?
    Not just the "a buddy I knew raced his VP10 in the TDF and won...." or "my buddy blew his up in an hour..." type stuff.

Thanks.
    JCB
    My long term thoughts (since June) on the LB hookless rims are they are very stiff and build up nice BUT don't you dare hit a rock. They literally come apart, at least mine did.
    They were the DH version also. Sent them pictures and and they finally got back to me and said the tech said it looks like you hit a rock. Not warrantied if you ride them and hit anything hard.
    I have been running the Nextie 35mm wide beaded rim for over a year, no problems with them. I don't think I'm the only one that had their rims de-lamanated.
    I gave LB a chance to come thru, but they didn't.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light-Cycle 27mm wide, 29er carbon hookless rim-1008140815.jpg  

Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    My long term thoughts (sinsi June) on the LB hookless rims are they are very stiff and build up nice BUT don't you dare hit a rock. They literally come apart, at least mine did.
    They were the DH version also. Sent them pictures and and they finally got back to me and said the tech said it looks like you hit a rock. Not warrantied if you ride them and hit anything hard.
    I have been running the Nextie 35mm wide beaded rim for over a year, no problems with them. I don't think I'm the only one that had their rims de-lamanated.
    I gave LB a chance to come thru, but they didn't.
    YeeeOuch. That's bummer. Figure what you spent on the rims, spokes, etc to make a wheel an actual functional part of you bike. Jeez...Stans, tape, and so on. Then crap. Blown up from a rock strike.

What bike was it on? Something ubber squishy or did you feel the impact?
    I'm guessing you believe that an aluminum rim wouldn't have blown up from the impact? Would the alum be bent but recoverable?

Knowing that there aren't that many carbon factories making bikes (something like 7? Or a year ago there were 7 making all but a few companies carbon frame) I'd guess that there aren't that many factories making carbon rims either. Of course, this doesn't mean that one company's rims are made to the same standards as another's. Whisky brand might have slightly better tolerances demanded than LB.

And I hope to sweet Jesus that whoever kicks out the Enve rims is held to some high tolerances. How else could a consumer justify that price?
    Even w/ them saying Enve on each rim 8 flipping times color matched to a bike that isn't warrantied for more than 2 years. (and really- Enve? As in "Oh you so envy my rims don't you?" I hate that name. Isn't that an original sin? Now it's a name brand? Barf)

Who knows. It does look like Nexie sells rims in very similar dimensions than LB.
    The plot thickens.
    Thanks for your info.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Biking Like Crazy!
    YeeeOuch. That's bummer. Figure what you spent on the rims, spokes, etc to make a wheel an actual functional part of you bike. Jeez...Stans, tape, and so on. Then crap. Blown up from a rock strike.
    What bike was it on? Something ubber squishy or did you feel the impact?
    I'm guessing you believe that an aluminum rim wouldn't have blown up from the impact? Would the alum be bent but recoverable?
    Thanks for your info.
    The rim was on a DH bike at Whistler, but in all fairness I didn't even feel or heard the rim hit on a G-out. I've hit the 33mm MX rim harder (heard and felt it) and had just a minor ding
    that I am having to ride again as the LB wheel is toast. It looks like they only use one layer of carbon fiber to hold the rim bed together with the sides. Not bonded on the insides.
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Was the LB rim pretty new? They've had some changes- perhaps they've improved? Or perhaps I'm rolling around on spooking rims.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Was the LB rim pretty new? They've had some changes- perhaps they've improved? Or perhaps I'm rolling around on spooking rims.
    LB lists these 33mm wide hookless rims as their new offering. I got them in June of this year and only had 8 days on them and I had a 2 ply Maxxis DHR on the rear.
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

Sweater

And I hope to sweet Jesus that whoever kicks out the Enve rims is held to some high tolerances. How else could a consumer justify that price?
    Even w/ them saying Enve on each rim 8 flipping times color matched to a bike that isn't warrantied for more than 2 years. (and really- Enve? As in "Oh you so envy my rims don't you?" I hate that name. Isn't that an original sin? Now it's a name brand? Barf)
    Haha exactly. So many things seem over marketed these days.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    Haha exactly. So many things seem over marketed these days.
    So comparing something made in the US, with US wages not sweat shop wages and more complicated layup is over marketing? Remember the spoke holes are molded not drilled- does it make a difference- hell if I know but it adds labor and in turn cost to the final product

While I'm the first to say I can't afford their rims and have Derbys now and some LBs on the way, I'm also not silly enough to compare prices of something made in a sweat shop to something made in the US.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    LB lists these 33mm wide hookless rims as their new offering. I got them in June of this year and only had 8 days on them and I had a 2 ply Maxxis DHR on the rear.
    The only 33mm wide rim I see on LB's site is a standard beaded rim, not hoookless?
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    The only 33mm wide rim I see on LB's site is a standard beaded rim, not hoookless?
    Look at the 26' carbom rims, at the bottom of the page and click on it. It reads "new" offering. Read under type in rim description and it states beadless, hook less.
    Also if you read further down in the question section you'll see where they are offering a 38mm wide hookless rim.
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    So comparing something made in the US, with US wages not sweat shop wages and more complicated layup is over marketing? Remember the spoke holes are molded not drilled- does it make a difference- hell if I know but it adds labor and in turn cost to the final product

While I'm the first to say I can't afford their rims and have Derbys now and some LBs on the way, I'm also not silly enough to compare prices of something made in a sweat shop to something made in the US.
    I think you read a little more into what I was saying and applying it specifically to the ENVE case. I wasn't comparing their product to any other in quality or price. It's worth noting, however, that they did change their name from Edge to ENVE. Their non-sweatshop wages, complicated layup, molded spoke holes did not change with the name.
    Now I'm all worked up. I need to go drink an XXXtreme Monster Bull Energy Dew and gap jump a pit of sharks with frickin' laser beams..,.,.,
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

mtbr member
    In my experience, the best advice for keeping your LB rims in tact over the long term is to run sufficient tire pressure to avoid rim strikes (ie bottoming out the tire on rocks). I got 18 months out of my first LB rear rim before destroying it. front rim is still going strong, and I've got a new rear that seems fine so far. if you ride fast on rocky trails, tire pressure is crucial. I run 33-35psi rear and 28-30 psi front. last night I was at or just below the low end of those ranges and heard several pointy-rock-to-rim strikes and held my breath every time...

mtbr member
    In the name of playing devils advocate...

Isn't keeping enough pressure to avoid rock strikes the way to ensure a long life for any rim?

I've ruined/bashed the hell outta plenty AL rims before I switched to carbon...
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    In the name of playing devils advocate...Isn't keeping enough pressure to avoid rock strikes the way to ensure a long life for any rim? I've ruined/bashed the hell outta plenty AL rims before I switched to carbon...
    indeed it is. I've said it elsewhere, in my experience, the same circumstances will cause an AL and carbon rim to fail. AL dents, Carbon cracks.

The reason it stings so bad with carbon is most of us are taking a leap of faith and/or shouting down our inner penny pincher to put $400 (shipped) "cheap" rims on our bike. Cheap for carbon maybe, but not for rims. We take the plunge and hope it will be fantastic. And it is. So we start praying they don't crack. I love these wheels, Please don't crack. BAM, crack...the disappointment is magnified 10 fold.

Personally I decided to go back to AL. I'm paying a 100g weight penalty, but paying about $70/rim (shipped). I also learned that in the grand scheme of things, I like tubeless at a pretty low tire pressure. Mentally, I'm OK doing that and risking an AL rim. I can't get there when the rim costs $200. So, I pump my tire up to protect the rim, negating one of my favorite things about tubeless. Anyway, that's just my experience.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    In the name of playing devils advocate...

Isn't keeping enough pressure to avoid rock strikes the way to ensure a long life for any rim?

I've ruined/bashed the hell outta plenty AL rims before I switched to carbon...
    RTM beat me to it. I ran similar tire pressure on my aluminum rims before I switched to carbon. Difference is with the carbon rims I religiously check pressure before every ride. I could keep riding a ding'd up alum rim versus dumping a cracked carbon straight in the trash.

mtbr member
    Well, guess I'm riding a ticking time bomb then... :-/
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+

Bos
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Something that's made me hesitant to try carbon is indeed the price and as a result, the worry. I think I'd rather relax more and suffer the weight difference. What aluminum rims are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    indeed it is. I've said it elsewhere, in my experience, the same circumstances will cause an AL and carbon rim to fail. AL dents, Carbon cracks.

The reason it stings so bad with carbon is most of us are taking a leap of faith and/or shouting down our inner penny pincher to put $400 (shipped) "cheap" rims on our bike. Cheap for carbon maybe, but not for rims. We take the plunge and hope it will be fantastic. And it is. So we start praying they don't crack. I love these wheels, Please don't crack. BAM, crack...the disappointment is magnified 10 fold.

Personally I decided to go back to AL. I'm paying a 100g weight penalty, but paying about $70/rim (shipped). I also learned that in the grand scheme of things, I like tubeless at a pretty low tire pressure. Mentally, I'm OK doing that and risking an AL rim. I can't get there when the rim costs $200. So, I pump my tire up to protect the rim, negating one of my favorite things about tubeless. Anyway, that's just my experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast