Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Light Bicycle Carbon Rims

179K views 772 replies 212 participants last post by  Prophet Julio 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello MTBR,

Sorry for being late to the party and not participating in the forums in the past. We felt that we needed more experience before talking to customers here. We will try to answer your questions as openly as possible.

If you need warranty support, please fill out the form here. If you have an OEM inquiry or other important private message, then we invite you to contact us directly.

We have learned so much from our customers and it's been very exciting to be a part of the cycling industry. Your trust has allowed us to continually develop our product line and technology. Thank you to those who have given us a chance over the years!

#733 ·
The rims are EIE A29C25D22S with DT Swiss 240 hubs (28h), CX Ray Spokes, Al nipples. Probably one of the easiest ways to drop a pound off my bike. The stock wheels came in at 1750g on my Spark RC WC.

I'm in the process of mounting tires and will report back on the ride quality. I can't imagine anything out of the ordinary though. Never rode CF wheels before but I'm sure they will work as expected.

#741 ·
My long wait is over! Today I recieved my new Light Bicycle carbon fatbike wheelset. FAT680 rims (85mm), i9 Hydra hubs, sapim d-light spokes and brass nipples. Overall quality seems to be top notch!:thumbsup:

Wheelset weights roughly: front 920g and rear 1100g.

They set up tubeless so easy with a floorpump and they dont leak air even without a sealant.

I will let you know how they ride:)

I tried to add some pics but got error when I tryed to add them. I will try again later.

#744 ·
I went with LB AM930 wheels over the We are One union wheels for a couple reasons. The LB wheels were a couple hundred dollars cheaper, I've had a few sets of LB wheels with zero issues and We are One wheels have a 3-6 week lead time. Both wheels use the I9 Hydra hubs but the LB wheels allow the option of Sapim D light spokes which saves some weight plus the AM930 rims are lighter than the Union rims.

My wheelset taped with valve stems came in at 1710 grams.

#746 ·
Now starting the long wait to receive my rims from BTLOS, Hadley and Sram hubs (didn't want to spend much on the front), and DR Swiss spokes from Amazon. Since I changed all that, decided to go for a 203 front rotor instead of the existing 180. When this money spending will end???!!!

P.S.: Now shopping for decently priced tires.

#747 ·
Just received 925 wheel set with 240 hubs, Sapim X-rays, 29”. Ordered 5/14 from the international site and arrived today. The delivery guy thought the box was empty, very light! Without tape or valves 770g rear 620g front. Tape and valves are about 38g. Now my orbea oiz tr just needs to show up, delivery scheduled for 6/17. can’t wait to try these out.

#748 ·
Just received 925 wheel set with 240 hubs, Sapim X-rays, 29". Ordered 5/14 from the international site and arrived today. The delivery guy thought the box was empty, very light! Without tape or valves 770g rear 620g front. Tape and valves are about 38g. Now my orbea oiz tr just needs to show up, delivery scheduled for 6/17. can't wait to try these out.
I built up the same rims for my Oiz-TR

Did you go with the "flyweight" front rim?

Attachments

#752 ·
Just built a wheelset with these 650b x 40mm light bicycle AM733 rims

These wheels are excellent. Came up to tension perfectly. The offset helps even out the spoke length. Very consistent and barely any truing necessary.

Mounted them up tubeless, the shape of the rim center makes it easy to mount up tires without spoons, yet you can still seat the tire with only a floor pump. The beadlocks do a very good job holding the tire on even when deflated.

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Bicycle part

#753 ·
The lifetime warranty doesnt include rock strikes. So its worthless essentially.

I have cracked one of the Lb older rims. Not looking for warranty coverage. I am just looking at all the options.

So recon pro 260ish$ warranty doesnt cover crash or rock strikes. 450 grams.

We are one 400-450 no questions asked warranty anything that happens on the trail is covered. 425 grams

Santa cruz reserve $600 no questions asked warranty crashes and rock strikes covered. 475-500 grams.

Zipp 3zero moto $700 lifetime warranty including crash and rock strikes. Little heavier 545 grams but the coolest looking and has built in compliance.

Enve stupid expensive have to remove tire to adjust spokes no way.

Are there any others I should consider?

Winner right now seems to be WAO which is the lightest and cheapest rim with a legitimate lifetime you break it we give you a new one warranty.

#763 ·
I went with LB on the assumption that for the cost of most others, and one warranty replacement (because I just pin it through rock gardens despite being a ~260lb vehicle with pack installed), I'd still be money ahead. I use them like I still need to justify replacing the rear wheel on both bikes... but they haven't given up.

For my part I'd probably choose WeAreOne wheels as a complete build, but getting LB complete sets on DT350's and having my LBS work on the tension to where it's spot on (after a couple rides) has been a really solid value. The 31.6/38mm Enduro wheels are pretty solid, even at my weight and lack of talent.

#764 ·
Its cool the actual tech is good the rims are nice just want more security.

I have CK hubs so I just want rims. I have my lbs build them thats $65 plus 32 spokes. Then add in shipping for new rim I'm out $125 for a new wheel to be built on warranty rim.

If I buy 1 Lb rim at $250 and crack it total cost of replacement is $375 or $625.

So if I crack only 1 rim ever I'm still up money after 1 replacement.

I'm 145lbs and a pretty smooth rider but I was kom hunting and made 1 wrong choice and that's all it takes.

#769 ·
Well, I think I'm done with LB.

The 29+ on Hydra set I ordered last April had been really fantastic, dead true until yesterday afternoon, when on a regular trail ride the bead failed fairly dramatically. I was able to stick a tube in and limp home... All the way home, because I pedalled to the trail head.

Talked to LB. Not a warranty...crash replacement offer 'with discount' is exactly the price listed on LBs site. I told them I was disappointed...got 5% off. So I have to buy a new rim after a little over a year, and get my wheel rebuilt. The OEM Alex junk held up better.

The contrast with I9 is pretty remarkable. LB is officially in the too cheap to be worth it camp for me... Easy to break, useless warranty.

#771 ·
I have 2 sets of LB for about 6 years now, soon to be 3, never any issues. You are saying your tire-bead failed? Or the rim? It just blew out, or was it a rim-strike? Got pictures? I have broken a Nextie, due to not running enough pressure, my fault.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.