Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    www.lightbicycle.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    Hey LB, I have been super happy with my 38mm, 650b rims.. Had them built up locally with Lefty front hub and Am Class 225 rear hub. 1,700 grams.

I saw a question the other day regarding water getting into the wheel through the spokes and it has no way to escape. I never thought about this before, but it is true. I saw another Carbon Fiber rim had a weep hole next to the valve stem on the sidewall. That makes sense. It only allows water to drain from the cavity on the other side of the tubeless zone. My old aluminum rims had a pinned joint so water was able to escape. No such route for your rims without a weep hole.

Thanks for your support.
    One option could be to remove your tire and tubeless valve stem and spin the wheel fast. The centrifugal force should spit water out through the valve hole. It would work even better if the tubeless tape was removed.

It seems that if one was worried about the weight of such fluid this would be a logical way to reduce weight: Remove the tires every ~2 or 3 months to remove all of the dried up tubeless sealant off the tire and the rim, spin any water out of the rim and dry it out over night, then apply new tape and new sealant.

We do have angular drilled holes and started using a bit of grease under the nipple heads when building wheels, so this should reduce the amount of water being able to penetrate the rims.
    http://www.lightbicycle.com
    http://www.us.lightbicycle.com (North American site)
    Instagram: @lightbicycle

www.lightbicycle.com
    Some more updates:

We are bringing in DT's Competition Race spokes so we have another double butted round spoke option. These are 2/1.6/2mm instead of 2/1.8/2mm like regular Competition spokes. They will make a wheel about 70 grams lighter than with traditional Comp spokes and about 30g heavier than built with our bladed spoke options. The price will be much cheaper than bladed and they are quite strong. It would be a good choice for AM riding.

We have released more asymmetric rims, a 30mm wide 650b rim and a 28mm wide 29" rim. AM724 asymmetric rim profile carbon 650b mountain bike rims Light-Bicycle
    XC923 asymmetric rim profile carbon 29er bike rims Light-Bicycle

We are adding more standard wheelset builds including our asymmetrical line. We have more updating to do, so if you don't see the combination you want you can e-mail us or check our custom wheelset form.

Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-650b-bike-wheels.jpg

Cactus Cuddler
    Will you be able to offer the
    DT Aero Comp ( 2.0 - 2.3x1.2 - 2.0mm ) spokes as well?

Those on any of the standard wheel build sets would be extremely interesting, especially with the variety of hubs on offer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi, please feel free to contact if you choose.

I am looking for a wide wheelset that is strong. I am nearly 300lbs. I need something strong. I defenitely would like LOUD hubs.. What is your recommendation?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    LB- My local shop talked me into trying your product (same shop SDMTB'er haunts). I purchased a set of rims back in JAN and the shop built them up with I9 hubs. Weight is as advertised, and out on the trail they feel as good as the Easton Carbon Havens and EC70 Trails wheelsets that I run on my other bikes. Can't beat the price, and the overall quality seems to be pretty good. I run them on some choppy DH sections at nearly 40MPH without a concern of failure. I've been recommending them to my buddies who want to upgrade, and am actually going to order a set of 27.5+ to build up on my stock hubs once I get some extra cash.
    Have at it!

www.lightbicycle.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    Will you be able to offer the
    DT Aero Comp ( 2.0 - 2.3x1.2 - 2.0mm ) spokes as well?

Those on any of the standard wheel build sets would be extremely interesting, especially with the variety of hubs on offer.
    For now we are just offering 2/2.2/.9/2mm bladed spokes. If you are concerned about strength or durability, we could use round spokes on the rear and bladed up front as an option. We brought in Competition Race spokes which are probably similar in strength and weight to the Aero Comps. We have to order in large quantities from DT Swiss, in many sizes, and it takes quite a while to get them so when we offer new spokes it has to be a commitment for the whole lineup ideally.

www.lightbicycle.com
    Quote Originally Posted by SprSonik View Post
    LB- My local shop talked me into trying your product (same shop SDMTB'er haunts). I purchased a set of rims back in JAN and the shop built them up with I9 hubs. Weight is as advertised, and out on the trail they feel as good as the Easton Carbon Havens and EC70 Trails wheelsets that I run on my other bikes. Can't beat the price, and the overall quality seems to be pretty good. I run them on some choppy DH sections at nearly 40MPH without a concern of failure. I've been recommending them to my buddies who want to upgrade, and am actually going to order a set of 27.5+ to build up on my stock hubs once I get some extra cash.
    I'm happy you are enjoying the product, thank you for the comments!

www.lightbicycle.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammy9398 View Post
    Hi, please feel free to contact if you choose.

I am looking for a wide wheelset that is strong. I am nearly 300lbs. I need something strong. I defenitely would like LOUD hubs.. What is your recommendation?

Thank you.
    Assuming you want strong 650b rims, either of these in the Heavy Duty version 32h would work well for you. carbon mountain bike rim-mountain bike rim,mountain rims,mtb rim,mtb rims,carbon mtb rim Light-Bicycle

The most reliable hubs that are loud are Chris King's. They will be able to handle the torque and be quite reliable for you. If you run 11 speed sram then the regular alloy freehub is fine, however if you run a standard HG cassette (not Sram 11 speed), you should consider their stainless steel freehub so that the cassette does not wear into the the softer alloy freehub. Our price on these isn't great, so I would recommend sourcing them locally or online and then just purchasing the rims from us. We can sell you the right spokes and nipples that you need if that makes it more convenient for you. Just send us an e-mail support@lightbicycle.com and paste this conversation as reference.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    My 5 month old rear rim just crack on last ride. not sure how it happened, no crashes, no jumping, no big drops.
    Wondering what kind of warranty, or if i still could fix it. I already email LB.

it was 25 miles or trail riding, mix of smooth flowy singletrack, some rock garden, fire road, etc..nothing crazy technical. I noticed this crack at mile 19 while waiting for my buddies. i honestly did not recall any impact or rock strike. No leaking so far, still holding the pressure well.

this is the same rim on my previous post regarding delaminating spot, which I put clear tape over, you can see on this pic as well.

Attachment 1058206
    Curious: Are you hauling your bike on a rack where the wheel might be sitting too close to the car's exhaust?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was just about ready to order some Light Bicycles 27mm (outer) 650B rims when I was recommend 'Carbon Bicycle' rims.... on their site (Carbonfan|Carbon Rim|Carbon Wheel|Carbon Bicycle|Carbon Frame|Carbon Bike Part|Mountain bike -which looks the same as the Light Bicycles site) I can get 28mm wide Asymmetrical 650B wheels for the same price. I haven't been considering a lot of other retailers other than LB because in general they have the best reviews, but Carbon Bicycle has the same physical address and I can't help but wonder if its the same company.

Has anyone had Carbon Bicycle Asymmetrical rims they can comment on?

mtbr member
    I have purchased three wheelset's and one set of rims from LB all have been trouble free. My last set of rims I ordered from carbon bicycle 35od 29id asked for 400 grams and they came at exact 400 gram's each. Now have 10 rides on them built with 240 dt hub's and there just right. I would recommend both companies.

mtbr member
    I just received my 650b asym wheelset and am having a really difficult time getting my Maxxis tires onto the rim. Any suggestions?

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    I just received my 650b asym wheelset and am having a really difficult time getting my Maxxis tires onto the rim. Any suggestions?
    soapy water and good tire levers. also a good IPA and gratuitous use of profanity helps.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    soapy water and good tire levers. also a good IPA and gratuitous use of profanity helps.
    The latter has definitely been used. I'll try the soapy water. I'm just nervous with the tire levers as these are my first carbon rims.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    As you mount the tire, pull the entire length of the bead (all of the way around) down into the center channel as you go. It will naturally want to sit up on the bead seat. But by moving it into the center channel, you will have more slack to work with for the part of the tire not yet mounted. It can take a little practice to wrestle the entire thing down into the center channel at the same time and keep it there. But it makes all of the difference. Last weekend I mounted a fresh Maxxis tire on my LB rims without tools using this technique. And I don't have forearms like Popeye.

Just to keep going on this, use the same technique when removing the tire. First, squeeze the tire so it goes up over the bead seat and down into the center channel. Getting it started is the hardest part, but once it starts, the rest will be easy. Once you have the entire length of the tire bead down in the center channel, put your tire lever under the bead and pry it off. It will go about 10X easier that way.

I use soap on my hands once I'm done working with the tires.

mtbr member
    I tried this and it was so much easier! I just pinched the bead all the way around the tire so that most of it was in the center channel and, voila, the last bit of the bead popped over effortlessly. Dumped in 3 oz of Orange tubeless 'juice', hooked up the compressor, and the bead popped into place no problem, without any soap.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Glad to help. I got my rims last summer and after I spent way too long fighting a losing battle trying to mount the tire, a friend shared this pearl of wisdom with me. Now go forth and be radical my son.

mtbr member
    What tubeless sealant do you all use? Is there a product that's better (or worse) for carbon?

mtbr member
    This is my first time trying Orange, but I've seen it recommended multiple times. You really have to shake it up, but it worked well on initial inflation for me. I'll report back after several rides.

aka: Bucky Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    What tubeless sealant do you all use? Is there a product that's better (or worse) for carbon?
    Was using Orangeseal but now using something even better. A new Slime that I have had the chance to beta test during R&D since last Nov. The old stuff Slime Pro on the market now is good, too. This new stuff will not effect carbon hoops. Only a trace of ammonia that goes away. There's a carbon hoop soaking in it now. It should be released pretty soon. It's the bomb and one application will last a whole lot longer than any other goo. And it cleans up in soapy water! Watch for it!
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    I don't know about better or worse for carbon. I'm currently using Orange Seal. But I don't plan to buy it again. That stuff dries out fast. The Bontrager stuff worked better for me overall.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    I don't know about better or worse for carbon. I'm currently using Orange Seal. But I don't plan to buy it again. That stuff dries out fast. The Bontrager stuff worked better for me overall.
    I agree, I prefer the Bontrager sealant over the Orange Seal. Try to remove the Orange Seal after it's dry is a pain.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

smartass
    After 20 hard months, my rear finally cracked:

Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-12931029_754836327949472_9217486057286480939_n.jpg

This is the original 30/35mm hookless rim, not the new offset version. AM layup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    @light-bicycle,

Do the new XC923 rims have +/- 4 degree angular drilled spoke holes like the AM928 rims?

Do they have centered nipple access holes (tire side of rim) like the AM928 rims?

What is the rationale for mis-aligning the nipple access holes (which are centered) from the offset/asym spoke holes? This makes it difficult/impossible to use nipple drivers through the access hole to build the wheel.

mtbr member
    Purchased Dec.17, 2016, received about 3 weeks later.

This was yesterday.

mtbr member
    This one lasted 10 months...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    kind of doubting that alloy would have fared any better ...
    Last edited by TheUnknownRider; 04-10-2016 at 06:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownRider View Post
    I was just thinking this. I believe carbon has proven itself as a valid material and LB has proven to be a very good product at a much lower price point. Why aren't people posting snuff pictures of their taco'd and dented alloy rims? Carbon can and eventually will fail, but I'd be willing to bet my next three wheelsets that you will be replacing less carbon rims than you would be replacing alloy rims of similar weight and dimension.

These are likely the exception to the rule in my sig.
    "Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownRider View Post
    The top one, I don't think that one is my fault. Failed at a seam.

The second one I blame myself. Even though the drop was only about 2 feet tall I did give that rim hell a few days earlier.

I have submitted the pictures and info for warranty replacement. I'll post updates to let you all know how their customer service is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hey LB,

Thanks for joining the forum to share information with us. Do you have any plans to develop rims with an inside width measuring between the 31.6mm AM rims and 45mm plus rims?
    Last edited by phride; 04-12-2016 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by phride View Post
    Hey LB,

Thanks for joining the forum to share information with us. Do you have any plans to develop rims with inside diameter between the 31.6mm AM rims and 45mm plus rims?
    Inside width, not inside diameter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Inside width, not inside diameter.
    Right. I was speccing piping before taking a break for lunch and posting that. I'll clean that up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    I like to let the tires sit in the sun for an hour or so, they are a little more pliable when warm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    My 5 month old rear rim just crack on last ride. not sure how it happened, no crashes, no jumping, no big drops.
    Wondering what kind of warranty, or if i still could fix it. I already email LB.

it was 25 miles or trail riding, mix of smooth flowy singletrack, some rock garden, fire road, etc..nothing crazy technical. I noticed this crack at mile 19 while waiting for my buddies. i honestly did not recall any impact or rock strike. No leaking so far, still holding the pressure well.

this is the same rim on my previous post regarding delaminating spot, which I put clear tape over, you can see on this pic as well.

Attachment 1058206
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    My WiSH for Light-Bicycle is to step up their customer and after sales service.

I have bought 2 sets of wheels from them. the first rim crack after regular riding and given a $15 dollar discount on the replacement...duh. I take it anyway coz I need to ride asap.

A second rim fail with 1 spoke pulled out of the rim. the reply I got is my rim is over a year and out of warranty. that's all.

I am NOT asking for a free rim. they should at least help a rider get back on the wheels faster. Am I right???
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    After 20 hard months, my rear finally cracked:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12931029_754836327949472_9217486057286480939_n.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	1062582

This is the original 30/35mm hookless rim, not the new offset version. AM layup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post

This was yesterday.
    This one lasted 10 months...
    The top one, I don't think that one is my fault. Failed at a seam.

The second one I blame myself. Even though the drop was only about 2 feet tall I did give that rim hell a few days earlier.

I have submitted the pictures and info for warranty replacement. I'll post updates to let you all know how their customer service is.

Five failed rims and no response to any of them. I'm sure it is difficult to know how to best respond to something other than glowing praise but some kind of response would be great. I'm curious what happened with @Justin MD's warranty submission.

I'll add my own cracked rim. I ride rocky terrain in Austin, Tx so it is generally not the most rim friendly place. I weigh ~205 lbs, don't smoke, only do small wuss sized drops.

Purchased 27.5 35/30 rims April of 2015 (so, out of warranty), built up and did my first ride on June of last year. According to GPS I have around 350 miles on them (most of my miles come by way of commuting on a different bike). No time spent at bike parks.

The only "events" I can think of that might have caused this were a pinch flat on a rock about a month ago (punctured the tire casing severely enough to where Stan's wouldn't seal) and then the rough spot I was descending on when I got the flat where I discovered the damaged area this past weekend.

I've been riding for over 20 years, have never taco'd a rim, have never crushed a rim.

Resolution from LB was a $10 discount on a new rim. I can't afford $200+ in yearly wheel expenses and I certainly don't want to incur the down time or have one fail during the rare bike trip so I am going to switch over to Stan's Flow MK3. Were I to get a stronger carbon rim, I'll be at the 450 gram range and would only be saving about 30 grams per rim by going with LB carbon over Stan's Flow MK3. Ibis has an alloy rim of the same width (29mm inner) but it is slightly heavier (500 grams) and Stan's just seem to last forever.

It is a bit frustrating to read that they came out with a new rim and are covering that one for 2 years with a 25% crash replacement warranty versus 1 year for the pair I purchased.

I personally know of several people who are having good luck with their LB rims and I know people here will just dismiss the failures as part of biking or anomolies but some might appreciate knowing before they buy.
    Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-rimfail.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle View Post
    Five failed rims and no response to any of them. I'm sure it is difficult to know how to best respond to something other than glowing praise but some kind of response would be great. I'm curious what happened with @Justin MD's warranty submission.

I'll add my own cracked rim. I ride rocky terrain in Austin, Tx so it is generally not the most rim friendly place. I weigh ~205 lbs, don't smoke, only do small wuss sized drops.

Purchased 27.5 35/30 rims April of 2015 (so, out of warranty), built up and did my first ride on June of last year. According to GPS I have around 350 miles on them (most of my miles come by way of commuting on a different bike). No time spent at bike parks.

The only "events" I can think of that might have caused this were a pinch flat on a rock about a month ago (punctured the tire casing severely enough to where Stan's wouldn't seal) and then the rough spot I was descending on when I got the flat where I discovered the damaged area this past weekend.

I've been riding for over 20 years, have never taco'd a rim, have never crushed a rim.

Resolution from LB was a $10 discount on a new rim. I can't afford $200+ in yearly wheel expenses and I certainly don't want to incur the down time or have one fail during the rare bike trip so I am going to switch over to Stan's Flow MK3. Were I to get a stronger carbon rim, I'll be at the 450 gram range and would only be saving about 30 grams per rim by going with LB carbon over Stan's Flow MK3. Ibis has an alloy rim of the same width (29mm inner) but it is slightly heavier (500 grams) and Stan's just seem to last forever.

It is a bit frustrating to read that they came out with a new rim and are covering that one for 2 years with a 25% crash replacement warranty versus 1 year for the pair I purchased.

I personally know of several people who are having good luck with their LB rims and I know people here will just dismiss the failures as part of biking or anomolies but some might appreciate knowing before they buy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rimfail.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	1070954
    Appreciate the post. As for your decision to go with the Flow as a replacement, are those rims pretty darn durable? Only reason I am looking into carbon at all is the supposed durability factor along with my relatively conservative riding style. Also, I have had issues with Stan's rims going out of true... a lot, but that is based on first gen Arch's, ZTR race or whatever they are called's, Crest's, and the original Alpha 340's on road. I know the Flow is wider, and meant for more abuse, and I actually read a post in one of the Chinese carbon wheel threads that a flow should actually be stronger. Do you believe that to be the case? It sounds like you have some experience with those rims, so I figure you are a good person to ask.

At the end of the day, durability is my main concern, then price, then weight, and I will gladly sacrifice weight if I can gain durability.

Maromero
    Wow! I must be very lucky, Ive been using my 23 mm ID LB's for almost two years and they are still holding on! just some scratches.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Appreciate the post. As for your decision to go with the Flow as a replacement, are those rims pretty darn durable? Only reason I am looking into carbon at all is the supposed durability factor along with my relatively conservative riding style. Also, I have had issues with Stan's rims going out of true... a lot, but that is based on first gen Arch's, ZTR race or whatever they are called's, Crest's, and the original Alpha 340's on road. I know the Flow is wider, and meant for more abuse, and I actually read a post in one of the Chinese carbon wheel threads that a flow should actually be stronger. Do you believe that to be the case? It sounds like you have some experience with those rims, so I figure you are a good person to ask.

At the end of the day, durability is my main concern, then price, then weight, and I will gladly sacrifice weight if I can gain durability.
    I've never actually owned Flows. I've had Arches which I bought second hand laced up to i9s and then sold them to a friend who is now running them singlespeed and are still holding up well. You've probably had more experience with Stan's rims than I have so you have to use your gut on that. One thing that I do think matters is the quality of the build. I've always tried to get the best wheel builder in town to lace mine up. On my 29er Stumpjumper I have a set of Mavic TN-719 laced to DT Swiss 240s hubs that I've got the most miles on and I cannot destroy them despite wanting to lace them up with something wider.

Anecdotally, I've seen more trouble-free miles on Stan's rims than on any other rim amongst the people I know.

I also am not sure what would be a lighter and more durable choice without spending at least $400 for Derby or NOX composites. Ibis has an aluminum rim with 29mm inner diameter for $100 that looks promising. WTB i29 looks nice and is explicitly UST compatible but is a bit heavier than the Flow MK3.

Either way, the MK3 will be a slight gamble since they are new but Stan's products have only gotten better and better and they have solid support so I'm going to give them a shot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    Wow! I must be very lucky, Ive been using my 23 mm ID LB's for almost two years and they are still holding on! just some scratches.
    Maybe you're lucky or maybe I was unlucky or maybe the physics of a more narrow rim and the amount of material used was in your favor. I do think it is telling that the newer asym rim has 25% thicker rim bead than the old rim and is touted to have better impact protection.

Quote Originally Posted by light bicycle View Post
    Our new asymmetrical rims are now online and in stock, here are the details:

We have had these molds at the factory for a while now but wanted to perfect the layup and the whole program before releasing on our website. The new rims are 28mm internally and 34mm externally with a relatively thick and short hookless bead for solid impact protection. They have the usual bead seat bump for ease of tubeless setup and security against burping. The 650 version weighs in at 400-410g per rim and the 29 425-435g. We've called the lighter version the AM728 and AM928 respectively (7 or 9 is for the diameter, and the 28 is the internal width). The AM is the light version, and the EN728 and EN928 is the heavier version with extra reinforcement which adds about 45-50g to each rim. We do a complete T700 3k wrap internally so you're getting reinforcement on the sidewalls, center channel, and nipple seats. The EN version is good for more aggressive Enduro style riders.

We offer a 2 year 25% off crash replacement policy (on these rims only).

www.lightbicycle.com
    Quote Originally Posted by phride View Post
    Hey LB,

Thanks for joining the forum to share information with us. Do you have any plans to develop rims with an inside width measuring between the 31.6mm AM rims and 45mm plus rims?
    Ask and you shall receive
    Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-27.5-inch-mtb-rims.jpg

www.lightbicycle.com
    I like to let the tires sit in the sun for an hour or so, they are a little more pliable when warm.
    I've seen a few good tips on tire installation, thanks for sharing this one as well.

Another one to remember is to use very thin tubeless tape if your tires are tight (even once fully centered in the drop channel). Gorilla tape or using too many layers of tubeless tape adds enough thickness to make tires fit too tightly.

mtbr member
    Slightly off topic, but what tire pressure do you guys recommend running on the new 38mm internal assym rims? I've got a 2.5 up front and a 2.3 rear and have been running 21psi and 24psi, respectively. How low do you think I can go?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Like anything else in life, this is a question only you can answer. Like torquing the bolts on the stem of your bike, tighten until it breaks, then back off 1/4 turn. I would try going a couple PSI lower on each ride until you either get too much sidewall flex, or you get a bottom out on the tire, then go back up 2 PSI. Keep in mind it's highly dependent on how aggressively you ride, they type of terrain, and how much gear you have in your pack.
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've gotta think that some of you are running irresponsibly low pressures if you're blowing up LB rims like that.

I have over 2,500 miles on my set that is on my CX bike (fully rigid and small, low volume tires obviously) and I ride it on singletrack with softball sized rock gardens, small jumps, and ~1ft drops and I'm 235lbs. I motor them over fallen trees and have hit gopher holes hard enough to make my hands and man parts go numb (didn't see it coming, hit it with full weight on saddle/bars)

Obviously there is nastier terrain out there than what I'm riding on but I'm heavy and on a rigid bike. With 2.3-2.5" tires and 5" of suspension these could be ridden anywhere with the right pressures.

Just a flesh wound
    I would want to know which rims failed. The 38's? The 35's? Layup etc..?

A tire loses pressure and the impact to the rim happens during a descent. Could be catastrophic. I have taco'd a few alu rims. I will be curious to see how long my LB's last. They feel like they will last forever. Super happy with them.

As an aside, I had mine built locally by a very experienced and professional wheel builder. Lefty front hub, 32h and American Classic 225 Disc, 32h rear hub.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I've gotta think that some of you are running irresponsibly low pressures if you're blowing up LB rims like that.

I have over 2,500 miles on my set that is on my CX bike (fully rigid and small, low volume tires obviously) and I ride it on singletrack with softball sized rock gardens, small jumps, and ~1ft drops and I'm 235lbs. I motor them over fallen trees and have hit gopher holes hard enough to make my hands and man parts go numb (didn't see it coming, hit it with full weight on saddle/bars)

Obviously there is nastier terrain out there than what I'm riding on but I'm heavy and on a rigid bike. With 2.3-2.5" tires and 5" of suspension these could be ridden anywhere with the right pressures.
    I generally run 25-28 in the rear, Bontrager XR3 2.35, mounted to a Devinci Spartan.

At the time that the rim broke, I had a tube in it and has just pumped it to 32-ish. So much higher than normal.

Maybe with your rim they used more material for the given width? Hard to tell. In my opinion, carbon rim makers should do a two year warranty and offer "crash" replacement at cost if not less. If they fear having to swap out too many rims, perhaps it would be motivation to add a small amount more material and/or improve the design.

I might have been ok with half price replacement cost and being down for the weeks it takes to get a rim but that's not what I was offered so I'm moving on to a different brand.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    I would want to know which rims failed. The 38's? The 35's? Layup etc..?

A tire loses pressure and the impact to the rim happens during a descent. Could be catastrophic. I have taco'd a few alu rims. I will be curious to see how long my LB's last. They feel like they will last forever. Super happy with them.

As an aside, I had mine built locally by a very experienced and professional wheel builder. Lefty front hub, 32h and American Classic 225 Disc, 32h rear hub.
    Mine was the 35mm outer/30mm inner AM 650b rim.

http://www.light-bicycle.com/Hookles...ompatible.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I generally run 25-28 in the rear, Bontrager XR3 2.35, mounted to a Devinci Spartan.

At the time that the rim broke, I had a tube in it and has just pumped it to 32-ish. So much higher than normal.

Maybe with your rim they used more material for the given width? Hard to tell. In my opinion, carbon rim makers should do a two year warranty and offer "crash" replacement at cost if not less. If they fear having to swap out too many rims, perhaps it would be motivation to add a small amount more material and/or improve the design.

I might have been ok with half price replacement cost and being down for the weeks it takes to get a rim but that's not what I was offered so I'm moving on to a different brand.

I have Rovals on my mountain bike and run 22 front/26 rear on 29x2.3 tires. No issues but I'm not hucking big jumps or drops. Have done a couple 3-4ft drops though no problem though.

And yeah there's something to be said for Enve's warranty (5 year, lifetime crash replacement). You certainly pay for it though...

mtbr member
    That's what I thought. I like those companies and 5 years of warranty certainly speaks for the product.
    On the other hand, how many LB rims can you get for one Enve?

Von meinem iPhone gesendet.

Just a flesh wound
    The 35/30 rims have a lot less material in the rim strike area than the 38/31.6 rims. I was saving my $ for the Derby's when the LB 38's came out. 3.2mm at the lip vs 2.5mm and the depth of the rim, 32mm v 25mm. 15% more weight as well. Very different with regards to ultimate strength, theoretically.

Dr. Justin, did you get a response?
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    @light bicycle: your silence toward those who have posted apparent warranty claim issues here is deafening. Why is LB ignoring these posts while replying to posts regarding new products and potential new sales?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rare_breed View Post
    @light bicycle: your silence toward those who have posted apparent warranty claim issues here is deafening. Why is LB ignoring these posts while replying to posts regarding new products and potential new sales?
    I assume they are communicating with them in private. Would still be better to do it via the open forum. This is coming from a potential future client.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt0n1te View Post
    I assume they are communicating with them in private. Would still be better to do it via the open forum. This is coming from a potential future client.

No communication with me via PM. Though in fairness, I emailed them about the failure and they responded very quickly. I didn't like the resolution, 10 dollar discount, but one was offered.

I'd have stayed with them and put up with the down time and multi week delivery time had they offered replacement for 50% off. Not enough benefit and too much risk in staying with them at this point.

mtbr member
    Common sense would dictate that wheels or rims you buy for...significantly less than half of market price for similar wheels or rims will fall short of the more expensive product, as will the warranty.

If that's too much to grasp, do without, or shell out a couple grand for a quality wheelset from a company that will stand behind their product. At those prices, you would expect them to do so.

At Light Bicycle or Carbon Cycle prices, you can't expect full warranty service. Oh they could do it. But then you'd be shelling out 2k for their wheels as well.

Having a front wheel built with a LB 35/30 rim as we speak. If I break it, I buy an i29 rim and move on. But at $180 bucks for their rim, LB gave me the opportunity to try carbon. Something I can't justify doing otherwise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Common sense also says that most companies are outsourcing their carbon rims and have to add a retail mark up on top of the cost of having the rim made for them, which includes some profit for the manufacturer, in order to cover marketing, warranty, testing, food on the table and whatnot. Then distributors and retailers need to add another mark up in order to have food on their table.

So it stands to reason that the manufacturer can cut out two rounds of Mark ups and still make a quality product, if they so chose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    No communication with me via PM. Though in fairness, I emailed them about the failure and they responded very quickly. I didn't like the resolution, 10 dollar discount, but one was offered.

I'd have stayed with them and put up with the down time and multi week delivery time had they offered replacement for 50% off. Not enough benefit and too much risk in staying with them at this point.

Very insightful, thanks. Can't actually believe they ignore the "problem" posts.

mtbr member

This was yesterday.
    Ok so after going back and forth a few times about the incident they approved my replacement. A couple more emails and on 4-13-16 I paid $8 (upgraded to DH rim) and $45ish for shipping.

The rim arrived on 5-16-16.

SO that's the deal. They handled it like professionals. Took a little longer to get the rim than I thought but not so long that is was a huge disappointment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ok so after going back and forth a few times about the incident they approved my replacement. A couple more emails and on 4-13-16 I paid $8 (upgraded to DH rim) and $45ish for shipping.

SO that's the deal. They handled it like professionals. Took a little longer to get the rim than I thought but not so long that is was a huge disappointment.
    That is a positive outcome. Shipping seems crazy but at least you're not out $200. It does seem that they are taking care of people if the rim breaks while under warranty.

www.lightbicycle.com
    Hi rare_breed,

I am not set up to actively discuss warranty issues here. This is why I asked for warranty related inquiries to be directed to our site in the original post and fill out a claim. These kinds of matters should be discussed privately by e-mail and not on an open forum.
    Warranty Policy - light-bicycle Light-Bicycle

We know there has been some frustration with warranty coverage at times. Here are a few comments that may help bring some clarity to where our business is at:

Our rims are constantly being improved, our percentage of cracked rims is now around 3% or less. This is a total percentage of rims that fail (many of which are rider error, not a manufacturing defect). Many of our new rims have shallower hookless beads which are also thicker and can handle impacts better. Our resins, carbon fiber, machinery, air bladders, and other manufacturing processes are always improving as well. We've come a long way in the past 5 years.

Many of our rims are priced very competitively so it is hard for us to offer a significant discount for crash replacement rims. There has to be a balance. In our case, we get compared to other Chinese manufacturers which (in most cases) do not put as much time into their product as we do, so it adds pricing pressure. We have been working on higher end product lines to start to cater to a broader customer base, while still offering value priced good quality rims direct to consumers.

Our asymmetric line of rims for example is inventoried so we can ship quickly. Yes it is more expensive (inventory and our product improvements cost more), but it does offer a higher level of service. The crash replacement coverage is increased and time period is doubled. With the addition of increased performance and durability etc. this could be a viable option for customers wanting something at this level.

www.lightbicycle.com

Website improvements

We have a few new website improvements I thought I would share with MTBR:

1. Our inventory system is now linked to our website. When you are choosing rims or wheelsets, the lead time will be displayed

2. The Wheelsets weight now calculates as you build and choose your options

3. We've had tubeless tape and valves available for a while, but now we've added them to the product pages as an option for convenience.

Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-inventory.png

Seems to me like a pretty damned reasonable response. Thanks Light-Bike!

mtbr member
    To me too. If even these prices had enough "dough" to allow large crash replacement and after-warranty claims, I would've been really surprised and frightened about the product quality itself.
    This way it makes total sense. What you pay goes into the product itself, end of story.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by light bicycle View Post
    Hi rare_breed,

I am not set up to actively discuss warranty issues here. This is why I asked for warranty related inquiries to be directed to our site in the original post and fill out a claim. These kinds of matters should be discussed privately by e-mail and not on an open forum.
    Warranty Policy - light-bicycle Light-Bicycle

We know there has been some frustration with warranty coverage at times. Here are a few comments that may help bring some clarity to where our business is at:

Our rims are constantly being improved, our percentage of cracked rims is now around 3% or less. This is a total percentage of rims that fail (many of which are rider error, not a manufacturing defect). Many of our new rims have shallower hookless beads which are also thicker and can handle impacts better. Our resins, carbon fiber, machinery, air bladders, and other manufacturing processes are always improving as well. We've come a long way in the past 5 years.

Many of our rims are priced very competitively so it is hard for us to offer a significant discount for crash replacement rims. There has to be a balance. In our case, we get compared to other Chinese manufacturers which (in most cases) do not put as much time into their product as we do, so it adds pricing pressure. We have been working on higher end product lines to start to cater to a broader customer base, while still offering value priced good quality rims direct to consumers.

Our asymmetric line of rims for example is inventoried so we can ship quickly. Yes it is more expensive (inventory and our product improvements cost more), but it does offer a higher level of service. The crash replacement coverage is increased and time period is doubled. With the addition of increased performance and durability etc. this could be a viable option for customers wanting something at this level.
    Thank you, this reply definitely put me at ease.

mtbr member
    Thank you, Light Bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just chiming in to say I'm loving my 30mm/DT 240 wheels, amazing upgrade.

mtbr member
    ^^^

Fill us in panchosdad. Are these 30 inner or outside diameter? What tires are you running on them? Are you running less air pressure than before? How much? What's your weight?

Still waiting on my LBS to complete my front wheel build.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    That is a positive outcome. Shipping seems crazy but at least you're not out $200.
    Oh for God's sake... $45 to ship a 30"x30" box around the world is not crazy. Thats what it costs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Oh for God's sake... $45 to ship a 30"x30" box around the world is not crazy. Thats what it costs.
    $0 to not have to ship a rim that didn't break after riding it for three months would have been much better, IMO! lol.

LB, that is a reasonable response. If I were to wish for anything, it would have been to see descriptions for the intended application for the rim as you are now doing with the asym rims.

"All Mountain - This model is lightweight and suitable for cross country and all mountain riding. The AM model is suitable as a front rim for lighter Enduro riders.
    Enduro - This version is a heavier weight due to the additional reinforcement. The thicker walls can handle heavier and more aggressive riders making this the best choice for Enduro style riding."

I think most riders want to get the right product for their application and that sort of verbiage helps them do this. I probably needed a heavier/stronger rim.

The wide rim space is getting competitive. With aluminum rims coming down in weight, it is harder to justify the extra cost of carbon. Looking forward to seeing what the Flow MK3 offers!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Aluminum rims are coming down in weight because everyone is removing internal reinforcements and making the walls thinner in pursuit of width at the same weight. No thanks.

The light bikes rims I've been riding are heavier than the Stan's rims they replaced several years ago. It's not about weight. It's stiffness, higher tension, ease of build, less need for truing.

There's no way for me to prove this, but I have never taken a spoke wrench to the wheels I built several years ago with LB rims. With careful tensioning they will never get the minor waves and hops that aluminum rims do. Round carbon stays round.

Still rocking the first gen of their 30mm external width with bead hooks. A few weeks after I got them they came out with hookless and I was worried my rims would crack at the bead hooks eventually. This morning I had to remove a bontrager rim strip from my rear wheel for the first time in about two years. Did a close inspection and there is no chips or delams whatsoever. My only complaint about these rims was that specialized and maxxis tires were just a tad too loose on them and I had a lot of burping, so I had to use the rim strips. WTB tires are much tighter so I finally ditched the strips. Now they are perfect again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Common sense would dictate that wheels or rims you buy for...significantly less than half of market price for similar wheels or rims will fall short of the more expensive product, as will the warranty.

If that's too much to grasp, do without, or shell out a couple grand for a quality wheelset from a company that will stand behind their product. At those prices, you would expect them to do so.

At Light Bicycle or Carbon Cycle prices, you can't expect full warranty service. Oh they could do it. But then you'd be shelling out 2k for their wheels as well.

Having a front wheel built with a LB 35/30 rim as we speak. If I break it, I buy an i29 rim and move on. But at $180 bucks for their rim, LB gave me the opportunity to try carbon. Something I can't justify doing otherwise.
    A company wants to profit from this free forum, and you think it's "common sense" to not even hold them accountable to their word, even if doing so publicly generates a positive outcome for us consumers? You're right, that is absolutely too much for me to grasp. Shill ya later....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^^^

Fill us in panchosdad. Are these 30 inner or outside diameter? What tires are you running on them? Are you running less air pressure than before? How much? What's your weight?

Still waiting on my LBS to complete my front wheel build.
    30mm id, 29x2.5 DHF Front, 2.35 NN rear, running 20F/22R lbs, which is about what I was running before, haven't tried going lower. Burped the rear flat once riding at Little Creek. I weigh 155 plus gear. DHF is running true to size, NN is almost as big. Thing I notice most is how well this setup rails corners.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Got my 30mm id 29er LB rim front wheel on the bike with a new ardent 2.4 and am about to take it out for it's first ride. At 200 lbs...I'm thinking...24psi.

Appreciate your input. Helps me to figure a starting point. A little too high...no big deal. A little to low...could be a VERY big deal.

Thanks.

www.lightbicycle.com
    $0 to not have to ship a rim that didn't break after riding it for three months would have been much better, IMO! lol.

LB, that is a reasonable response. If I were to wish for anything, it would have been to see descriptions for the intended application for the rim as you are now doing with the asym rims.

"All Mountain - This model is lightweight and suitable for cross country and all mountain riding. The AM model is suitable as a front rim for lighter Enduro riders.
    Enduro - This version is a heavier weight due to the additional reinforcement. The thicker walls can handle heavier and more aggressive riders making this the best choice for Enduro style riding."

I think most riders want to get the right product for their application and that sort of verbiage helps them do this. I probably needed a heavier/stronger rim.

The wide rim space is getting competitive. With aluminum rims coming down in weight, it is harder to justify the extra cost of carbon. Looking forward to seeing what the Flow MK3 offers!
    This is good feedback, thank you. I will put some thought into this with the team.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Common sense also says that most companies are outsourcing their carbon rims and have to add a retail mark up on top of the cost of having the rim made for them, which includes some profit for the manufacturer, in order to cover marketing, warranty, testing, food on the table and whatnot. Then distributors and retailers need to add another mark up in order to have food on their table.

So it stands to reason that the manufacturer can cut out two rounds of Mark ups and still make a quality product, if they so chose.

This is exactly what is going on with a large percentage of wheels on the market right now. I recently purchased a set of carbon rims from overseas directly and my total end cost about 1/3 of going rate of carbon wheels purchased here in the states. The funny thing is the wheel hoops I just bought are exactly identical to Nox, Ibis and another large wheel Mfg'r. Is this coincidence! well no its not. The suppliers overseas are clearly selling the unlabeled items here in the states. The advertising is word of mouth plus a website at best. I wouldn't be surprised if the lid came completely off this very very soon.
    Money not spent is Money wasted !

mtbr member
    May 2016
    ABC, Always Be Closing. They are chasing the new dollar and forgetting the existing ones. Its a bummer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Perhaps warranty should be handled via email instead of in a public forum. Now if they exhausted all other forms of communication and have had no response, then yes, they should respond here or risk loss of current and future customers.
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLust View Post
    Perhaps warranty should be handled via email instead of in a public forum. Now if they exhausted all other forms of communication and have had no response, then yes, they should respond here or risk loss of current and future customers.
    That's exactly right! This does a lot of damage to a company for reasons that could be solely on the end user. However most semi intelligent people cant tell the difference. Sad
    Money not spent is Money wasted !

mtbr member
    Any opinions or info on the need/benefit of using nipple washers with any of these rims?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Any opinions or info on the need/benefit of using nipple washers with any of these rims?
    Not necessary

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    LB: On your road wheels.. how do you feel about them being used for primary wheelset for all my road riding (I live in flatlands btw, no descending, so minimal braking)? I mean the braking surface specifically since i'm trying to understand carbon wheels and rim brake situation. I know u r supposed to use pads for carbon rims, what do you recommend? And are all the non-disc rims equipped with TG resin? Also the 25mm width, is that designed to work with 25mm tires?
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp
    '9x Spec' Hardrock Cromo rigid

mtbr member

Unfortunately, I have not the same luck.
    I purchased 29" rims one year ago, o little more, just broken during smal ride with the wife.
    I asked vivian to replace my damged one ( rear one) and they answered I can buy new one with a 5 bucks discount..
    It' doesnt sound so professional in my humble opinion as well.
    Any ideas?

www.lightbicycle.com
    Hello,

The nipple bed is thick and strong enough to not need washers. It should help reduce corrosion of alloy nipples a bit if you do use them, and it will also help build tension more easily. If you use a tiny amount of grease under the nipple heads, this also helps build tension more easily. Most riders concerned about riding in salty/wet conditions and don;t mind the extra weight build with brass nipples. Brass nipples add about 45 grams of rotational weight on an average mountain bike wheelset.

If you do decide to use washers, just be careful what size you use as the access holes may not be large enough to get your washers inside the rim. You may need to special order washers that are small enough or special order rims with enlarged access holes.

www.lightbicycle.com
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    LB: On your road wheels.. how do you feel about them being used for primary wheelset for all my road riding (I live in flatlands btw, no descending, so minimal braking)? I mean the braking surface specifically since i'm trying to understand carbon wheels and rim brake situation. I know u r supposed to use pads for carbon rims, what do you recommend? And are all the non-disc rims equipped with TG resin? Also the 25mm width, is that designed to work with 25mm tires?
    Hello,

We have carbon rim brake pads here, they are $10USD for a set of 4 pcs (complete bike). You must use brake pads intended for carbon rims, but they don't have to be ours. We don't have them listed on our site, but if you email us sales@lightbicycle.com we can send you an invoice directly for the rims and the brake pads. I've made a request to get the brake pads listed on the site.

We haven't made an official announcement yet, but we have dramatically improved our road rims ability to handle high temperatures, so it's no problem to use our rims as your primary road wheelset. The 25mm tubeless compatible road lineup is the way to go, and yes they will fit 25mm wide tires.

www.lightbicycle.com
    Has anyone tried our wide rims with the new Maxxis "Wide Trail" casing tires yet?
    Bicycle, Mountain, Minion DHF*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-27.5-inch-mtb-rims.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by arthuar View Post
    Unfortunately, I have not the same luck.
    I purchased 29" rims one year ago, o little more, just broken during smal ride with the wife.
    I asked vivian to replace my damged one ( rear one) and they answered I can buy new one with a 5 bucks discount..
    It' doesnt sound so professional in my humble opinion as well.
    Any ideas?
    How even is your spoke tension? How much do you weigh? How high were jumps, if any?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    How even is your spoke tension? How much do you weigh? How high were jumps, if any?
    Spoke tension perfectly controlled and measured as well.
    I am a 74 kg guy.
    Never jumped, no good skills unfortunately.

www.lightbicycle.com

Jersey Design

We are working on some different Jersey design concepts and would love to hear your feedback on it. If you want, you can go to the link below and leave some comments there and also rank each jersey. Thank you!

https://99designs.ca/clothing-appare...gn/vote-y6cmxz

Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-light-bicycle-jersey-design.jpeg
    Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-jersey8.jpegLight Bicycle Carbon Rims-jersey7.jpegLight Bicycle Carbon Rims-jersey6.jpegLight Bicycle Carbon Rims-jersey5.jpegLight Bicycle Carbon Rims-jersey4.jpegLight Bicycle Carbon Rims-jersey3.jpegLight Bicycle Carbon Rims-jersey2.jpeg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Those are pretty nice looking.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp
    '9x Spec' Hardrock Cromo rigid

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    General feedback, I won't even consider a non full zip jersey. Otherwise those look pretty good!

www.lightbicycle.com
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Those are pretty nice looking.
    Thanks for the feedback, I think we could do 2 jersey's, maybe an enduro style (the last one shown) without zippers and loose fit, and the 2nd last one shown full zipper. Those seem to be the most popular votes so far.

mtbr member
    Wow! They are all really great looking. Agree with full length zippers. On a road bike though, I prefer louder colors to increase conspicuity...also when on the mtb during hunting season.

Har! In going to the site and voting, I see the consensus is almost 180 degrees from my preferences. Just shows that the average, or most popular, isn't necessarily the best, otherwise McDonalds would be haute cuisine. Though in fairness, my tastes are influenced by and lean more toward road than mtb esthetics, perhaps more flamboyant rather than subdued.

mtbr member
    Yes. Very nice looking jersey.

General feedback, I won't even consider a non full zip jersey. Otherwise those look pretty good!
    Same here. Gotta be full zip. Light colors, predominantly white would be a personal preference as well. Many of us of ride in 90 f plus temps this time of year.

www.lightbicycle.com
    Wow! They are all really great looking. Agree with full length zippers. On a road bike though, I prefer louder colors to increase conspicuity...also when on the mtb during hunting season.

Har! In going to the site and voting, I see the consensus is almost 180 degrees from my preferences. Just shows that the average, or most popular, isn't necessarily the best, otherwise McDonalds would be haute cuisine. Though in fairness, my tastes are influenced by and lean more toward road than mtb esthetics, perhaps more flamboyant rather than subdued.
    Thank you for the feedback, it's not easy to decide! This is only 8 of the 50+ designs, and from there you can add color changes... Hopefully we can do a few different jerseys so there is a good selection for different disciplines and preferences.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    So I really want to buy a set of LB wide rims for my 27.5 "Enduro" bike. The only thing holding me back is I'm worried that they are too stiff and will make things feel too harsh. Opinions seem to be divided on this subject from what I've read. Some say carbon wheels are too stiff and make the ride quite harsh and causes you to "bounce around" too much in very technical sections while others say they can't tell much difference from their aluminum rims (except increased acceleration and lighter weight) in terms of harshness.

Can anyone comment on them feeling much harsher than aluminum rims? I weigh 170lbs/77kg and ride quite aggressively through very technical terrain on the north shore of Vancouver. I don't do big drops but I smash through rock/root gardens at high speed.

Would going with the 'All Mountain' version as opposed to the 'Heavy Duty' version provide a bit more flex to make them less harsh? Which model LB rims would feel the least harsh while still holding up to the type of riding I do?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm riding the 31.6/38mm rims. My bike is full rigid and I don't notice much difference from my previous aluminum rims. In fact the ride is better because I'm running slightly lower pressure than before. This is only one person's opinion, but I've never understood the stiffer / harsher comments. If you've got suspension, I feel like differences in rim stiffness are going to be insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jave View Post
    So I really want to buy a set of LB wide rims for my "Enduro" bike. The only thing holding me back is I'm worried that they are too stiff and will make things feel too harsh. Opinions seem to be divided on this subject from what I've read. Some say carbon wheels are too stiff and make the ride quite harsh and causes you to "bounce around" too much in very technical sections while others say they can't tell much difference from their aluminum rims (except increased acceleration and lighter weight) in terms of harshness.

Can anyone comment on them feeling much harsher than aluminum rims? I weigh 170lbs/77kg and ride quite aggressively through very technical terrain on the north shore of Vancouver. I don't do big drops but I smash through rock/root gardens at high speed.

Would going with the 'All Mountain' version as opposed to the 'Heavy Duty' version provide a bit more flex to make them less harsh? Which model LB rims would feel the least harsh while still holding up to the type of riding I do?

Harsh? No way. Connected? Absolutely. The lateral rigidity they offer is incredible. It's like your riding on a rail and your tire performance will be more of your focus. When I made the transition, harshness was not perceived in the least on a full suspension bike. I'm full carbon (wheels, frame, bars). Tune your suspension to suit. I ride mostly sharp rocky chunk and the entire bike feels connected with no unwanted flex. You don't realize how much flex occurs until you cancel it out and the wheels were a huge step in doing that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    One more in favor of carbon rims here. You will notice the lateral stiffness when cornering, but if your suspension is set up properly, harshness won't exist. Keep in mind you can likely run lower pressures which if anything will make your ride less harsh. That said, if rock gardens are your thing, I would go with heavy duty rear and AM front. The extra layer can only be a good thing if you case a jump or smack your rear wheel on that sharp rock that you lofted the front wheel over. I've had my Chili on Fromme with the 26'r enduro rims without any issues. Numerous rock strikes from the side (roll over) which have dinged up the finish, but no issues what so ever.
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So I really want to buy a set of LB wide rims for my 27.5 "Enduro" bike. The only thing holding me back is I'm worried that they are too stiff and will make things feel too harsh. Opinions seem to be divided on this subject from what I've read. Some say carbon wheels are too stiff and make the ride quite harsh and causes you to "bounce around" too much in very technical sections while others say they can't tell much difference from their aluminum rims (except increased acceleration and lighter weight) in terms of harshness.

For the 35 outter / 30 inner, I would definitely get the heavy duty option on at least the rear. If you can afford the newer offset models, I would go for that since the rim bead is 3mm thick instead of 2.5mm. None of this has anything to do with retaining some vertical compliance, it has to do with not smashing a divot into your rim on a rock or something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm using CB. Good communication and no problems with the product. Good pricing.

www.lightbicycle.com

Hi Jave,

The wider and deeper you go, the stiffer the rims will be. Also, if you get a reinforced version, the sidewalls are quite a bit thicker which also adds to the stiffness.

If you are okay with the width, I think the AM724's would be a safe bet. They are not super tall or wide so they will feel more sturdy and faster than your alloy rims because they are carbon, but they won't be overly stiff. These have 3mm thick hookless beads and a modern profile so you won't need a reinforced version based on your description unless you visit the bike parks frequently and need them to handle high pressure.

The main thing you want to watch out for (with any carbon rim) is to keep reasonable tire pressure. You don't want to go so low that you are bottoming out often, and not so high that you are voiding the advantage of a modern relatively wide rim.

Riding fast through rough terrain is where advanced riders find a huge advantage in a good carbon rim. The bike will track better, be more stable and predictable.

AM724 asymmetric rim profile carbon 650b mountain bike rims Light-Bicycle

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast