Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member

Lets see some blinged out wheelsets..I9,CK,Hope..anything goes!

I'm 180 before gear/camelback so probably close to 200 all geared up. (I Don't skimp on equipment). I've had zero issues whatsoever. But I only have one not too wet season on them, and one race, about 1000 miles total. I would not recommend them in wet climates, or on a bike that is ridden year round in inclement weather.

Just use copious amounts of wheelsmith spoke prep, and they're fine.

Edit: it's also widely accepted that there's a high chance you'll be relacing them within ten years due to corrosion. It happens... And if you use a set of nice hubs it's worth a newer more advanced rim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm in Florida and about 235 and everyone has said stick with brass. I'm about to get a set of Flows with CKs built and wanted blue nipples but haven't heard good things about them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy jr. View Post
    I'm in Florida and about 235 and everyone has said stick with brass. I'm about to get a set of Flows with CKs built and wanted blue nipples but haven't heard good things about them.
    Near the coast? Salt induced corrosion is why you want brass, not your weight. Alloy nipples are susceptible to corrosion, brass not so much. Stick with black brass nipples.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    White Industries M16 hubs with a semi-custom red anodized finish. They don't keep them in stock, but they're available by special order, you just have to be patient to wait for them. Arch EX 650B rims, red nipples.

Dirt Huffer
    Anything goes? Here is my 26"

Captain Climber
    I like it AC/BC... What is it?

Norūwegr
    Softcore:

All black Enves with P321 hubs front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Red I9 Torch Classic hubs, NOX XCR-29 rims, DT Swiss Revolutions, alloy nipples. 1,513g. Giggidy!!

AKA Mr.Habanero
    Ac/bc, nice wheels. But what frame is that? I like it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Another set of NOX rims. XTR hubs this time, Revolution spokes, red alloy nipples. 1,514g.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    Another set of NOX rims. XTR hubs this time, Revolution spokes, red alloy nipples. 1,514g.

Interesting. Would not have expected the I9 and XTR hubs to be within 1 g of each other (I realize that there is likely some variation in the rim weights but the hub weights must still be very close).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    Interesting. Would not have expected the I9 and XTR hubs to be within 1 g of each other (I realize that there is likely some variation in the rim weights but the hub weights must still be very close).
    There was a 5g difference between the rims for each set, and only 2g difference in the hubset weights. Both were 15mm front and 142x12 rear.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    Near the coast? Salt induced corrosion is why you want brass, not your weight. Alloy nipples are susceptible to corrosion, brass not so much. Stick with black brass nipples.
    Just curious what your thoughts about what Sapim says about their alloy nipples:

Aluminum nipples

In the past, aluminum nipples had only one positive argument, the weight. All other features like corrosion resistance, friction, stiffness were specific to brass nipples. This changed in the last years drastically. All our aluminum nipples are now anodized. Salt spray tests showed better results than brass nickel plated nipples. You can choose 7 different colors. We had been able to reduce friction with a special coating. As an effect you donít need to oil or grease the nipple like you should with the brass version. For the last three years, Sapim has used the 7075 material and have additional strength added by the heat treatment T6. Alloy nipples are now stronger than brass. Aluminum nipples are more expensive but for sure much better than brass. For those who care about weight, special colors and quality, aluminum nipple is advised.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Just curious what your thoughts about what Sapim says about their alloy nipples:

Aluminum nipples

In the past, aluminum nipples had only one positive argument, the weight. All other features like corrosion resistance, friction, stiffness were specific to brass nipples. This changed in the last years drastically. All our aluminum nipples are now anodized. Salt spray tests showed better results than brass nickel plated nipples. You can choose 7 different colors. We had been able to reduce friction with a special coating. As an effect you donít need to oil or grease the nipple like you should with the brass version. For the last three years, Sapim has used the 7075 material and have additional strength added by the heat treatment T6. Alloy nipples are now stronger than brass. Aluminum nipples are more expensive but for sure much better than brass. For those who care about weight, special colors and quality, aluminum nipple is advised.
    I've never used any of their nipples since I've been building mostly MTB wheels and use DT Swiss spokes. However, Pace-Line also has 7075 nipples available. They are more resistant to corrosion than standard 6000series alloy nipples, but they do still corrode. I actually did a low tech salt water test with one of each, scratched them up some to expose the bare aluminum and then let them soak for several days in some VERY salty water. The 6000series corroded faster, but they both corroded. I haven't tested brass...I'll have too though.

For riders near the coast, I'd still go with brass. Brass has proven to be very reliable over the years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I don't know squat about aluminum versus brass nipples but I have been sailing for 30 years. Nobody in there right mind would ever use brass on a sailboat, it is always bronze. The zinc in brass leads to corrosion ( actually galvanic corrosion). Anodized aluminum has been used for years on sailboats for masts, toe rails and many other areas that get harsh salt water treatment with minimal issues. The real problems with the salt is from the juxtaposition of two types of metal with the salt water connecting them that leads to galvanic corrosion. i.e it creates a very weak battery and the electrons flow from one metal to another. I don't see how anodized aluminum can exhibit a bigger corrosion problem than brass, particularly if one is using stainless spokes.

Can someone explain the specific chemistry why brass is better for bikes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Lets see some blinged out wheelsets..I9,CK,Hope..anything goes!-image.jpgLets see some blinged out wheelsets..I9,CK,Hope..anything goes!-image.jpgLets see some blinged out wheelsets..I9,CK,Hope..anything goes!-image.jpgI ended up with Flow EX,CK hubs and Sapim triple butted spokes! Was gonna do blue nipples but went with black brass for longevity!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar187 View Post
    Wow, first thread I click on in wheels and tires and this pops up. I'm planning on building pretty much the same wheels in the next couple weeks. KOM rims, black spokes, and gold nipples. Only difference is I'm using DT Swiss 350 hubs. Great minds I guess... Cool to see what they're gonna look like when mine are done!

Formerly of Kent
    Lets see some blinged out wheelsets..I9,CK,Hope..anything goes!-hd-complete.jpg

DT Swiss XRC 950T tubular rims, DT 240s hubs, CX-Rays. Just over 1300g.

Lateral grip of an AM tire, rolling resistance of a semi-slick, and an incredibly smooth ride. 16/18psi front/rear.

mtbr member
    No Derby love in here yet! Derby 40mm WIDE hookless bead carbon rims with CX-Rays and I9 Torch hubs 1560 grams

Testing them out

mtbr member

chocolate rain

Lets see some blinged out wheelsets..I9,CK,Hope..anything goes!-dsc_0201.jpg

Lets see some blinged out wheelsets..I9,CK,Hope..anything goes!-dsc_0200.jpg

Lets see some blinged out wheelsets..I9,CK,Hope..anything goes!-dsc_0196.jpg

Lets see some blinged out wheelsets..I9,CK,Hope..anything goes!-dsc_0195.jpg
    Here's a pack of matches, go play in the street

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Light-Bicycle's "narrow" 29er rims, Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs, 28 Revolution spokes per wheel, alloy nipples. Hubs are set up for thru-bolts and have an XD driver for use with SRAM's XX1 drivetrain. Silver hubs, spokes, and nipples to keep it classy. 1,457g These are mounted up on a 19.98lbs Niner HT.

Chris Bling

Bling!

Here are some Gold Hadley hubs laced to Derby rims with Sapim Force Spokes with Gold nipples. Pics don't do justice.

Gold on gold is pretty blingin!

Lets see some blinged out wheelsets..I9,CK,Hope..anything goes!-hubsessed-cycle-works.jpgLets see some blinged out wheelsets..I9,CK,Hope..anything goes!-hubsessed-cycle-works-derby.jpgLets see some blinged out wheelsets..I9,CK,Hope..anything goes!-hubsessed-cycle-works-derby-rims.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/hubsessedcy...type=1&theater
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just used a set of gold Hadley's to lace up a pair of WTB KOM's on Sapim Race. I should have used gold nipples. I was on the fence. Looks great!

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by elongate View Post
    Just used a set of gold Hadley's to lace up a pair of WTB KOM's on Sapim Race. I should have used gold nipples. I was on the fence. Looks great!
    Thanks man. Too bad they are not for me! Headed out to Northern Nevada
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The world definitely needs more wheels with gold in them. Here's mine. Hope hubs, NOX rims, gold hubs and nipples. Bike also has a gold chainring and stem topcap.

And when taken racing in the MTNs, it gets a big gold cog too.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast