mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Less flex with Crest rims?

I am on the verge or throwing out the Crests.They are built up on 240s hubs with Revolution spokes at the front and Sapim 2/1.8/2 spokes at the back. I started off with spoke tensions as recommended by Stans. I was not impressed. Then I went up to 105kgf with a mounted tire. I am close to 115 now and I am still unimpressed. It is difficult to say about the back wheel, but the front one really has to much flex.
    My options:
    - Get sturdier rims like WTB frequincy's or Arch EX
    - Try to stiffen up the front wheel with DT Competition spokes(the least expensive option)
    - Shut up and ride the damn thing as is. Try to get used to it.
    By the way. It is a 29er. And I weigh 75kg's

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by supersleeper View Post
    I am on the verge or throwing out the Crests.They are built up on 240s hubs with Revolution spokes at the front and Sapim 2/1.8/2 spokes at the back. I started off with spoke tensions as recommended by Stans. I was not impressed. Then I went up to 105kgf with a mounted tire. I am close to 115 now and I am still unimpressed. It is difficult to say about the back wheel, but the front one really has to much flex.
    My options:
    - Try to stiffen up the front wheel with DT Competition spokes(the least expensive option)
    Stiffer rim, thicker spokes. in that order
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Custom Wheelbuilder
    I like the Flow alot more than the Crests. They are much more rigid, and I think that the profile is a bit more practical.
    That will be the most effective way to improve the ride quality.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Even the arch ex is MUCH stiffer than the crest. The crest is a complete noodle.

mtbr member
    Stiffer rims for sure...Arch EX, Frequency i19, Blunt SL, Pacenti TL28

That would be the first thing, putting thicker spokes will make a very minor improvement at best.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I went w/ the Arch Ex's for just this reason. I'm only 150lbs, but with the rep the Crests had for flex and my ungraceful methods of getting through rock gardens I thought it best to go with Arch Ex's. I'm glad I did. I REALLY like these wheels!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks. I'll order my i23's. With competition spokes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Stiffer rims for sure...Arch EX, Frequency i19, Blunt SL, Pacenti TL28

That would be the first thing, putting thicker spokes will make a very minor improvement at best.
    So keep the Revo's? And just do a rim transplant? The ERD's of the rims are very similar. 603 vs 605.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've set up my i19 with revos and comps, no difference in performance on my 72-75kg.

I would even go and say that I've got more luck with revos vs comps since I've had comps spontaneously loosening up vs revos (same tension, no locking agent). After I've used soft loctite-type agent, comps were also fine.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    So keep the Revo's? And just do a rim transplant? The ERD's of the rims are very similar. 603 vs 605.
    Hopefully you can make it work. That doesn't seem like a bit jump in ERD but what that may correlate into in the real world may just be too much.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    When I bought my Crest rims the LBS recommended DT Comps at least for this very reason: the rims are light and it comes with a stiffness trade-off. I weigh 72 kg and the bike is a fully rigid 29er. My riding style is somewhat delicate most of the time, but I use very low pressures and occasionally ride a bit heavy-handed over roots and rocks. After the initial build I've had to true the wheels once.

I'm no expert when it comes to evaluating wheel stiffness so I won't pose as one, but I like the handling of the bike as it is. Compared to my old wheels, which were 350 grams heavier I'm really happy with the weight reduction.

If only the front wheel bothers you, maybe you could leave the rear as it is?

Regarding ERD, Stan's "ERD" (605 mm) is actually just the nipple seat diameter. To make the spokes reach the bottom of the screwdriver groove, I added 1.5 mm to the spoke length.

Epic rider
    My options:
    You could use the Dt Comps on the front left and rear right sides and keep the revos on the other sides. Should give equal stiffness "out of plane" for both wheels.
    Otherwise a stiffer rim as well as suggested. If you go with Arch EX or heavier I would use DT Comps all around.
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    Hopefully you can make it work. That doesn't seem like a bit jump in ERD but what that may correlate into in the real world may just be too much.
    I have 14mm nipples as supplied by CRC. So I could go 12mm...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsac View Post
    You could use the Dt Comps on the front left and rear right sides and keep the revos on the other sides. Should give equal stiffness "out of plane" for both wheels.
    Otherwise a stiffer rim as well as suggested. If you go with Arch EX or heavier I would use DT Comps all around.
    The WTB frequincy's are on the way. I still have to decide on the spokes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Crest are xc wheels, so yes they are not as stiff or heavy as other choices. I have a 26" set laced to hope hubs with dt comp spokes. That builds a pretty light wheelset for general xc riding. Not sure I would use these on bigger wheel sizes though. On my full sus race bike they been perfect.
    Just Ride!

banned
    Revo also do flex quite a bit. No way I would use them on a 29er wheel IMO that did not have carbon hoop. I have run Crests with Comps and have had little flex (weigh 170lb) Used a Crest with revos and the flex was too much.

mtbr member
    For spokes the dt supercomps are the way to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post
    For spokes the dt supercomps are the way to go.
    I only have Revo's and Comps. I prefer to keep things standard. Like standard 2mm nipples. Not the odd 1.8mm somewhere.
    Thanks

MTB B'dos
    Sleeper, I got a front Pro2/Crest wheel from them to try and have to say, not impressed either with it's stiffness or strength, but I'm not impressed by the spokes they used either, so am thinking of doing a re-lace using my trusted DT comps and see how it goes then. For now I'm riding it, but it's already got a wobble and I haven't ridden it hard or taken any hits. Am impressed with the width and weight, but I'll not give up durability for that little weight loss.
    I have 14mm nipples as supplied by CRC. So I could go 12mm...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics