mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Leadville tire choice for 29er Arch...help please...

Did not have much luck yet at the Endurance Racing Forum so probably should have posted here instead...

My new wheelset finally arrived from I9...took way long but am now going to go pick them up in the next 2 days and am looking for input from those who have an opinion on what tire choice I should put on these hoops tubeless. I9 with Stans Arch...

Have heard/read that the Crossmark is a better tire than the Small Block 8's and have also gotten a recommendation for Bonty XDX's. I want to go tubeless and will bring tubes with me on the ride but also want to finish...help please!

massalsa

ps--will also be doing some races here in the midwest prior to LV100 but really am getting geared up for Leadville...then Cheq 40...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    There is a yahoo newsgroup that you should join. There is a wealth of information there. I have done Leadville 4 times, all w/ relatively lightweight low rolling resistant tires, the wife has done it 5 times on similar. She has raced the last two years on old style hutchinson pythons set up tubeless w/ stans. I have raced the last two years w/ stan's crows, tubeless w/ stans. There are definitely portions of the course that are not ideal for these tires, but they are short and you just need to be aware. Most of the course is fire road, gravel and some pavement. I would recommend a similar tire to the python, maybe tubeless ready pythons. I have never torn a sidewall, but it is possible. Since this is your first, when in doubt, go a little beefier to assure no flats. I would never do it w/o tubeless and stans. I am planning on 29er Raven or Crows this year.

No longer 26
    Just by looks of the 3 tires and from what I have read on emptybeer, I'd say the XDX is probably the most versatile of the 3 for varying weather conditions, Xmark slightly better for loose-ish conditions, SB8 best for pure hardpack. The XDX gets high marks for nice volume too.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...