mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Latex inner tubes?

Hi,

I still have tires with tubes. (boo-hiss) I hope to go tubeless next year.

For local rides we have goat head thorns so I use slime tubes and my co-riders with tubeless wheels have to use lots of stans sealant. I don't pinch flat often and run about 32-35 psi in my front tire (2.4 mutano raptor race) and 35-40 psi in my rear tire (panaracer fire xc 2.1 tire).

For a non goat head thorn race, I am thinking of swapping the slime tubes and using regular light butyl or latex inner tubes.
    I have used latex tubes for some road races with good performance, smoother ride and no flats.

Does anyone use latex tubes for their MTB races? Any issues..

Thanks

Live long and perspire
    Apr 2007

Hope

Hey,
    Latex tubes are a great thing; less rolling resistance, lighter and less prone { think condoms} to puncture. They do degrade after a season or two, so replace them every once in a while and you're fine. Every nice sew-up road tire made uses latex tubes for those reasons, they { sew-ups'} seem to last longer because there are more "Plys" in their construction, shielding the tube from ultra-violet light.

peace,
    G.

nnn
    mtbr member
    The trouble with latex tubes is they lose air super quick, you pretty much need to top it up before every ride. Apart from that they're superior in pretty much every sense
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com