Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Largest volume non-plus 29er tire?

I haven't seen this asked in a while, so thought I would throw it out again. I've seen mention of the WTB Trail Boss, Maxxis Ikon and some others. I know the Minion is the biggest overall, but is the volume bigger as well, or just the knobs? If anyone has bead to bead measurements for any of these, that would be great!

Cactus Cuddler
    I think the 2.35 Ikon, 2.4 Ardent, 2.5 DHF and 2.5 DHR share a carcass, and those are among the largest.
    The Conti 2.4 X-King/MtnKing/TrailKing/Kaiser is actually a very large volume tire, and might edge out the Maxxis offerings above in terms of air volume, but those are really open tread pattern tires so they don't work great here (and thus I know very little about them).
    The 2.4 Trail Boss is a big tire - but also a heavy mofo (1200g). It looks awesome as low rolling resistance rear tire in 2.2 guise but running it as a fat front tire isn't that appealing from my studying the tread pattern up close (slightly hard rubber, unidirectional siping won't help a ton with lateral bite, and limited penetration/mud clearance).
    I think the Specialized Butcher caps at 2.3" in 29" guise, similarly the Bontrager XR4 tops out at 2.3". Schwalbe HansDampf does go to a very fat 2.35.

I personally run 2.4 Ardent Front and 2.35 Ikon Rear on my LT29er, and that combination works really well for high volume awesomeness. The tire is a bit rounded and balloony on 21mm internal rims, so I'm looking really hard at dropping some 30-35mm internal width wheels on it to get more out of that - right now they're a bit pressure sensitive to get the best performance out of them (not a bad thing, but wider rims should buy me some performance envelope).
    If Maxxis made a High Roller off their large carcass (probably a HR3 2.45) I'd be all over that as a front tire, and run a lightweight UST 2.4 Ardent out back (the arguably best looking tire combo they make for versatile 29ers is the 2.3 HR2 Front with 2.2 Ardent LUST out back).

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Trying to start a proper MTB tire volume comparison so it's easier for riders to search. Thinking about cross posting so it's organized using BSD once there's enough measurements.

Bead to Bead Mtb Tire Measurement

Short-Change-Hero
    The other one to add out there is the WTB Weirwolf that I believe is supposed to be 2.55 and close to 2.5 casing size.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    I think the 2.35 Ikon, 2.4 Ardent, 2.5 DHF and 2.5 DHR share a carcass, and those are among the largest.
    On-One Chunky Monkey is built on this same 2.4 Maxxis carcass and is pretty big.

I'd also add the Geax/Vittoria Goma to the list of BFT's.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    The other one to add out there is the WTB Weirwolf that I believe is supposed to be 2.55 and close to 2.5 casing size.
    It's more like a 2.25. I had a pair of WTB Weirwolf TCS 2.5 LT's.
    '15 Ibis HD3
    {insert N+1 here}
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    Ah ok...

Didn't think that GOMA was quite that big.
    Current setup is as follows:
    Front - Geax Sturdy TNT 2.3" carcass measured at 55.42mm
    Rear - Geax Goma Non-TNT 2.25" carcass measured at 54.62mm

And those are measurements on 26mm (exterior) rims.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Buddy has 2.4 Goma's Fr/Rr... they're pretty substantial
    '15 Ibis HD3
    {insert N+1 here}

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not sure its the biggest, but another plus for the
    Ikon is it rolls real fast.

Formerly of Kent
    Pretty sure the old Racing Ralph 2.4 is the biggest non-plus tire that exists. If you can still find them.

Death from Below.
    RLTW!

Cactus Cuddler
    Ah ok...

The 2.4 Goma didn't feel quite as fat as the others to me - but I keep finding myself looking at that tire once I'm on wider wheels (the lack of transition knobs even on the fatter version makes me probably more nervous than logical, but loose-over-hardpack is the surface I wreck on most frequently anymore). It's right around the size of the 2.3 HR2's that I got my grubby paws on -- on some 30mm internal wheels they'd be absolutely killer all mountain meats, because that TNT casing is beautifully rugged and would enable low pressures well.

I'm not actually that surprised there's a lot of variation on the bead to bead widths - but I'd be for some sort of standardization (measure the tire width at widest treaded point on a 21mm internal rim after 24 hours at 1.5 bar) with some error bars (probably +/- 10%) as the tire widths. I've had some narrow OEM Continental tires, that were skinnier than a WTB Wolverine that was supposed to be considerably smaller diameter, so different firms do approach this differently (or QC on OEM tires is less important).

I forgot about the ChunkyMonkey - it's a heavy tire, but it's a big grippy thing with that same Maxxis 58mm casing.
    I'd guess that the MinionSS is going to be on that same casing (should end up being a 2.4" low profile center block high profile cornering block tire, should end up being pretty awesome.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Pretty sure the old Racing Ralph 2.4 is the biggest non-plus tire that exists. If you can still find them.
    Yup. They have huge volume. Great for my SS Karate Monkey.

I haven't heard or seen one, but how much smaller does the casing width measure on the 29 x 2.35 Racing Ralph compared to the old 2.4's?

2.4's measure: 61mm knob to knob width, 60mm casing side to side width

I would be curious to know what the 2.35's measure (I assume they are just about 60mm knob to knob). The bigger issue usually becomes rear tire clearance between the chainstays. Even if they fit, any side to side movement of the wheel under full cranking power on climbs along with frame flex can result in the big meats buzzing the chainstays.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 05-05-2015 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Conti xking 2.4 is not what I'd call large. Pretty low volume, actually.

mtbr member
    I forgot about the ChunkyMonkey - it's a heavy tire, but it's a big grippy thing with that same Maxxis 58mm casing.
    It weighs more than an Ardent 2.4 and about the same as a Minion DHF 3C EXO. Something like 900g (ish) for a burly 29er tire. It's definitely a tire/sidewall/casing that you can trust. I've got one on the front and can't wait to ride it.
    '15 Ibis HD3
    {insert N+1 here}

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    It weighs more than an Ardent 2.4 and about the same as a Minion DHF 3C EXO. Something like 900g (ish) for a burly 29er tire. It's definitely a tire/sidewall/casing that you can trust. I've got one on the front and can't wait to ride it.
    Yeah that is how my GEAX Sturdy 2.3 TNT is.. Thing has some BURLY ass knobs and I have never had any issues with sidewall tears on the regular non-tnt tires from GEAX but this seems extra thick. I think when I weighed it, it came in at like 930g.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Buddy has 2.4 Goma's Fr/Rr... they're pretty substantial
    Got another look at a pair of 2.4 Goma's on i25/i23 rims today. They're huge. A 2.4 Goma would be an awesome rear tire for a slack, AM 29er hardtail. (Which is what he has them mounted on... Transition TransAM)
    '15 Ibis HD3
    {insert N+1 here}

mtbr member
    The old 2.35" Nobby Nick's casing was larger than a 2.5" DHF.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I am a big fan of the B to B measurements, and have been measuring all my tires like that lately. I will add some tires to the tread linked above.

Interesting someone mentioned the old 2.4 Racing Ralph, as it sparked a memory that I have a brand new one in a drawer at home! I bought a brand new set when I was in Germany many years ago, and ran one on the front of a rigid SS for years with great success. I have been experimenting with plus size tires for a bit now, and totally forgot I still had this tire! I measured the B-B and came up with about 156mm, so not the biggest tire on the list, but near the top. From my experience with the last one, with the thin sidewalls and supple casing, they grow quite a bit with use as well. So I mounted it up to a Nextie 50mm rim, with a tube for now. I will post up the actual width after it settles in and grows a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The Onza Ibex 2.4 is a big volume tire, very supple and grippy, but very challenging to mount tubeless. If it weren't for the tubeless issue I'd buy a pile of them!

mtbr member
    I wish Maxxis made the HR2 on the same large volume casing as the 2.4 Ardent, 2.5 Minions etc. That tire would be awesome!

2.4 Ardent f / 2.35 Ikon r is what I run on the Honzo with 29mm internal width rims.

2.35 Hans Dampf f / 2.4 Ardent r on the Tallboy LTc with 25.5mm internal width rims.

The Hans Dampf 2.35 is also a pretty darn big tire when mounted on wide rims. I'll take some measurements tonight...

Short-Change-Hero
    Damn I wish I could find a deal on the 2.4 Goma but cant seem to find anything anywhere. Apparently the new Vittoria Morsa is supposed to come in two sizes, a 2.3 and 2.5 for 26, 27.5 and 29er tires. Should be interesting to see if it really is that size, and from the looks of the tread pattern it is somewhere between the Goma and the Sturdy.

Largest volume non-plus 29er tire?-img_3320-sea-otter-2015-vittoria-morsa-enduro-tyre-enduro-mountainbike-magazine-780x520.jpg
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Damn I wish I could find a deal on the 2.4 Goma but cant seem to find anything anywhere. Apparently the new Vittoria Morsa is supposed to come in two sizes, a 2.3 and 2.5 for 26, 27.5 and 29er tires. Should be interesting to see if it really is that size, and from the looks of the tread pattern it is somewhere between the Goma and the Sturdy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3320-Sea-otter-2015-Vittoria-morsa-enduro-tyre-enduro-mountainbike-magazine-780x520.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	989558
    GOMA for $35

Goma 29" 2.4 Fold Folding Bike Tire | Geax | The Clymb

mtbr member
    Chunky Monkey 2.4 is made on an Ardent 2.4 casing with a more aggro tread pattern.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    check out the geax sturdy, i run a sturdy 2.3 up front and a goma 2.2.5 in the back....killer combo...wicked big knobs

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by cameden View Post
    check out the geax sturdy, i run a sturdy 2.3 up front and a goma 2.2.5 in the back....killer combo...wicked big knobs
    Yeah I have been running the exact same combo on my bike. Sturdy is definitely a BURLY tire but that is the thing that I love and hate about it. Not overly heavy, or at least doesnt pedal like it, but damn if it doesnt throw lots of crap at you and just is a burly tire. I have it off for now, thinking it may be more of a fall/winter tire so that I can grab in the nasty and muck.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Well I was able to get my hands on what I thought was a Goma 2.4 Sticky folding bead tire only to have the selling company not write their descriptions properly and instead got a "performance" wire bead model. So that is going back but now I cannot for the life of me find a 2.4 anywhere and the Vittoria version has jumped up to around $55/ea. So I went ahead and ordered a 2.4 Chunky Monkey Trail Extreme today.

I got some spare tires that I am going to try and get through but next on the list to order (rear tire that is) will either be a 2.25 Goma Sticky or 2.25 Barzo.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast