mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Largest tire size for XR 400

24 mm rim width, 19 mm internal width

115 pound female all mountain style with a 2.35 minion on the front. she really likes her 2.5 and would use it here and there if it would fit. I don't have any experience with skinny rims myself. I'm under the impression from what I've read that the 2.35 would be fine. What would the 2.5 do?

Going to leave the 2.5 minion on her EX 1750 for downhill.
    Last edited by bspill1; 07-24-2012 at 04:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Maxxis 2.5s are more like 2.3s and their 2.3s are more like 2.15s. FWIW you'll probably be fine the tire just might not have the greatest profile.

mtbr member
    It would physically fit. I wouldnt want to ride that combo at all though. Its fairly subjective if the narrow rim and wide tire combo feels ok or not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    you would not want to ride the 2.5? Or even the 2.35?

I suppose I should have stated that this is not a tubeless set up. I still don't quite understand how a skinny rim on a 2.5 tire affects its feel. I understand what it will do to the shape of the tire. But can't really imagine how that affects the ride.

mtbr member
    The tire will flop around more, usually requiring you to run more pressure than you'd like to keep the tire stable. The bigger the tire, the worse it gets.

Im sorry, I got mixed up thinking about a different model of rim completely. I see thats the 24mm DT rim, about a 19mm internal width. The 2.5 should be fine on that, and the 2.35 would fit pretty well.

Sorry for the confusion, you should be fine with either combo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks, I should have put the rim specs in my original post. My bad.

I don't think she would end up using these rims for the 2.5 but was curious anyhow. That would only be if she decided to make the light wheels her race wheels.