Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    The Koozer hub lasted only 2 months for me. Now the ratchet spins freely inside the hub shell.
    I've bought it from aliexpress and don't have any warranty cards. According to Koozer there will be no warranty in my case.

As I understand the aluminium thread of hub body was minced by the steel thread of the ratchet.

Whet it was working I really liked it. 72POE is the thing and really helps.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ya29er View Post
    72POE is the thing and really helps.
    So invest in a king, hadley or I9 then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    So invest in a king, hadley or I9 then.
    Buying a $500 hub from an US company is against my life philosophy.

Koozer actually replied to me quite quickly and are going to send me a new hub. They say that they see this type of problem for the first time. And I believe them - I weigh about 120kg geared up and tend to brake all kind of components much more often then everybody else around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    might make sense for you to use a hub with a larger ratchet ring (more contact area with the hub shell) or one without a threaded-in ratchet ring (xm470, dt swiss)

or maybe just one with deeper threads if you can find it

I like how he said "invest", by the way
    like it's gonna pay off

Land of the 230+
    As a fellow clyde, the koozers are likly to keep going out on you. I kept deforming freehubs though the ratchet ring never gave out on me. I'm interested to see how the clydes do on the xm370 ring.

Anyway, I have since moved to bike hub store / bitex hubs, and for a little extra coin theyre considerably more stout. Theyre not without thier problems, and I miss the extra POE the Koozers have (72 vs 54), but the BHS hubs are definitely stronger.

But hey, if they can figure out how to make the koozers a bit more clyde friendly, I'd be back for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    As a fellow clyde, the koozers are likly to keep going out on you. I kept deforming freehubs though the ratchet ring never gave out on me. I'm interested to see how the clydes do on the xm370 ring.

Anyway, I have since moved to bike hub store / bitex hubs, and for a little extra coin theyre considerably more stout. Theyre not without thier problems, and I miss the extra POE the Koozers have (72 vs 54),
    Bitex hubs are not perfect either.
    I've snapped an aluminium axle on Bitex hub. Replaced it with a steel one from Novatec.
    Then after another year the bearing shell on drive side became enlarged - i.e. the bearing itself is loose inside it's shell and can be removed with bare fingers. Fixed using a bearing fitting compound.

Land of the 230+
    Bitex hubs are not perfect either.
    I've snapped an aluminium axle on Bitex hub. Replaced it with a steel one from Novatec.
    Then after another year the bearing shell on drive side became enlarged - i.e. the bearing itself is loose inside it's shell and can be removed with bare fingers. Fixed using a bearing fitting compound.
    I'm not saying they are perfect. In fact I mentioned that they're not without their problems. I had skipping due to weak pawl springs in mine. but I still feel they are build a bit more stout than the koozers were, and so far they've handled the punishment much better. For what its worth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Koozer actually replied to me quite quickly and are going to send me a new hub. They say that they see this type of problem for the first time. And I believe them - I weigh about 120kg geared up and tend to brake all kind of components much more often then everybody else around.
    Glad to hear that they are standing behind the product and replacing it under warranty. I just laced up my XM490 (this was the first time I ever attempted to build my own wheel!) and for obvious reasons stories like yours get me nervous about the long term reliability of the hub. Just as a reference: did you use this website to reach out to them: About us | REBORN INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT LIMITED ? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a brand new in black koozer hub. 32h qr 135

I can let go for $45 shipped if anyone wants. I went with bitex and thought I cancelled this but appatently he didn't get the message.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789