Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    Wow, already a new hub and clutch design! And Japanese bearings. Never heard of them (EZO) but the Chinese NBK bearings are meh.

Still waiting on a XD driver though. A couple weeks has turned into a couple months, oh well.
    Yeah, replacing the stock NBK bearings in mine with some enduro ceramics over the Winter months. The NBK bearings have been doing well but I hear they're nothing great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    So, my 10 ride old Koozer hub had a total freewheel failure to day, got towed down from the trails by my mate. Utterly disappointed. Need to take it apart and contact Revmega, but the little that was left of my sesson is ruined :/ Maybe the old saying "you get what you pay for" is still king

mtbr member
    Gutted. Have well over 100 rides on mine with no issues. Post pics when you get it apart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Parapax View Post
    So, my 10 ride old Koozer hub had a total freewheel failure to day, got towed down from the trails by my mate. Utterly disappointed. Need to take it apart and contact Revmega, but the little that was left of my sesson is ruined :/ Maybe the old saying "you get what you pay for" is still king
    Finally! Our first failure. It's inevitable. There's always going to be a failed unit out if any mass-produced product. I don't agree with the slogan you used in this case as you're the first person to report on MTBR of a failed koozer hub. Lots of riders here have been using this hub with zero problems.

Regardless, this still sucks for you and I'm positive revmega will help you out. Please do take pictures once you pull it apart.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Will do, trying to contact every one i can think of to get some sort of replacement so i can get back on the trails again. Lovely autumn weather in Norway at the moment.

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Parapax View Post
    Will do, trying to contact every one i can think of to get some sort of replacement so i can get back on the trails again. Lovely autumn weather in Norway at the moment.
    Contact revmega tell them about the failure and include pictures. So far, my experience with their costumer service has been awesome. I have built about 5 wheelsets with these hubs, two of which I personally ordered the hubs including one for personal use.

You are not alone with this, one of the hubs I built failed recently, one that had very little use with very mild xc riding. One of the bearings of the freehub body broke. The outer metal shell literally broke in pieces. This caused the freehub to go out of alignment and fail causing it to freewheel on both directions, damaging it beyond repair. I suspect that bearing was defective from the get go, no amount of human force applied on bike should be able to break a bearing like that. The other hubs have performed flawlessly.

mtbr member
    pics would be helpful for those of us still in the fence in getting this hub. not knocking on your misfortune, but could you at least post your weight, bike, and riding style? that would help most of us here in assessing the strengths and weaknesses of this hub. hope you can get yours warrantied.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Which one would you recommend guys: Koozer HA04N 12x142 or Novatec D772SB-X12 12x142 ? I will be using it mostly for AM and light DH not so much for aggressive riding. The D772SB has 4 paws though.

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by zemper View Post
    pics would be helpful for those of us still in the fence in getting this hub. not knocking on your misfortune, but could you at least post your weight, bike, and riding style? that would help most of us here in assessing the strengths and weaknesses of this hub. hope you can get yours warrantied.
    These are a couple of pictures of the failure I was describing in the previous post. As you can see the bearing's outer race broke and the inner race got stuck in the axle. At first I though the axle had deformed because I could not slide out the inner race. I had to use a thick flat head screwdriver and some leverage to inch it out. It took some time but I was finally able to free it. To my surprise, I tried putting on the free hub body from another koozer hub and it slid in and out fine and worked smoothly. This means the axle remained intact and what actually got deformed was the inner race!

Revmega stood behind their product and took care of the issue. Excelent costumer service!! I think there could have been a factory defect with this bearing. I can't see how an industrial bearing would fail this way from cycling loads. Or maybe they can? As you can see, the grease was in good shape, little sign of contamination.

I will still be building and recommending these hubs. My other koozer has worked flawlessly and has been treated much more harshly and for much longer than this one that failed. I think this was a fluke and I feel confident in revmegas after sales service. I heard they have changed the bearing brand recently, so that could solve this issue for good. I am think of changing the bearings to skf on my other hub just for peace of mind.

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -img_5189.jpg

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -img_5186-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    much better for new koozer hubs, replace the bearings right away with japan made bearings

mtbr member
    This may have been posted already but does anyone know the bearing sizes for both the 15mm front hub and the 12x142 rear hub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I only have the rear 142x12 so don't know bearing size for front

15267 2rs

6902 2rs

mtbr member
    Thanks, dude! Very helpful.

Land of the 230+
    Thanks for the info. Is it worth changing out the freehub bearings or is that not as necessary?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is it worth changing out the freehub bearings or is that not as necessary?
    I'm doing all four. Why not, ya know? They're all spinning the same amount. Going the ceramic hybrid route which will be a bit pricey with the two extra freehub bearings. About $200 to get all six bearings replaced with good quality ceramics.

Land of the 230+
    Oh man, what a kick in the wallet. I realize nobody likes to rebuikd wheels over and over, but the bearings are twice the price of the hubs themselves. I'll probably stick with standard Japan made bearings if the stockers seem suspect.

As for the freehub spinning as much as the others, that may be true, but they're certainly not carrying the same load as the axle bearings. But I guess I could be talked into either direction.

make mine a nine
    Putting $200 worth of bearings in a $100 hub. Someone explain the logic to me.

Land of the 230+
    Well I guess you'd be hard pressed to find a set of ceramic bearing hubs for 300 bucks.

But then again, I never understood ceramic bearings for bike applications. I always thought they were for high heat and high rpm applications like turbines. I don't think they're any higher precision than quality steel bearings. Anybody able to explain the advantage?

mtbr member

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under $60

To be honest, the more I think about it, spending $200 for new bearings does seem pretty damn steep. Anyone know of a good source to buy decent quality Japanese bearings?

Also, I believe these hubs are worth more than what they're being sold for. Going straight to the source (a Chinese source at that) has made these hubs cheaper than they would ever be if sold by a reputable big-name company.

Merendon Junkie
    You can give amazon a try or your local hardware or bearing supply store.

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -image.jpg

Land of the 230+
    I've seen vxb.com suggested in the past, however I dont have any experience with them personally. Ebay and amazon may be a less expensive alternative if you can find quality bearings you trust.

And incidentally, heres an informitive post / article about cermaic bearings and their use in mtb applications.

Ceramic Bearings for MTB?

Braaap
    $200 for bearings is steep on a $100 mountain hub. The bearing tolerances are only as good as the hub's.

SKF, F.A.G., and INA are my go to bearings.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

Land of the 230+
    Dirty word filter got you. I assume that was F. A. G. bearings?

Land of the 230+
    So my hubs came in, and theres a chunk missing from one of the flanges on the rear hub.

Do you think its anything to be worried about? Yes, its noticeable, but it doesnt seem like it would be a structural issue.

Do you think its worth contacting the seller about? Or is this simply to be expected for a chinese product at this price point?

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -img_0811-large-.jpg

Just wanted to get your opinions on the matter.

Land of the 230+
    Also, my bearing sizes for the were as follows:

Front 15x100 Thru Axle
    NBK 6804-2RS
    NBK 6804-2RS

Rear 12x142 Thru Axle
    NBK 6902-2RS
    NBK 6902-2RS

6 Pawl Freehub:
    Tekino 15267RS
    Appears to be same size Tekino 15267RS (Unverified due to rubber seal)

mtbr member
    Also, my bearing sizes for the were as follows:

Front 15x100 Thru Axle
    NBK 6804-2RS
    NBK 6804-2RS

Rear 12x142 Thru Axle
    NBK 6902-2RS
    NBK 6902-2RS

6 Pawl Freehub:
    Tekino 15267RS
    Appears to be same size Tekino 15267RS (Unverified due to rubber seal)
    I'd like to confirm these sizes. Checked on my setup as well. Thanks for the info!

Regarding the chunk missing... It seems mostly cosmetic from the picture you posted. Definitely unfortunate. If you're willing to be patient, I'm sure revmega from rbrn can make it right. Otherwise, I'd recommend taking it to a bike shop to get their opinion. My guess is it will be fine.

Land of the 230+
    I contacted the seller, sporttide. He was extremely quick to respond to both messages. I asked if he felt it was a structural issue or anything that might cause a problem down the road (even though I'm confident it does not pose a threat). He forwarded the image on to the manufacturer (probably revmega), and then replied confirming it should not be dangerous, but if I wanted to send it back, they would be happy to replace it.

I'm very happy to see that they were willing to replace it, but since I'm terribly impatient by nature, and that this is a $60 hub, I think Ill just run it as is.

The seller's helpful response far outweighs the slight cosmetic defect.

mtbr member
    I contacted the seller, sporttide. He was extremely quick to respond to both messages. I asked if he felt it was a structural issue or anything that might cause a problem down the road (even though I'm confident it does not pose a threat). He forwarded the image on to the manufacturer (probably revmega), and then replied confirming it should not be dangerous, but if I wanted to send it back, they would be happy to replace it.

I'm very happy to see that they were willing to replace it, but since I'm terribly impatient by nature, and that this is a $60 hub, I think Ill just run it as is.

The seller's helpful response far outweighs the slight cosmetic defect.
    Good stuff. Are you having a shop build your wheels? If so, a second opinion from them wouldn't hurt either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Will take it apart this weekend and post some pics. The hub in itself is inexpensive, but getting the wheel laced is not, at least not where i live. Hoping its a issue that can be fixed without rebuilding the wheel. I`m 94kg, the bike is a 2012 Kona Honzo 29", and i ride woodland trails and fire roads, nothing endurolike.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopshute View Post
    Good stuff. Are you having a shop build your wheels? If so, a second opinion from them wouldn't hurt either.
    I'm building the wheels myself. I haven't build a set of wheels in a decade or so, and last time they were 20 inch, but I read up and figured I'd take a stab at it on a cheap wheel build for my secondary bike.

Having spent a fair amount of time around CNC machines, I know exactly what happened here. The casting ran short, or wasn't indexed correctly when they put it on the machine, and as the endmill cut the flange, it just ran out of material in that one spot. It wasnt a dent or chip due to impact. I'm confident its purely cosmetic, and its probably only .020 or .030 deep anyway. Not sure if they simply didn't notice it, or they just didn't care. Either way, it happened before the anodizing and printing process. I don't see an abrasion risk, but I will try to index it so the spokes face away from the section in question just the same.

mtbr member
    I ended up opting out of getting ceramic bearings due to the cost. Enduro bearings makes a high quality steel bearing with Abec 5 rating. All 6 bearings cost me $70. Still a little pricey but nowhere near the $200 it would've costed for ceramics. I'll post up install pictures once I get around to swapping the bearings out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    so far I installed HCH bearings on my koozer, HCH made in china bearings - WTH??

can't find any japanese made bearings, I checked out HCH and they do have a website, so far it is still doing great, but next time will definitely get skf or jap type bearings

Merendon Junkie
    If you don't want to replace all the bearings or you want to wait till they fail, I would recommend to at least change the bearing on the pawl side of the freehub body. It appears that that is the bearing subjected to the most stress, and if it fails, at least the way mine failed, it could mess up your hub for good.

As you can see in the pictures, once the bearing's outer race broke, the pawls did not have adequate support so the pawls cracked and deformed the freehub body.

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -image2.jpg

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -image3.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    thanks for the Pic abelfonseca,

will definitely replace my hch bearings, will hunt for japs

Land of the 230+
    Laced up my wheelset last night. Took just about an hour on the couch, while my 18 month old son stole spokes and nipples to chew on. I still have to dial in the dish, tension, and true, but so far so good.

Weight came in at 1816g combined (867 f / 949 r) with 100x15 / 142x12 Koozers on WTB ST i19 rims. A little skinny, but not bad for $170 all in.

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -20151117_204908.jpg

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Anyone know RevMega's or any of the other sellers direct email? I'm thinking of getting a complete XM29 rear wheel laced to the 12x142 72poe hub.

Also, does anybody have official hub measurements of these hubs?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Anyone know RevMega's or any of the other sellers direct email? I'm thinking of getting a complete XM29 rear wheel laced to the 12x142 72poe hub.

Also, does anybody have official hub measurements of these hubs?
    Revmega usually responds extremely quickly on ebay. You should shoot him a message.

You also have the measurements on RevMega's post on ebay.

I just got revmega's email.

deals(@)revmega(dotcom)

KOOZER HA02N/HA04N 6 Pawls 72HD Bicycle Hub Disc Bearing 32H
    Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -%24_57.jpg
    142mm Rear
    wR 34.74 mm
    wL 22 mm
    OLD 142 mm
    dL 59 mm
    dR 59 mm

Do I have that right?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Laced up my wheelset last night. Took just about an hour on the couch, while my 18 month old son stole spokes and nipples to chew on. I still have to dial in the dish, tension, and true, but so far so good.

Weight came in at 1816g combined (867 f / 949 r) with 100x15 / 142x12 Koozers on WTB ST i19 rims. A little skinny, but not bad for $170 all in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151117_204908.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	1029703
    awesome! what spokes and nipples are you using? that weight is respectable considering how relatively heavy (for an 19mm iw) the rim is.

Land of the 230+
    awesome! what spokes and nipples are you using? that weight is respectable considering how relatively heavy (for an 19mm iw) the rim is.
    Thanks man. I used Sapim db spokes from Dan's comp, and 12mm dt swiss alloy nips from eBay. The rims were 460g a piece, and only 20 bucks per.

Between me and a buddy that rode the bike, there's onky about 10 miles on the wheels so far, but they're performing well. I have a big 2.4 xking up front despite the narrow wheel, but its working well. My only issue is the less than 1/8 clearance in the rear against the converted 26 inch frame. I might try a 2.0 saguaro tire instead of the 2.2 geax aka.

Thanks man. I used Sapim db spokes from Dan's comp, and 12mm dt swiss alloy nips from eBay. The rims were 460g a piece, and only 20 bucks per.
    What was cost for the spokes and nipples?

$170 for front and rear rims laced up seems super cheap. That $93 for hubs, $40 for rims, and $37 for spokes and nipples. Am I reading that right?

Land of the 230+
    What was cost for the spokes and nipples?

$170 for front and rear rims laced up seems super cheap. That $93 for hubs, $40 for rims, and $37 for spokes and nipples. Am I reading that right?
    Spokes themselves are 29 bucks from Dans plus $8 shipping (72 spokes, I wanted a couple extra) and I snagged a deal on the nipples for 8 bucks. Rims were from bikewagon, with a now expired 20% off coupon code. So yes, $170 plus the $8 shipping all in.

mtbr member
    So is everyone changing the hch bearing immediately? Is it necessary? I bought a set of the xd1700 in 24h for a 24" wheelset, but now thinking I should have went with the xd1600 with ezo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post
    So is everyone changing the hch bearing immediately? Is it necessary? I bought a set of the xd1700 in 24h for a 24" wheelset, but now thinking I should have went with the xd1600 with ezo?
    No. I think the consensus is that no one is a huge fan of the stock Chinese bearings. However, we have only seen one failure of the freehub body bearings. I was proactive and jumped the gun changing out all of the bearings in both the front and rear hubs after only one season. Inspecting the stock bearings after removal, they still had plenty of life left and were still fairly smooth when rotating them. I went the Enduro route (still Chinese made) and hopefully they'll hold up for a while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    on my koozer HCH was not the stock bearing, i replaced the stock bearing, and installed new HCH bearings ( hch still china made ), had to replace the stock bearing since it was not rolling smooth, no jap bearing available that time so decided to go with hch china

here is the website of hch bearings

HCH Bearing

seems like a big company?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I ordered a set of the 15mm/142mm through axles hubs and I am going to lace them up to a set of 27.5 DT Swiss FR570 rims with DT Swiss Champion spokes and alloy nipples. I will post pics and report back once they are built. I have the exact same set up on my other bike except I am running Hope Pro 2s

mtbr member
    Hey Guys,

Completed a full replacement of all 4 rear bearings on a rear hub and a the 2 bearings on a front hub. The front hub was very straight forward. The rear is a little trickier but is still straight forward. A couple tips: for the rear hub, remove the blue spacer and the metal ring before hammering out the o-rings with the axle. The pawl side bearing on the actual hub was very hard to remove just by hammering. I ended up pressing it out with a makeshift press (some nuts and washers and a threaded rod). The free hub bearings will need to be hammered out with a punch. There's no way to press these out. As mentioned in an earlier post, move the spacer (with your finger) that sits in between both bearings. Use a punch and a hammer to hammer out the old bearings. You'll most likely damage the bearing doing this so make sure you only do this if you're going to replace the bearings. You might be able to get away not damaging these bearings if you're careful and patient. Anyways, I can post a few pictures upon request. The good thing is at least two of us in this thread have completely rebuilt these hubs with all new bearings. Use us as a reference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    yes please post pictures for reference

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcemajeure View Post
    yes please post pictures for reference

mtbr member
    Ok. I cant take the talk anymore. I found some rims I couldn't pass up. With some Dan's comp spokes and these hubs I will be building a set over winter for fun. I don't even need wheels. But with the cost I will end up with it is worth it to cure my curiosity and stop wondering how these hubs will ride. I consider it the cost of therapy.

WTB I23 29" ($16 each shipped)
    Dans comp spokes ($40 w/shipping)
    Koozers ($90)

$162 built and ready to ride. Cheap therapy.

Land of the 230+
    Thats a good deal man. Rims are kinda heavy though, but who cares for 16 bucks a pop. You can offset the weight of the wheels by upgrading to lasers, but its up to you if you can justify the added cost. I'd love to have gone with lasers, but not at my weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmtb1 View Post
    Ok. I cant take the talk anymore. I found some rims I couldn't pass up. With some Dan's comp spokes and these hubs I will be building a set over winter for fun. I don't even need wheels. But with the cost I will end up with it is worth it to cure my curiosity and stop wondering how these hubs will ride. I consider it the cost of therapy.

WTB I23 29" ($16 each shipped)
    Dans comp spokes ($40 w/shipping)
    Koozers ($90)

$162 built and ready to ride. Cheap therapy.

Nice! Good luck on the wheel build! I'm sure you'll love these hubs especially if you're coming from a run-of-the-mill shimano hub. Two things got me to pull the trigger on these hubs:

1.) I was running a shimano rear hub and I absolutely DESPISE the cup/cone/loose ball bearing design. It is the most obnoxious thing to dial in right when rebuilding the rear hub. Either you have too much play or you have pitting because you tightened the cone nuts too much. Finding the sweet spot is near impossible.

2.) I converted from QR axles to 15mm/142x12 solid axles.

Can't be happier with my decision. I will give you one warning, when pulling the free hub out, be careful as the pawls and springs tend to come out. When putting the free hub back in after maintenance, don't force it in there. Push it down, gently, as far as it will go, then use a pick or something to push all the pawls down (they'll stay down because they'll grab the rubber seal) then push the free hub in the rest of the way. I was a bit impatient once and didn't realize one of the pawls and springs had come out while re-installing the free-hub. Ended up slightly warping one of the springs (still works and was able to straighten out the spring again).

Where the heck are you guys finding these rims so cheap?

Land of the 230+
    Where the heck are you guys finding these rims so cheap?
    Bikewagon with 15% off coupon code I assume.

mtbr member
    Bikewagon with 15% off coupon code I assume.
    Yep. That's where I got them. No shipping charge either. I bought 4. I only need 2, actually one but then the front and back wont match. That might be too much for me to handle.

I know they are a bit stout but so am I. At 205 before gear I am not worried about a some grams. Plus, homebuilt wheels make me feel fast and make me smile.

I have a set of Arch/American Classic on my geared bike and factory built American Classic SS on my SS. This set will be used to convert my SS into a 1x10 for the days I feel like it. I didn't want to add another wheelset with a 1x10 group so this is what I came up with to justify more wheels I don't need.

The American Classic's roll so free. It seems like I always outcoast others I ride with but the engagement suks. The Koozers will be my test for POI and see how much difference it makes.

What length spokes did you use with the i23/Koozer rear hub?

mtbr member
    What length spokes did you use with the i23/Koozer rear hub?
    I havent ordered spokes yet. I will be using dans comp. I have built many wheels with their spokes so I just know where I will buying from and how much it usually is.

It is winter in WI so there is no hurry. I will wait until I feel trapped in the house, crack some beer, and get to work. I have until April to finish them.

I will use the dimensions that are on the previous page, measure ERD, and use a spoke calculator. Easy Peasy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Very glad I found this thread. In need of some cheap decent hubs fairly quickly, and have gone with the 15mm / 142x12 set.

Only thing bothering me is spoke length I need to buy now, as the rims I am fitting them to are asymmetric (WTB Asym i29 - 27.5") so not sure if that makes a difference when it comes to trying to figure it all out?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I got my hubs and I have to say I am impressed with the quality so far. I am going to start building up my 27.5 wheels today so I will post pics when I am finished.

I am using the 15mm front, 142mm rear 6 pawl, DT swiss FR570 wheels, DT Swiss Competition spokes, and DT Swiss alloy nipples

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    Still waiting on a XD driver though. A couple weeks has turned into a couple months, oh well.
    Any further word on this? Thinking about picking some of these up to build w/ some LB rims, don't need the xd driver currently, but would prefer a little bit of future-proofing if possible.

mtbr member
    Wish they made a 170/ 135 for fatbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Wish they made a 170/ 135 for fatbike

same here waiting for koozer to produce hubs for fatbike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopshute View Post
    Just contacted a Reborn rep. 32 hole clutch/ratchet version will be coming out soon. It will utilize the conventional j-spoke holes which will be easier for a wheel builder to measure out spokes. Too bad I have a fairly new pawl version! Although, I couldn't be happier with the pawl version. It's still running strong.
    any update on the 32h clutch version?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    any update on the 32h clutch version?
    Sorry, haven't reached out to reborn as I'm not actively looking to buy this version.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Here they are

27.5 DT Swiss FR570 Rims
    DT Swiss Competition Spokes with alloy nipples
    Koozer 142mm/15mm Through axle 6 pawl hubs

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -2ad9c7d5-2d74-4010-8c2a-76f6c182365a.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Any updates on the qr version being convertible. QR to 15x100 and 12x142. I believe the Hope pro evo 2 can do this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Hey guys. New to this site but have been curious about these hubs for a while.
    Read loads of the info on here and have dropped Revmega a message as I'm wondering if they'd be strong enough for All Mountain/Enduro use.
    Cheers for all the info! Real help having a forum like this for un known products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn52 View Post
    Hey guys. New to this site but have been curious about these hubs for a while.
    Read loads of the info on here and have dropped Revmega a message as I'm wondering if they'd be strong enough for All Mountain/Enduro use.
    Cheers for all the info! Real help having a forum like this for un known products
    Hey there,

I'm not sure what your definition of All Mountain or Enduro are. If you're wondering if these hubs can handle the speed and impact of hard hits, they have been working fine for me (I recently rebuilt them with new bearings and no axle bending). If you're wondering if they can climb up technical stuff without skipping a beat, same thing. They've held up quite nicely for the entire season. Couple videos linked below of the type of riding I do on them (might need to scroll in a few minutes on the Betasso one):

Betasso
    Hall Ranch

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hey gyus.
    I'm curious is it possible to make 135*12 endcaps for this hub?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wish Koozer would come out with a 20mm fully convertible front hub and a 32 hole clutch- rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'll add Boost to that wish list.

They won't produce anymore clutches hubs as they are too complicated. They are going to a star-ratchet style hub with 32 holes. Should see it mid-year.

mtbr member
    They won't produce anymore clutches hubs as they are too complicated. They are going to a star-ratchet style hub with 32 holes. Should see it mid-year.
    Did you get this from the source (Reborn)? Also, I thought the star-ratchet style and clutch style were the same thing.

Yes I got picture of the revised mechanism prototype from RevMega.

It does look different from the existing "clutch" mechanism they have on the ebay posting. At least from what I can tell.

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -%24_57.jpg

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -koozerstarratchet2.jpgKoozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -koozerstarratchet.jpg

I asked RevMega if the ratchet rings would be replaceable with no reply.

mtbr member
    Yes I got picture of the revised mechanism prototype from RevMega.

It does look different from the existing "clutch" mechanism they have on the ebay posting. At least from what I can tell.

I asked RevMega if the ratchet rings would be replaceable with no reply.
    Awesome! Thanks for the helpful posts! The original design looks very much like a DT Swiss/Chris King style hub. The redesigned version looks much simpler where they'll just add a spring to keep the two plates together. It'll be interesting how reliable it will be.

Land of the 230+
    With no prior knowledge or understanding, it would appear the design up top forces the ratchet teeth together under load, and pulls them apart when coasting / back pedaling. The bottom design looks like it would require a spring to keep the ratchet teeth pushed together. Seems like it would have to be a fairly robust spring, which might lead to drag when coasting. Hopefully thats not the case, or at least so small an effect its imperceptible.

mtbr member
    Sorry to derail a bit with the current subject matter but it looks like Reborn has QR quick release end caps for their current straight-through hubs (142 x 12 rear and 15mm front).

Koozer HA02N HA04N Hub Parts Convert Kit Adapter from thru Axle to Quick Release | eBay

Has anyone discovered a cheap 30+mm internally wide rim option to pair with these hubs for a sub-$125 rear wheel? or $200 wheelset?

While the chinese are making oodles of wide carbon rims, they don't seem to be doing the same with normal alloy variants.

mtbr member
    I'm counting 28 teeth on that second ratchet, so 28 POE then?

Has anyone discovered a cheap 30+mm internally wide rim option to pair with these hubs for a sub-$125 rear wheel? or $200 wheelset?

While the chinese are making oodles of wide carbon rims, they don't seem to be doing the same with normal alloy variants.
    I imagine a wide alloy rim that cheap would be pretty terrible for strength and/or weight? But I would also have said nobody would make a hub this good for the price, so who knows...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    can't wait to hear the sound of the new koozer with MCS, anyone with links?

mtbr member
    Anyone with a time line on the fancy new CK style hub? ?

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Would bearings sold by Enduro be an upgrade to the ones in the Koozer?

make mine a nine
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    I'm counting 28 teeth on that second ratchet, so 28 POE then?
    I did the same.
    28POE is pretty disappointing, I don't care how good the mechanism is.

Land of the 230+
    Enduro bearings are well respected, so I would think they would be a good upgrade.

As for the POE, yes, its a bit disappointing, but at least its not 16 or 18 POE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Koozer 72 POE HUB creaking [solved]

Quote Originally Posted by gotdurt View Post
    For those that have had the rear hubs for a while, how are they holding up for you? I had an obnoxious creak develop a couple of weeks ago, coming from the rear of the bike under load... checked all of the pivots, looked for cracks in the frame, etc and eliminated the frame as the problem... don't see any obvious external cracks in the hub body, but I swapped wheels with my other bike and the creak followed the wheel, with no creaks on the original bike now. The 2nd bike is a single speed, so it wasn't in the cassette, and I didn't see any visible external issues on the freehub when switching. I guess the next thing will be to tear the hub down when I have time and see if I can find anything, meanwhile I'll continue to ride it in hopes that it becomes a little worse and thus more visible. Maybe I'll get lucky and find that it's a bearing issue...

Anyway, hoping maybe if any others are experiencing the same/similar problem, we might be able to nail it down.
    I had this exact same issue, was driving me nuts. I checked everything but the creak was still there. After establishing that the noise still occurred when I put the hub under load using the pedals with the disc brake locked up, I decided the issue was in the hub and not the spokes (as I previously assumed). I removed the seal that covers the ratchet/pawls and used my finger to pack more grease in. After replacing the seal the hub actually sounded quieter and the creak was gone

mtbr member
    Reading through the thread, it looks like the axles are flexing excessively, tilting the freehub body into the hub body. I think they need to beef up their axle.

I was on the fence and considering one, but from this thread it looks like its not going to be a long term durable hub.

make mine a nine
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Reading through the thread, it looks like the axles are flexing excessively, tilting the freehub body into the hub body. I think they need to beef up their axle.

I was on the fence and considering one, but from this thread it looks like its not going to be a long term durable hub.
    While its fresh in your mind, is it also true that this was only a problem with the QR hubs and that the 142x12 would likely be better based on the additional stiffness provided by the thru axle?

damned rocks...
    Has already been resolved the problem of the paws soft support?

Merendon Junkie
    Have you checked out the new easton arc rims? They come in 24, 27 and 30 mm internal width flavors. They are not exactly cheap (about 90 a pop), but much cheaper than cheap carbon. They have been receiving pretty good reviews.

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    +1 on the Easton Arcs. Got them for $79 ea. I just built up a set using the Koozer 72 HDs for my Ragley mmmbop. Since it is a hard tail I can tell these are pretty stiff and have taken abuse as I am learning that I am not on a FS anymore.

Compared to my last build with BHS hubs and Nextie 30mm hoops I am very pleased. Seemingly Just as stiff and the Koozer hubs have better engagement.

We shall see if they hold up all year though.

mtbr member
    Do I need to replace the Bearings as soon as I get these HUBs? Can they handle my 250lbs?
    Bike~less

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by NEET View Post
    Do I need to replace the Bearings as soon as I get these HUBs? Can they handle my 250lbs?
    I would replace the bearing on the pawls right off the bat. The rest I would use them till they failed.
    Last edited by abelfonseca; 01-14-2016 at 09:39 PM.

make mine a nine
    My hubs have arrived. X12/15QR.
    They look nicely built. Measured weights are 205gm/299gm which is quite reasonable.
    Rear hub (not free hub) bearings feel a little stiff, but all others are smooth. Good amount of clear grease used in assembly. I will run them as is, but have replacement bearings on hand if they don't free up in the first few rides.
    I'm building them up with new OOZY Trail345 rims and Sapim D-Light spokes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Weird question but has anyone experienced the surface where the rotor mounts being slightly uneven causing the rotor to not sit properly inside the brake caliper? At first I thought it was the fork or adapter so I had both of those faced and its still slightly off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ok guys, i want some of these, but I think i will replace the pawl bearings off the bat.

I looked in the thread and did not see the pawl bearing sizes and qtys. could someone please post.

Also- if anyone has 15mm front bearing sizes and QR rear bearing sizes. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am going to buy these hubs too, and my idea is change the pawl bearings too, so I'd appreciate some info about this. Thanks!

Enviado desde Tapatalk

make mine a nine
    Bearing sizes for 72POE hubs with 15QR and 142x12

15mm front:
    Model: 6804, Size: 32*20*7mm, Count: 2pcs
    ==========
    12x142mm rear:
    Model: 6902, Size: 28*15*7mm, Count: 2pcs
    Free hub: model:15267RS, size is 15*26*7mm
    Count: 2pcs

All the above info is directly from Revmega. He's very responsive to questions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by abevern View Post
    Bearing sizes for 72POE hubs with 15QR and 142x12

15mm front:
    Model: 6804, Size: 32*20*7mm, Count: 2pcs
    ==========
    12x142mm rear:
    Model: 6902, Size: 28*15*7mm, Count: 2pcs
    Free hub: model:15267RS, size is 15*26*7mm
    Count: 2pcs

All the above info is directly from Revmega. He's very responsive to questions.
    Great thanks! I'll ask them directly about the 135x10 then.

Enviado desde Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2010

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under $60

Anyone know where I can get that blue washer that sits against the pawls? Mine cracked and caused a pawl to pop out. Other than this the koozer hub has done me well.

make mine a nine
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitness24 View Post
    Anyone know where I can get that blue washer that sits against the pawls? Mine cracked and caused a pawl to pop out. Other than this the koozer hub has done me well.
    Have you tried asking where you bought it from? Revmega? I'd be interested to know the response.

The problem with a lot of the off-brand kit is that it's hard to get small parts. I'd guess that the blue washer comes as part of a replacement freehub, which I recall being available somewhere.

It's possible (likely?) that the blue bit is a standard size and would be available through other channels - maybe a bearing shop?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast