Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcemajeure View Post
    are you gonna use the koozer on trails? I'm using the koozer on light trails now.. hope it will last long
    Yup, I'm building up a Commencal Meta HT SX 26. I'm about 200 lb geared up, but I ride pretty smooth trails (no rocks.)
    Build is going to be 26" WTB Frequency i25 / Sapim Lasers w/ alloy hex nips / Koozers. Should be ~1800g. It's the middle of winter here, I probably won't be riding them until late April at the earliest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    keep us updated with your setup...

mtbr member

Pile of parts...

...And all laced up.

Final weight was 1801g for the set with WTB Freq i25 26", Sapim Laser spokes, and alloy hex nipples.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Nasty....that's a good weight for those rims,sub 2000 grams for a stout set of hoops..3x? and 32 hole...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billyrayeast View Post
    Nasty....that's a good weight for those rims,sub 2000 grams for a stout set of hoops..3x? and 32 hole...
    Yup, 32 hole 3x. Might not be the stoutest though, considering that this is my first wheel build.
    Last edited by cerebroside; 03-23-2015 at 09:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    on my other rimset with circus monkey rims, pillar spokes psr2015tb and circus hdw3 hubs - 1500 kilograms of weight

now i'm using my koozer hubs, pillar spokes and alexrims xdlite on light to medium trails

mtbr member
    I just ordered a rear, but I can't find measurement specs anywhere for calculating spoke lengths, what did you guys use for measurements?
    'T'is only a flesh wound...
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdurt View Post
    I just ordered a rear, but I can't find measurement specs anywhere for calculating spoke lengths, what did you guys use for measurements?
    I measured my own, I'll check what I wrote down when I get home. I believe these measurements from pg 4 agreed with mine:

Quote Originally Posted by adamantane View Post
    hey guys...i recently puchased a koozer rear hub...i just built it up this weekend, i like the sound, it's not too bad... it will probably be equivalent to an azonic outlaw hub....anyway, i laced it up to a what i think was a supra d rim...the measurements i used in the prowheel builder were ERD 540; axle 135; flng 57; left lck to flng 35; right lck to flng 50; 32H; 3X....i used 260 mm for drive side and 262 for brake side

Rocks belong
    Really, really easy to measure your hubs on your own:

https://leonard.io/edd/howtomeasure

Just like ERD, measure it yourself and then you know its right! (But hub measurements don't need to be near as exact as ERD measurement.)
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Really, really easy to measure your hubs on your own:

https://leonard.io/edd/howtomeasure

Just like ERD, measure it yourself and then you know its right! (But hub measurements don't need to be near as exact as ERD measurement.)
    Not when I won't have the hub for at least a couple of weeks... Yes, it is not difficult to measure hubs (assuming you have calipers and depending on the calculation method used), but I'd like to determine if the spokes I have will work, otherwise I'll need to order spokes to have them on hand when the hub arrives. I already know the rim ERD spec.

Also, for those looking for comparative figures, I got these from a local (using the measuring from center to the flange method):

135mm Rear
    wR 34.5 mm
    wL 18.5 mm
    OLD 135 mm
    dL 55 mm
    dR 55 mm

My spokes fall within the average of the 2, so I should be good.
    Some videos

Merendon Junkie
    I was measuring my newly arrived koozer hubs this is what I got.

Rear 135mm qr:
    OLD: 135
    FD: 57
    Left to flange: 33
    Right to flange: 48

front 100 15mm
    OLD: 100mm
    Left to flange: 29
    Right to flange: 14

32 spokes laced 3x with a arch ex with erd of 606mm results in
    Front R: 295.5 L:294
    Rear R: 293.9 L295.3

I am about to order 32 294 and 32 296 spokes (plus a couple of spares). Does that seem right or would I get away with all 294? Is it weird that the front hub has a greater spoke length difference than the rear or is that normal?

Anybody else get similar dimensions for their hubs?

Cheers
    Abel

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd post up here. I'm wanting the 142 x 12 size rear hub and it looks like this hub is the only one that still has the old 3 pawl design. Contacted the seller and he stated they have a 6 pawl version coming out "soon". He said it would most likely be before summer. Anxious to get my hands on it to lace to a new Stans Flow rim. Anyone else waiting on the 142 x 12 rear hub with the 6 pawls?

mtbr member
    Just got word that the 142 x 12 rear hub in the 6 pawl design should be released at the end of April. How are those who have been riding these hubs for a while liking them? Any issues? Working good?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    damn, i just bought a 142x12 rear with 3 pawls. i think i should return it and get the 6-pawl version.

will it come out next week?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If you buy the koozer hub set in ebay, how many days untill it will arrive?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopshute View Post
    Just got word that the 142 x 12 rear hub in the 6 pawl design should be released at the end of April. How are those who have been riding these hubs for a while liking them? Any issues? Working good?
    No issues with mine, only have six or so rides on them so far though. Love the fast engagement. They are pretty noisy (which I have no problem with).

Quote Originally Posted by Determinants View Post
    I think mine took two or three weeks, but it is totally going to depend on where you live.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by staind View Post
    damn, i just bought a 142x12 rear with 3 pawls. i think i should return it and get the 6-pawl version.

will it come out next week?
    Just got word that the red and black 142 x 12 are available today. I'm waiting on the gold. Bummer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Are koozer hubs loud? I love loud hubs, it warns people that I am gonna pass and minimizes accidents

Where can I buy koozer hubs here in Philippines?

mtbr member
    Mine took about 3 weeks.

Are koozer hubs loud? I love loud hubs, it warns people that I am gonna pass and minimizes accidents
    Not as loud as Chris Kings, etc., but I wouldn't say they are quiet either.
    Some videos

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    I was measuring my newly arrived koozer hubs this is what I got.

Rear 135mm qr:
    OLD: 135
    Left to flange: 33
    Right to flange: 48

135mm Rear
    wR 34.5 mm
    wL 18.5 mm
    OLD 135 mm
    dL 55 mm
    dR 55 mm

either one of you is smoking crack or both of you.

Imo holes are measured center to center and flanges are measured at the center of the actual flange. Tools for measing this is mitutoyo vernier calipers for example.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    either one of you is smoking crack or both of you.

Imo holes are measured center to center and flanges are measured at the center of the actual flange. Tools for measing this is mitutoyo vernier calipers for example.
    You might want to read the whole post before telling someone they are smoking crack.

Funny though, despite the different measuring methods used and the slightly varying measurements, everyone seems to have their wheels laced-up just fine.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Not as loud as Chris Kings, etc., but I wouldn't say they are quiet either.[/QUOTE]

Which is louder, origin 8 hubs or koozer ha04n 6 pawl 72POE hubs?

Merendon Junkie
    Finished building a set for a friend, red koozer hubs, sapim race, stans arch. Here are some pics and hub sound video.

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -dsc_4474r.jpg

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -dsc_4499r.jpg

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -dsc_4503r.jpg

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -img_2237.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/uberwheels/...type=3&theater

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just got word that the red and black 142 x 12 are available today. I'm waiting on the gold. Bummer.
    thanks. ordered the black 6-pawl version.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    [QUOTE=cerebroside;11821497]
    Pile of parts...

...And all laced up.

Final weight was 1801g for the set with WTB Freq i25 26"

where can I buy WTB freq i25?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post

Pile of parts...

...And all laced up.

Final weight was 1801g for the set with WTB Freq i25 26", Sapim Laser spokes, and alloy hex nipples.
    Very nice build. I was looking at this same rim as well. I rode WTB rims 15 (?)years ago and it had that I-beam construction. I see that the design is still alive and well. I felt at the time that it made a stout rim.

I am on the fence between the koozers and Hopes. The noise of the freehub and made in england is a big draw. THe koozers are 72 POE vs 40 with the hopes.

I was also thinking - - why not pair this hub with some carbon hoops? The china carbon is 2x the price of the name brand alloy rims. I am surprised that there are so little options with rims. It seems that its china carbon, WTB, Stans or DT. Even less option for wider rims if you stick with alloy.

I might just say screw it and just buy some Azonic Outlaws. Wide rims, solid build and stout hubs. I bet the azonic hubs are similar noise to the koozers but I cant say that for certain... THe $320 price for a wheelset is very attractive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tj90 View Post
    Very nice build. I was looking at this same rim as well. I rode WTB rims 15 (?)years ago and it had that I-beam construction. I see that the design is still alive and well. I felt at the time that it made a stout rim.

I am on the fence between the koozers and Hopes. The noise of the freehub and made in england is a big draw. THe koozers are 72 POE vs 40 with the hopes.

I was also thinking - - why not pair this hub with some carbon hoops? The china carbon is 2x the price of the name brand alloy rims. I am surprised that there are so little options with rims. It seems that its china carbon, WTB, Stans or DT. Even less option for wider rims if you stick with alloy.

I might just say screw it and just buy some Azonic Outlaws. Wide rims, solid build and stout hubs. I bet the azonic hubs are similar noise to the koozers but I cant say that for certain... THe $320 price for a wheelset is very attractive.
    I ended up finding a great deal on a Stans Flow ZTR rim. That's what I'll be pairing up with one of these hubs once they release the gold 72 142x12. I believe my total wheel build will be around $185 after all is said and done (that's with DT Swiss comp spokes). That's a heck of a deal for a stout 142x12 wheel!

Short-Change-Hero
    Do you know for sure they are coming out with a 12x142???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Do you know for sure they are coming out with a 12x142???

Yes. I've been in an e-mail conversation with a representative from the company. The black and red are already 72 POE/6 pawl in the 12x142 size as of about a week ago. Other colors are to be released soon. But from the eBay seller revmega

mtbr member
    ...where can I buy WTB freq i25?
    Quote Originally Posted by tj90 View Post

I got the i25s from Chain Reaction at $67 CAD each, free shipping. All up the wheel build was ~$350 CAD. Looks like the rims are up to $81 now, but going carbon would still be a big step up in price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I need information about shops here in Philippines who sell koozer hubs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I need information about shops here in Philippines who sell koozer hubs.
    kamusta?

from Philippines, pasig to be exact bought my koozer hubs from bikehub in Pampanga near san Fernando SM, P3.5k pair

you can also check out quiapo shops they are selling koozer hubs for like 4.5k to 5k, been using koozer for almost 9 months now and no issues at first it was only for road use, then I decided to use it on light trails so far no issues at all

for road use I now use hdw3 circus monkey hubs, you can check out bikehub's page in FB

search for my youtube video koozer vs hdw3

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    got my black 142x12 72 POE hubs. can't wait to have it installed.

the 3-pawl version had pretty good engagement (albeit too noisy) so this should be awesome-rrr (and quieter). ;D

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by staind View Post
    ...the 3-pawl version had pretty good engagement (albeit too noisy) .... ;D
    Really!!?? That is not something bad for some. Can you post a sound clip or a video?

Cheers
    Abel

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    [QUOTE=Forcemajeure;11948528]

from Philippines, pasig to be exact bought my koozer hubs from bikehub in Pampanga near san Fernando SM, P3.5k pair

you can also check out quiapo shops they are selling koozer hubs for like 4.5k to 5k, been using koozer for almost 9 months now and no issues at first it was only for road use, then I decided to use it on light trails so far no issues at all

Do you know the facebook page of the bike shops in quiapo? Or contact? I've been contacting bike hub, and no koozer available for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    logon to pinoymtbiker.org to check out all contact # of bike shops in quiapo

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Finally got mine. I have to say the packaging was way better than most stuff I buy from China. Custom printed box with folded cardboard inserts for the hubs to fit into, nice.

Hubs look great considering the price. Weights are more or less spot on claimed. Measured F 201 g / R 304 g.
    The fronts are not convertible QR to 15mm, but I'm OK with buying another hub when I change forks.
    Are those weights with the QR skewer or without the skewer? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Are those weights with the QR skewer or without the skewer? Thanks
    Without skewer. Same for the wheelset weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Has anyone verified the ability to convert the rear hub between QR and 12x142?

Braaap
    Purchased a 12x142mm 72pt hubset a few weeks back. Fast shipping (from China) and good packaging. Quality looks to be okay, very satisfied for $100 shipped!
    Last edited by DirtMerchantBicycles; 05-27-2015 at 09:42 PM.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    Purchased a 12x142mm 72pt hubset a few weeks back. Fast shipping (from China) and good packaging. Quality looks to be okay, very satisfied for $100 shipped!

HOWEVER, the cassette body WILL NOT FIT an E13 Extended Range cog (Shimano 42T) and a 11-36 XT cassette. With either the 15t or 17t cog removed, the 11t cog has nothing to bite on nor will the lock ring catch any threads.
    Doesn't adding this extra ring make your drive train an 11 speed in the rear? I think these hubs are capped at 10 speed, right?

mtbr member

HOWEVER, the cassette body WILL NOT FIT an E13 Extended Range cog (Shimano 42T) and a 11-36 XT cassette. With either the 15t or 17t cog removed, the 11t cog has nothing to bite on nor will the lock ring catch any threads.
    Shouldn't there be no change in cassette width...? Did you remove the spacer? Haven't personally tried an extended range cassette though.

Doesn't adding this extra ring make your drive train an 11 speed in the rear? I think these hubs are capped at 10 speed, right?
    You take out a cog from the middle of the 10 speed cassette, and add a larger cog after the 36.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedS123 View Post
    Has anyone verified the ability to convert the rear hub between QR and 12x142?
    You cannot convert the rear hub between QR and 12x142. They are manufactured to meet each spec. separately.

With that being said, the person I've been talking to who is tied to the company stated that they are relocating their factory and production may halt for a few months. I was waiting out the Gold version of the rear 12x142 but opted to pick up a Red one instead so I wouldn't miss out on this hub. Maybe some day when they get production going again and release a gold version I'll buy another one. Until then, it'll be red.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You cannot convert the rear hub between QR and 12x142. They are manufactured to meet each spec. separately.

With that being said, the person I've been talking to who is tied to the company stated that they are relocating their factory and production may halt for a few months. I was waiting out the Gold version of the rear 12x142 but opted to pick up a Red one instead so I wouldn't miss out on this hub. Maybe some day when they get production going again and release a gold version I'll buy another one. Until then, it'll be red.
    Thanks for answering my question!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Braaap
    Shouldn't there be no change in cassette width...? Did you remove the spacer? Haven't personally tried an extended range cassette though.
    One would think. Spacing is tight with the "stock" XT cassette, only a couple MM of overlap on the 11t cog. I might try taking down 2mm or so from the backside of the EX cog...or wait for the 11-42 Praxis 10sp cassette.

I assume you are talking about the shim that is often placed behind the cassette?
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    ...I assume you are talking about the shim that is often placed behind the cassette?
    Talking about the spacer between the 15 and the 17 (the black thing):

mtbr member
    For those that are considering ordering, just a note on shipping from the different sellers on ebay: I ordered a rear a couple of months ago from "Revmega" and it took a few weeks to arrive. Got a wild hair to go ahead and get a front hub, but this time I tried "Sporttide", which arrived in 8 days.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    For those that are considering ordering, just a note on shipping from the different sellers on ebay: I ordered a rear a couple of months ago from "Revmega" and it took a few weeks to arrive. Got a wild hair to go ahead and get a front hub, but this time I tried "Sporttide", which arrived in 8 days.
    I'm not affiliated with these hubs or the sellers but I can tell you that revmega is directly tied to the manufacturer. If you contact the revmega seller or try contacting the manufacturing company directly (reeborn), you'll get a response from the same person. He goes by "Matt".

Also, has anyone completely disassembled this hub? Is it possible to change out the bearings if/when they go bad?

Braaap
    Yep, I retract my statement regarding EX Cog compatibility. Too many cassettes on the workbench after my frustration. No issues.

Yes, the bearings can be replaced. The hubs come with cheap "NGK" bearings but no issues after 50 miles.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I bought one Koozer HA04N 6 palws from revmega. Great service from him. He even ship via express for free. I have it lace up on Flow EX 29er with DT Swiss Competition fork. Now its on my lovely Pyga OneTen29 as shown below.

dBuilt quality of the hub is pretty good. Nothing to complaint at this price. Rode it twice so far. The sound is very nice. Is not too loud but its there. The sound is very refine unlike Hope which is very loud click. This Koozer sounds more like DT Swiss. Engagement is super quick. Hope the reliabilty is there in the long run

mtbr member
    Yep, I retract my statement regarding EX Cog compatibility. Too many cassettes on the workbench after my frustration. No issues.

Yes, the bearings can be replaced. The hubs come with cheap "NGK" bearings but no issues after 50 miles.
    Is it just two sealed bearings on each side (rear hub)? Are instructions provided on how to take apart the hub and replace the bearings? Is there any documentation that states what size the bearings are? I'm planning on swapping the bearings out after the first year of riding with the stock ones.

Thanks in advance. My hub comes in tomorrow. Pretty stoked as I'm upgrading from a low level Shimano deore hub. I'll never willingly buy a loose bearing/cone nut hub again. What a pain in the butt is to get those things to tight up just perfectly so that there is no play and so it doesn't bind and pit the crap out of the bearing race. /rant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Is it just two sealed bearings on each side (rear hub)? Are instructions provided on how to take apart the hub and replace the bearings? Is there any documentation that states what size the bearings are? I'm planning on swapping the bearings out after the first year of riding with the stock ones.

Thanks in advance. My hub comes in tomorrow. Pretty stoked as I'm upgrading from a low level Shimano deore hub. I'll never willingly buy a loose bearing/cone nut hub again. What a pain in the butt is to get those things to tight up just perfectly so that there is no play and so it doesn't bind and pit the crap out of the bearing race. /rant.
    The bearing is common bearing 6902. S6902 2RS if its 2 rubber seal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning69 View Post
    The bearing is common bearing 6902. S6902 2RS if its 2 rubber seal.
    Thanks! Anyone know if they are easy to remove/pull?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks! Anyone know if they are easy to remove/pull?
    Should be the same as this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCHsyMC57zo

mtbr member
    Just received my 142x12 version. It's off to the shop to get laced up to a Stans Flow ZTR rim with DT Swiss Comp spokes (silver). I'll post up the final product and follow up with ride results. It's quite interesting going from my shimano hub with lots of play between clicks to this hub where there is virtually no play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just received my 142x12 version. It's off to the shop to get laced up to a Stans Flow ZTR rim with DT Swiss Comp spokes (silver). I'll post up the final product and follow up with ride results. It's quite interesting going from my shimano hub with lots of play between clicks to this hub where there is virtually no play!

I am sure you will love it.

mtbr member
    Has anyone confirmed whether or not the QR front hub can be converted to 15mm thru-axle?

I sent an email to Reborn, but haven't heard back yet.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Has anyone confirmed whether or not the QR front hub can be converted to 15mm thru-axle?

I sent an email to Reborn, but haven't heard back yet.
    It is not convertible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It is not convertible.
    When you say it's not convertible, do you mean Koozer don't do a kit? I've converted plenty of front hubs to 15mm thru but it might need different bearings and/or custom made end caps. What size bearings does the front hub take and what is their spacing?

mtbr member
    It is not convertible.
    Good news, got an email from Matt:

At this time the qr hub can't convert to thru-axle hub, but we are working on it, it will convert in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    When you say it's not convertible, do you mean Koozer don't do a kit? I've converted plenty of front hubs to 15mm thru but it might need different bearings and/or custom made end caps. What size bearings does the front hub take and what is their spacing?
    Correct, at least for now... but I just got a deal on a 15mm thru-fork, so I'd prefer not wait on it. I've thought about doing my own conversion as well, maybe using collars similar to the ones on my old Bullseye BMX hubs and any necessary spacers... not sure yet though how to research what parts to get and how to get them. What is your method?

I haven't measured the bearings or spacing just yet. Someone above mentioned that they are 6902's, but I suspect that is for the thru-axle model because 6902 bearings have a 15mm ID. However, finding a bearing with the desired dimensions shouldn't be difficult; I've done it for other custom applications in the past.

Edit:
    Just pulled the QR hub apart, and it they are indeed 6902 2RS bearings, so that's a good start as they have a 15mm ID. I'm tempted to buy a Koozer thru hub to see what exactly the difference is... my guess it that it is only a matter of spacing.
    Last edited by gotdurt; 06-07-2015 at 09:47 AM.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Ok, got my 142x12 6pawl hub all laced up by a local shop. Pics below. I ended up going with DT Swiss Comp spokes laced to a Stans ZTR Flow. A couple things...

The 142x12 hub DOES NOT have threaded end caps. They simply slide on with o-rings over the internal axle. The end caps are stepped so that they sit flush with the axle. I guess the caps don't have to be threaded as the straight through axle (Maxle) tightens everything up once it's installed on the bike. This also does make it quite easy to service the hub as I don't have to unthread anything. Other than that, the hub looks nice and sounds pretty nifty. I'll need to get it on the trails a few time before giving it my seal of approval. I can say this for sure, with 72 POE, there's definitely more resistance when coasting. Hopefully that won't be too noticeable when I'm actually riding. Enough for the text... here are the pics..

Disc and 10 speed Shimano XT cassette installed

Rubber mounted tubeless... all ready to go!

mtbr member
    Wow, this hub is pretty sweet. After one ride, the pawls have "loosened" up and there is not as much resistance. The bearings in the hub are very smooth and the overall design makes my old shimano deore hub feel like it was made out of molasses. I can free spin the wheel without it stopping on its own WAY longer than my old hub. I'll keep reporting back regarding this hub but so far I'm lovin' it!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ...What is your method?
    I've done the 15mm conversion a number of ways depending on the bearing sizes and bearing spacing.

My preferred approach is to use a Tune or American Classic 15 thru axle. These are 17mm in diameter, so you need new bearings with a 17mm ID. 6902's are 15 x 28 x 7mm. I have replaced those with 17287 bearings. Additional spacers or mods to the bearing seats may be required to fine tune things. Not a problem if you have a lathe or a friendly local machine shop.

The other approach is to machine up some custom end caps or use Novatec 15mm end caps (perhaps with some modification). I don't like using end caps as much because often with DIY 15mm conversions there is no way to keep the end caps in place - they just fall out when you remove the wheel. Makes wheel changes (fixing flats) a bit of a pain.

mtbr member
    My preferred approach is to use a Tune or American Classic 15 thru axle. These are 17mm in diameter, so you need new bearings with a 17mm ID. 6902's are 15 x 28 x 7mm. I have replaced those with 17287 bearings.
    That's an interesting approach, I'd agree the way to go for a permanent solution. For those interested, they are $30 on Amazon.

Additional spacers or mods to the bearing seats may be required to fine tune things. Not a problem if you have a lathe or a friendly local machine shop.
    There's my issue; I'd rather not change the hub body, but would rather preserve it in order to keep everything reversible. I'm looking for a temporary fix until the proper conversion comes out, plus I have other bikes that will retain QRs and like to have the ability to swap wheels between them, so I'd like to keep the option to easily convert back to QR.

The other approach is to machine up some custom end caps or use Novatec 15mm end caps (perhaps with some modification). I don't like using end caps as much because often with DIY 15mm conversions there is no way to keep the end caps in place - they just fall out when you remove the wheel. Makes wheel changes (fixing flats) a bit of a pain.
    That's the direction I'm leaning. Stan's also use the 6902 bearing, with a similar axle/cap setup:Stan's axle caps
    Since the bearings are the same, I'd bet money ($15 to be exact) that the bore at the O-ring is the same or similar. Then it's a matter of adjusting the width.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've used the Stans caps too. If you take a look on this page, I've got all of the dimensions for the Stans 15mm caps so you can see if it will work before you buy.

mtbr member
    I've used the Stans caps too. If you take a look on this page, I've got all of the dimensions for the Stans 15mm caps so you can see if it will work before you buy.
    Excellent, thanks!
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Just that. Thick oil, such as Phil's Tenacious Oil or similar (think gear oil). Needs to be viscous enough to not run out of the hub.

Using grease to quiet a hub is little better than oiling your brake pads to stop squealing.
    Sorry to bring this back up but would Slick Honey be a suitable choice to lube up the pawls? I'm mainly looking to reduce drag a bit. Don't care about the sound. Actually like them loud.

mtbr member
    Finally measured a cap, looks like we have a match... close enough anyway. The Stan's caps are 1mm wider each, but it's easier to remove material than add. I'm going to go ahead and order a set.
    Last edited by gotdurt; 06-10-2015 at 08:04 AM.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Sorry to bring this back up but would Slick Honey be a suitable choice to lube up the pawls? I'm mainly looking to reduce drag a bit. Don't care about the sound. Actually like them loud.
    I was recommended to use mineral oil to lube the pawls and teeth. I'm assuming this is fine as this is what is used on mavic hubs. I do notice a decrease in sound but an increase in drag a bit. Maybe another ride will free up the pawls a bit more. Thoughts anyone?

mtbr member
    Success! Koozer 9mm QR fr hub converted to 15mm thru-axle via Stan's end caps...

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -2015-06-12-19.04.18s.jpg

All that was needed was a few seconds each on the flat side of the grinder (maybe .5mm each), and they slipped right into the fork. The OD of the o-ring is *slightly* small so they will come out of the bore under their own weight dry, but a touch of grease holds them well. A slightly thicker o-ring could also do the trick, if it isn't too much. Either way, they'll do the job until Koozer comes out with the kit.
    Some videos

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice. Looking at building a second set of rim this year and seriously contemplating getting theses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    been using koozer hubs 6 pawls for 9 months and still lovin it.. my circus monkey hdw3 is a bit lighter but not as loud as my koozer hubs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcemajeure View Post
    been using koozer hubs 6 pawls for 9 months and still lovin it.. my circus monkey hdw3 is a bit lighter but not as loud as my koozer hubs
    Thanks for the mini-review. Nice to see these hubs surviving close to a year down the road. Have you performed any maintenance on them?

mtbr member
    I've put about close to 50 hard miles on these hubs (all trail riding). Still holding up good. I wiped out the grease that came in the hubs (wasn't much) and laid down some mineral oil. I did this only based on what I have read here and elsewhere... mineral oil is better than grease for hub pawls and whatnot. Anyways, the mineral oil quieted the hub down quite a bit for the first 15 miles or so. After that, it's loud again (fine by me). Appears to be breaking in. Great hub... love them! Oh, I'm running the 142x12 6 pawl version. Works fantastic and is a breeze to work on. Because of the pressed caps, I can remove my cassette w/out having to remove it from the free hub body. This gives me immediate access to the pawls and teeth. Sweet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the mini-review. Nice to see these hubs surviving close to a year down the road. Have you performed any maintenance on them?

I normally check, and regrease the rear hubs like every 3 months, or depends on the dirt condition,

i never greased the front hub, used synthetic lithium grease on the rear hub, i only use them on light trails.. circus monkey hdw3 on my other bike for road use only

Short-Change-Hero
    What other grease/lube do you guys recommend? I know that Phil Wood has some stuff that people like but just getting an idea as I am very much contemplating building these up for my bike. I need to pull my freehub and see what the stock grease is like in there, mine are random Taiwanese brand that a family friend sells (he is my wheelbuilder).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'd go with dumondetech freehub oil. Currently using thier liquid grease in these hubs

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Another thing that is easy to miss is that when you put the freehub back in after lubing pawls , the outer freehub seal folds in on itself in places. This increases friction by a lot. I had to go around it with a dental pick for it to sit right on both of my hubs . Really happy with these hubs so far, I have two rears, both 72poe, not to many miles on them yet though

mtbr member
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!
    I pounded the heck out of these hubs last week in NM, at Angel Fire bike park and and South boundary trail 164, among others; their first DH runs with extended coasting times. All seems to be well; I'll pull the freehub apart soon to check lubrication and a visual check to see how things held up.

Here's the final descent from SBT 164 (Pts 3 and 4 are my fav's); I didn't add music as usual because the hub makes the music (view 1080p)
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Nice... looks like people are getting good work in with these hubs. I as well have been riding them at least 3 times a week on Colorado trails. Crashed twice and they're still holding up.

Also wanted everyone to know that as of yesterday, the seller revmega on ebay now has ALL colored hubs available ALL in the 6 pawl design (rear hub). Go get 'em!

mtbr member

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under $60

Can anyone confirm bearing size for the 142x12 6 pawl version? Read it was 6902, if so is this size for all 4 bearings?Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Can anyone confirm bearing size for the 142x12 6 pawl version? Read it was 6902, if so is this size for all 4 bearings?Thx
    Yes. It's 6902 2RS. 2 for the front hub and 4 for the rear hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning69 View Post
    Yes. It's 6902 2RS. 2 for the front hub and 4 for the rear hub.
    Thx appreciate it .

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Here is a vid I shot on Sunday.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u1XQ3Zy4Zgs

Braaap
    Roughly 100miles and there is visible wear on one side. Still stoked on them, I'll be buying another set soon.
    Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -p5pb12412045.jpg
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

mtbr member
    Roughly 100miles and there is visible wear on one side. Still stoked on them, I'll be buying another set soon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb12412045.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	280.6 KB 
ID:	999419
    Wear like this is common, right? Meaning, other decent quality name-brand hubs would most likely have the same wear and tear?

Also, kinda like the fact that my 142x12 versions have caps so I never have to remove my cassette to access the panels.

DFMBA.org
    What other grease/lube do you guys recommend? I know that Phil Wood has some stuff that people like but just getting an idea as I am very much contemplating building these up for my bike. I need to pull my freehub and see what the stock grease is like in there, mine are random Taiwanese brand that a family friend sells (he is my wheelbuilder).
    I use Phill waterproof grease alot and did put a light coat on the pawls of a Specialized hub. I know there's some discussion on here about grease vs oil in the hubs but IMO Phil fits the bill, especially if you live in a place where it's wet.My philosophy is to use grease in any environment where there's high-speed metal-to-metal contact.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

DFMBA.org
    Wear like this is common, right? Meaning, other decent quality name-brand hubs would most likely have the same wear and tear?

Also, kinda like the fact that my 142x12 versions have caps so I never have to remove my cassette to access the panels.
    Yes, with an inexpensive cassette where each sprocket separates from the other when removed. The better option is to choose something like an XT-level cassette where the sprockets ride on aluminum carrier and the carrier slides onto the freehub. This distributes the load better across the freehub and also makes cassette removal much easier. If you had a cheap hub like a Deore where the freehub was steel then this wouldn't be an issue. I'm assuming the freehub body on the Koozers is AL and that's why you're getting the dents.

Name:  XT-m770.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  70.4 KB

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Love this hub, roughly riding about 500KM, still smooth.

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Yes, with an inexpensive cassette where each sprocket separates from the other when removed. The better option is to choose something like an XT-level cassette where the sprockets ride on aluminum carrier and the carrier slides onto the freehub. This distributes the load better across the freehub and also makes cassette removal much easier. If you had a cheap hub like a Deore where the freehub was steel then this wouldn't be an issue. I'm assuming the freehub body on the Koozers is AL and that's why you're getting the dents.
    The photo is meant to show the wear around the pawls, not the gauging on the HG splines.

So far the wear is just on the hard ano. What is more concerning is that it is only on one side of the freehub. I've used Slick Honey since day one. Again, I'm not too concerned about it, just trying to add some info regarding the hub's quality. I have not seen similar wear on a Hadley or CK.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    The marks between the pawls are from the freehub body getting pulled into the drive ring because of axle flex. It's common to most of the cheap hubs that have aluminum axles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Has anyone so far built these up with Nextie carbon hoops? Seems like the better choice for the "cheap carbon build" wheel. Just wondering what the total price was for anyone who went this route?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    The marks between the pawls are from the freehub body getting pulled into the drive ring because of axle flex. It's common to most of the cheap hubs that have aluminum axles.
    I think combination of this and bearings that cannot handle the load. My Stans 3.30 hub same thing all the red anno is gone around pawls. It was my drive side wheel bearing that crapped out. Always debates about whether it's caused by axle flex vs bad bearings.

One can change to higher quality bearing (skf) as I did with my Stans hub to see if makes a difference- time will tell. No options to change to stiffer axle though.

DFMBA.org
    The photo is meant to show the wear around the pawls, not the gauging on the HG splines.

So far the wear is just on the hard ano. What is more concerning is that it is only on one side of the freehub. I've used Slick Honey since day one. Again, I'm not too concerned about it, just trying to add some info regarding the hub's quality. I have not seen similar wear on a Hadley or CK.
    My bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Anyone built a 650b on these hubs? Can you share your spokes length? Im planning to build a 650b wheelsets out of this hub laced with ztr crest rims either dt swiss revo/pillar spokes. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    This hub is awesome. Built up to set of Stans Arch EX rims. Had about 5 rides now and the high engagement is very noticeable especially on slow steep techy climbs (instant power) compared to my old 3 pawl.Time will tell if it holds up but so far so good.

DFMBA.org
    You also can get a tub of BellRay waterproof grease on ebay for about $12-13. A bike guy I know has used it for years and one can will last you about that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    ^^^ This. Pretty much all of these hubs that have a 15mm diameter alu axle are not up to the job. Lifespan depends on how evenly the pawls engage the ring gear. When they engage on an angle because the axle is flexing, they start to wear unevenly. The pawls will then fail or the freehub will distort or crack around the pawls.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    You also can get a tub of BellRay waterproof grease on ebay for about $12-13. A bike guy I know has used it for years and one can will last you about that.
    Thanks found a tub on eBay for $9.54 with free shipping. Will any waterproof bearing grease work or is bearing grease too thick?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    anyone knows how to remove the inner bearings on the rear hub and front hub?

i was able to remove only 2 bearings on the freehub body

Koozer hubs, 72 POE @ under -14.jpg

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast