Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    713

    King/DT comp/ DT 5.1D vs 07 Mavic Crossmax SX

    Which one would you choose and why?

    thnx

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,863
    For what use?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    713

    Everything

    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    For what use?
    Everything from Cross Country to All Mountain to Freeride, they are going on a 7/6.5 inch bike. Moderated drops 5-9 feet and lot's of rocks and narly terrain.

  4. #4
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Myself, I would choose the Kings, simply cause if ya break something , everthing on that wheelset can easily be replaced or tools and parts easily accessed. The mavic stuff may be getting shipped off or have to go to a Mavic authorized dealer to deal with.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,863
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Myself, I would choose the Kings, simply cause if ya break something , everthing on that wheelset can easily be replaced or tools and parts easily accessed. The mavic stuff may be getting shipped off or have to go to a Mavic authorized dealer to deal with.
    I agree, unless you want to run tubeless tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5

    Crossmax (black) Crs/mx SLssc (Silver) both great 2yrs

    I bought a santa cruz softtail with the black crossmax's with 2.1 tubless ust mud tires. 2 years ago Then I got a bonus @ work & bought a pair of the upgraded C/Mx ssl silver with a lighter set of Hutchinson 2.3 tires . If I weigh both sets they are both about 11 lbs but theres more rubber on the dirt with the 2.3.s You don't really feel what they mean by wheel flex until you try some really stiff hard inflated sets. I run some steel spoked mavic 717's on my hard tail with caliper brakes & I can feel/hear the rub when I turn & brake on a steep down hill.The C/Mx with disks - one finger control even with the seat stuck in my chest & my ass hangin over the rear tread. In a race last summer on sandy trails & I ran with a softer tire to make a flatter pad & on an off camber turn the rear tire rolled off the rim just enough to break the seal on the rim & I spilled enough pressure to have to get off & get it hard again - I came third in my age group on that one.. that's the only time I've had a problem with either wheel sets in all that time & I think I got too techno stupid racing @ 25 lbs pressure .
    Somewhere else on this site I asked if any one knows where I can inflate my bike wheels with NITROGEN.- Has become all the rage around here with snow tires on cars so it makes even more sense on lower inflation bike tires...How about it any body ??? They even give you green valve caps to denote the Nitro. How cool is that ??

  7. #7
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,863
    Quote Originally Posted by youngt2
    I bought a santa cruz softtail with the black crossmax's with 2.1 tubless ust mud tires. 2 years ago Then I got a bonus @ work & bought a pair of the upgraded C/Mx ssl silver with a lighter set of Hutchinson 2.3 tires . If I weigh both sets they are both about 11 lbs but theres more rubber on the dirt with the 2.3.s You don't really feel what they mean by wheel flex until you try some really stiff hard inflated sets. I run some steel spoked mavic 717's on my hard tail with caliper brakes & I can feel/hear the rub when I turn & brake on a steep down hill.The C/Mx with disks - one finger control even with the seat stuck in my chest & my ass hangin over the rear tread. In a race last summer on sandy trails & I ran with a softer tire to make a flatter pad & on an off camber turn the rear tire rolled off the rim just enough to break the seal on the rim & I spilled enough pressure to have to get off & get it hard again - I came third in my age group on that one.. that's the only time I've had a problem with either wheel sets in all that time & I think I got too techno stupid racing @ 25 lbs pressure .
    Somewhere else on this site I asked if any one knows where I can inflate my bike wheels with NITROGEN.- Has become all the rage around here with snow tires on cars so it makes even more sense on lower inflation bike tires...How about it any body ??? They even give you green valve caps to denote the Nitro. How cool is that ??
    Holy Rambling Off Topic!

    The CrossMax SX wheels are new for 2007 and wider than the wheels (including the 717s) you have as are the DT 5.1 rims and both are heavier duty.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  8. #8
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I agree, unless you want to run tubeless tires.
    Doesn't DT make a tubelss kit for the 5.1's???

    I love my DT4.1 rims converted to tubeless via the available kit so far.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    713
    Thanks guys my sentiments were echoed by you guys,I just wanted to make sure I was making the right choice. It will cost me a whole of a lot less since all I have to do is re-lace my existing King hubs to a set of 5.1 rims.

  10. #10
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,863
    Quote Originally Posted by gkler
    Thanks guys my sentiments were echoed by you guys,I just wanted to make sure I was making the right choice. It will cost me a whole of a lot less since all I have to do is re-lace my existing King hubs to a set of 5.1 rims.
    You already have the CK hubs? No brainer! Relacing them with the new rims is the way to go.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •