psycho cyclo addict

King 20mm drive shell swap

Does anyone know what tool is required to swap Chris King 20mm hub innards to a new drive shell? I'm building a new wheel set soon and thought about getting a new drive shells as opposed another set of hubs. I know the rear requires the CK tool but wasn't sure about the front...

Custom Wheel Builder
    Nov 2012
    The preload adjusting ring and axle will come out without special tools but you will need the CK tool to remove and replace the bearings into the new shell
    www.wheelwerks.us
    sales@wheelwerks.us
    Dealers for Chris King, Stan's, Lupine and more

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

Ck

To change out the bearings on the Large Diameter front hub requires you to send it to King. I wanted to do this a couple of years back and noticed in their old service manuals it stated I could purchase the adapter to use with my hub tool. But when I called King they said it's not available anymore. I would call King to see if this is still true.

Ow!
    I seem to remember removing a bearing from a 20mm front, but didn't use an official gizmo to remove it. I used the CK tool set, but may have used something else as an adapter. I remember is was not easy to take the bearing out (not like using the tool for the rear), but I think it was fairly easy to put the bearing back in. I cannot remember why I needed/wanted to do that, it was so long ago.

Unless you found a good deal for a shell, it seems more economical to buy a hub from ebay, classifieds, etc. It's not like buying a new rear shell and putting your guts in it from another hub (which would be a lot less $$ than buying a complete rear hub). Of course, if you want a specific color, then that may limit choices.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    To change out the bearings on the Large Diameter front hub requires you to send it to King. I wanted to do this a couple of years back and noticed in their old service manuals it stated I could purchase the adapter to use with my hub tool. But when I called King they said it's not available anymore. I would call King to see if this is still true.
    Repped- thanks.

I called CK and you are correct... swapping LD front hub bearings on your own voids the warranty. Sounded as if some have botched it often enough that they had to say send it in.

I managed to score a set of used hubs for a reasonable price so I'm going to build up the new wheel set on them and keep the old set of Flows with straight 2.0 spokes around. They are still in decent shape and I hate to rip out all the labor that went into building them.