mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Kevlar tyres but cannot be folded

I've just spent my afternoon for window shopping at our lbs. I spotted on displayed second hand tyres. They were Scott Oxyd and Specialized The Captain both were 26x200. Surely I interested with them so as to replace my worn tyres in the other bike. The seller said the buyer just left it when they bought a new bike and replaced it with another. He told me that they made by kevlar but cannot be folded. He noticed Maxxis or Kenda also made those things.

Do the most kevlar tyres are foldable or some of them couldn't be folded? As far as I know only the wire bead which cannot be folded.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have not heard of a Kevlar or Aramid bead that cannot be folded. They may have implemented the kevlar material elsewhere on the tire (ie tread) and can label the tire as such. If it cannot be folded, it's a steel/wire bead and is generally heavier/cheaper (cost wise) than it's lighter kevlar/aramid counterpart.

mtbr member
    Sometimes when people refer to a "kevlar tire" they are talking about a flat protection layer under the tread. Most people that come into our shop asking for a "kevlar tire" are looking for that, rather than a folding bead.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club