mtbr member
    Feb 2006

... and if we just ... Kenda's "new" Nevegal 2 Pro 27.5/29 (2.4" & 2.6" ) And Hellkat pro

Kenda will be releasing their new Nevagal 2 pro and Hellkat pro tires with 2.4/2.6 widths

Nevegal2 Pro

article : https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/09/05...in-bike-tires/

2.4 weight comes in a 810g +\- 40 although the etrto is 60-584 (2.35")
    2.6 weight is TBD

anyone else stoked about this tire?

Hellkat Pro:

https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/...y/hellkat-pro/
    Last edited by maclgallant; 1 Week Ago at 06:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It looks interesting. Not sure how i feel about the transition knobs on 2/3rds of the tire. I'd be more interested if the price wasn't $80, already a lot of tires in that price range that I *know* work well.

I'm still hoping for a Smoke/Dart/Velociraptor resurgence.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I'm still hoping for a Smoke/Dart/Velociraptor resurgence.
    Youíre old. They were my tires back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MTB B'dos
    Neveglas used to impress me when that's all I'd ever ridden, then I started trying other brands and wasn't so impressed, actually was really un-impresed, so no, doesn't excite me, the soon to be Maxxis 29x2.6" Rekon and possibly DHF/DHR2, hell yeah, can't wait for them.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I'm a bit like LyNx - liked the nevegl BITD but I have been using DHF's and Chunky monkey tires for ages now. Every now and then I try other tires so if a Nevegal 2 becomes available for sale for under $50 I may try one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I've been looking for the 2.6s often and can't find them. All the reviews have been good and apparently the rolling resistance is very low. If anyone finds the 2.6s let us know!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Neveglas used to impress me when that's all I'd ever ridden, then I started trying other brands and wasn't so impressed, actually was really un-impresed, so no, doesn't excite me, the soon to be Maxxis 29x2.6" Rekon and possibly DHF/DHR2, hell yeah, can't wait for them.
    Maxxis DHF/DHR2. That's what I have on my Pivot Mach 5.5 and loving it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So my brother's Rocky Mountain Altitude came with a Maxxis DHF 2.5 up front and DHRII in the rear. In every descent I'd creep up on him quickly ( I've got Specialized Butcher front, Purgatory rear. Both 2.6). I kept giving him hell about it so I jumped on his bike. My god, it felt like constant resistance. Good cornering grip but would slow down the moment you let off the power. That night we swapped his to the new Kenda Hellkat front, Nevegal 2 rear, 2.4s. Same trails the next day and I almost couldn't keep up with him. After our first trail he literally said " I think I'm in love!" He had nothing but good things to say about them after our ten mile ride. The trails were south east of Albuquerque NM, rated black with 15-25 percent grades with both hard pack and huge sharp and chunky rock. I'm still waiting for those same tires in 2.6 to become available.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Some pics of that beauty.
    Kenda Hellkat Pro 2.4 834 grams
    Nevegal 2 Pro 2.4 809 grams
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kenda's "new" Nevegal 2 Pro 27.5/29 (2.4" & 2.6" ) anyone get there hands on them?-d9710b41-72ac-4c78-94f2-c95073186345.jpg  

Kenda's "new" Nevegal 2 Pro 27.5/29 (2.4" & 2.6" ) anyone get there hands on them?-4505e5c0-6621-43e4-abb0-291d6fcfb6da.jpg  

Kenda's "new" Nevegal 2 Pro 27.5/29 (2.4" & 2.6" ) anyone get there hands on them?-671cb3fa-f5e8-4ea2-9123-543585959bea.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Uhhh.
    STILL waiting on arrival of the 2.4 Hellkat and Nevegal2 enduro versions to match up with my Bird Aeris 120. 🙄
    But good for you 😜

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    the 2.6" are due End of May apaprently

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hellkat 2.4 enduro - end april
    Nevegal2 2.4 enduro - mid june
    here in Europe

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by agauna View Post
    Some pics of that beauty.
    Kenda Hellkat Pro 2.4 834 grams
    Nevegal 2 Pro 2.4 809 grams

how wide do they measure on those Duroc 30's (27mm ID)?

No good in rock gardens..
    "It has half the rolling resistance of the original, producing about 33watts of resistance compared to 66 watts for the original."

That would explain a lot. The original was popular here in Australia but soon became known as the "Kenda Never-go" on account of the rolling resistance.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Iíve been running them for a bit. Done a few races with them. Bought them from Kenda at a race before they were widely available.

Itís a good tire. Iíve run it front and rear and as a front with mezcal 2.35 tnt g+ rear.

Rolling resistance is much better than DHF/DHR2 (that combo rolling resistance is a joke anyway so no surprise there). Itís basically the same rr as dhf/aggressor or Michelin Wild AM.

Has a good consistent feel when leaning it over.

Itís a good tire, one of the top ones out there I think. Not extraordinary but I prefer it to Wild am because it feels more consistent (I like intermediate knobs on loose over hard). About 100g heavier than Wild am.

I think you can easily pick between nevegal 2 pro, dhf/aggressor, and Wild am based on personal preference for feel and not lose any real performance between them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Was this the folding or wired Hellkat ?

The Helldiver come folding but struggling to find folding Hellkat/

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    Iíve been running them for a bit. Done a few races with them. Bought them from Kenda at a race before they were widely available.

Itís a good tire. Iíve run it front and rear and as a front with mezcal 2.35 tnt g+ rear.

Rolling resistance is much better than DHF/DHR2 (that combo rolling resistance is a joke anyway so no surprise there). Itís basically the same rr as dhf/aggressor or Michelin Wild AM.

Has a good consistent feel when leaning it over.

Itís a good tire, one of the top ones out there I think. Not extraordinary but I prefer it to Wild am because it feels more consistent (I like intermediate knobs on loose over hard). About 100g heavier than Wild am.

I think you can easily pick between nevegal 2 pro, dhf/aggressor, and Wild am based on personal preference for feel and not lose any real performance between them.
    Thanks for the feedback. Was looking at 2.6 Negeval 2 as an alternative to Aggressor 2.5? I suspect the Negeval 2 will end up maybe 50-60g lighter than the Aggressor. But overall would you say it has similar rolling resistance and grip to Aggressor? The biggest issue is price in the USA. Maxxis tires are easily on sale all the time in the $50-60range, but looks like the Kenda are selling at $80.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Was looking at 2.6 Negeval 2 as an alternative to Aggressor 2.5? I suspect the Negeval 2 will end up maybe 50-60g lighter than the Aggressor. But overall would you say it has similar rolling resistance and grip to Aggressor? The biggest issue is price in the USA. Maxxis tires are easily on sale all the time in the $50-60range, but looks like the Kenda are selling at $80.
    It's hard to say for sure, and grip and stuff may vary for terrain type (here where I ride in socal it's loose sand over hard) but I think it's probably similar enough. I think being used to the tire, and liking the way it feels and how it behaves is more important than if one tire has ever so slightly more grip than another. At least for me.

My roll down test is very simple, but very repeatable. Start up a small hill (15-20ft of elevation) and from a standstill coast down it, roll out on the flat until the bike comes to a complete stop. Wear the same clothing, hold a position. No wind. This is on fire road that is typical of our conditions, not road. Repeat 3-4 times. Results were surprisingly consistent. End positions were sometimes within inches. Other times it would be up to a couple of feet. Difference between an aggressor and like a mezcal was 16 feet. 2.5" DHF/DHR vs 2.35 mezcal rear 2.4 nevegal front was 26 feet.

When I tested the DHF/Aggressor 2.3 Exo vs the 2.4 Nevegal Pro 2 the stopping point was similar enough that I couldn't conclude one was faster than the other--especially in a meaningful way. Talking to the guys at Kenda, they don't seem to think that tire width has much affect on rolling resistance. I agree. Keep in mind this is in the context of a 2.2 vs 2.4 not like a 1.9 vs 5 or something crazy.

If kenda is at any of your local races you may be able to pick up the tires at a discount.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    It's hard to say for sure, and grip and stuff may vary for terrain type (here where I ride in socal it's loose sand over hard) but I think it's probably similar enough. I think being used to the tire, and liking the way it feels and how it behaves is more important than if one tire has ever so slightly more grip than another. At least for me.

My roll down test is very simple, but very repeatable. Start up a small hill (15-20ft of elevation) and from a standstill coast down it, roll out on the flat until the bike comes to a complete stop. Wear the same clothing, hold a position. No wind. This is on fire road that is typical of our conditions, not road. Repeat 3-4 times. Results were surprisingly consistent. End positions were sometimes within inches. Other times it would be up to a couple of feet. Difference between an aggressor and like a mezcal was 16 feet. 2.5" DHF/DHR vs 2.35 mezcal rear 2.4 nevegal front was 26 feet.

When I tested the DHF/Aggressor 2.3 Exo vs the 2.4 Nevegal Pro 2 the stopping point was similar enough that I couldn't conclude one was faster than the other--especially in a meaningful way. Talking to the guys at Kenda, they don't seem to think that tire width has much affect on rolling resistance. I agree. Keep in mind this is in the context of a 2.2 vs 2.4 not like a 1.9 vs 5 or something crazy.

If kenda is at any of your local races you may be able to pick up the tires at a discount.
    I got my first ride with my new Aggressor 2.5 (rear) and kept DHF (front). Definitely rolls and pedals better than DHF (front & back).

And to clarify your test it was (front/back) DHF/Aggressor vs. DHF/Nevagal2 OR Nevagal2/Nevagal2 or Nevagal2/Mezcal?

I'm intrigued and maybe Nevagal2/Aggressor can be good combo as well. Not like my DHF are worn out, but I was quite surprised how much noticably better rolling the Aggressor is compared to DHF.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Any puncture feedback on the ATC casing when riding rockish trails. Hellkat front and Nevegal 2 rear???
    I'm hitting the alps next week and right now i've mounted my 1.5ish ply Bontrager SE5/SE4 but have the new Kenda on my workshop table.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by maclgallant View Post
    Kenda will be releasing their new Nevagal 2 pro tires with 2.4/2.6 widths

Nevegal2 Pro

article : https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/09/05...in-bike-tires/

2.4 weight comes in a 810g +\- 40 although the etrto is 60-584 (2.35")
    2.6 weight is TBD

anyone else stoked about this tire?
    i

I'm not sure; I've noticed that Maxxis, while they may be bit heavier, have somewhat better grip and are not as loud on pavement. I was planning on buying both a 2.4 and a 2.6 pretty soon and if Kenda and Maxxis are the same price I was going to go w/Maxxis. What would the advantage of Kenda be? Are they claiming better grip, or lighter, or better rolling?

I have a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 on the back and it was fine, but it did wear down way faster than the Maxxis DHF 2.5 on the front. I understand the back tire will wear down faster due to most of the weight being on it, but it's 2/3 worn after 1200 miles; the Maxxis is only maybe 25% worn with about 1500 miles and can go a lot longer. Sorry but Maxxis just seems superior in many ways.
    Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm willing to give the Hellkat pro 2.4 AEC a shot (074V5852). Can't find it anywhere yet. If anyone got information on availabity...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    I got my first ride with my new Aggressor 2.5 (rear) and kept DHF (front). Definitely rolls and pedals better than DHF (front & back).

And to clarify your test it was (front/back) DHF/Aggressor vs. DHF/Nevagal2 OR Nevagal2/Nevagal2 or Nevagal2/Mezcal?

I'm intrigued and maybe Nevagal2/Aggressor can be good combo as well. Not like my DHF are worn out, but I was quite surprised how much noticably better rolling the Aggressor is compared to DHF.
    My testing is generally keeping the front tire constant. And only changing the rear tire. I was trying to figure out how much rolling resistance each tire has, and then building a combo I liked from there.

Most of my testing has been with Michelin wild am front, and nevegal 2 pro 2.4 with the ebike casing front. Iíve also done a couple tests with the dhf in front just to see but it doesnít matter much.

So taking to the kenda Guy, one of the differences between ATC casing and the ebike casing is the ebike casing adds another strip of reinforcing around the bead to provide tire stability and prevent pinch flatting. He says they are very durable, and in my experience of getting rim strikes front and rear Iíve yet to flat.