mtbr member

Kenda UST+ sealant ... delamination question

I've read that sealant in a Kenda UST can cause blistering and de-lamination. I just ordered a Slant Six UST.
    I need sealant for the many thorns in my region.

I was thinking of coating the interior w/ a thin coat of spray rubber before I do anything.

This stuff:

Any thoughts?

Suggestions?

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    personally I thought all that talk with sealant and kenda ust was bull with all the mixed reviews saying some of the carcasses delaminate after blistering and some don't!

UNTIL in Late Feb I bought a brand new set of kenda nevegal ust and on Friday, I saw exactly what happens...

I was ridding some pretty extreme xc trails.....Mostly double blacks and double reds..... a lot of sharp rock legdes, rock garden, multiple large drops and such.....when riding these tires on smooth trails.....Tires performed the best ive ever rode....and even on the most extreme trails....these were the best!

Ride a few extreme trails and the tire gets large blisters....and when air gets in one blister...... carcass seperates and air goes in between the carcass and rubber and causes these huge bubbles.....bigger than a softball!

I love my ust nevegals but could never ride without sealant.....I WOULD NEVER buy a kenda ust tire again.... despite how much I love the tire.....I cant afford to fall off a cliff if I case a jump and my tire blows out 20-30 mins later on a real technical section! Because it goes from a small bubble then air works its self threw the carcass and the rubber and then u get the large bubble!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Not to highjack a thread, but I've had a similar question. I'm handing down my old bike to the wife as she pretty much refuses to put money down on a dirt oriented machine. (She's a triathlete so all of her money goes into her road bike. She's been content up to this point with an old Giant Iguana.)

I've been riding Kenda Kadres and really love them. I have an old worn out pair, the pair on my old bike, and a practically brand-new pair on her bike. I bought a 29er and have gone tubeless on it and definitely see a difference in grip.

The basic goal on my old bike is lower the pressure to get the bike, a 26" HT to ride smoother over small roots. Out trails are fairly smooth with minor dips and climbs, but lots of small roots--in the 1" to 2" range. A few thorns, not much. I'd love to go tubeless to prevent pinch flats and use a sealant (I have Super Juice) to prevent flats from debris.

Is there no fix to the Kenda vs Sealant issue?

Should I punt and put in lightweight tubes and a lesser amount of sealant? Is there a different lightweight solution I haven't thought of?

I definitely don't want to do something that will cause her an injury out there as it's hard enough to get her to ride trail as it is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteRed View Post
    Is there no fix to the Kenda vs Sealant issue?

Should I punt and put in lightweight tubes and a lesser amount of sealant? Is there a different lightweight solution I haven't thought of?

I definitely don't want to do something that will cause her an injury out there as it's hard enough to get her to ride trail as it is.
    Good news: Kenda is developing a Sealant Compatible Tire version of the Nevegal - but I don't know when it hits the market. That said.....

I have ridden mt Nevegal UST DTC's with Stan's sealant for years and never had an issue. I've worn out several sets of Nev's and one set of non-UST Small Block 8's with Stan's sealant -- they seal up just fine, never had a bubble, never delaminated.

However -- I recently bought a 650B rig and the Nevegals on it aren't UST. The casings are very thin, and while they haven't delam'd or bubbled either, they will not seal. I've had several punctures, including one dead-center through a knob, and my Stan's basically pisses out. I have about 8 patches on the inside of the tire while I wait for some new Hans Dampfs on order.

Since I love the Nev's and hate spending $180 on tires, out of frustration the other day I sent a note to Kenda via their website, and received the news at the beginning of this post from Erik at Kenda...he offered to take a warranty claim for my Nev 650B's, so I'll go through that process and see what happens.

mtbr member
    They actually do make a sealant compatible tire (SCT) now. A friend actually just got one a few weeks ago and has been riding it tubless on his Havens. Be sure to check that they are listed as "SCT", because there are a lot of old stock non-sealant compatible Kendas out there.

Kenda Nevegal DTC SCT Folding Tire > Components | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    They actually do make a sealant compatible tire (SCT) now. A friend actually just got one a few weeks ago and has been riding it tubless on his Havens. Be sure to check that they are listed as "SCT", because there are a lot of old stock non-sealant compatible Kendas out there.

Kenda Nevegal DTC SCT Folding Tire > Components | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Ah, so they do.

I am a new arrival to the small world of 650B, and as yet Nevegal SCT's don't exist in this world, at least not for sale...but apparently Kenda is working hard to bring some 650B SCT tires to market.

mtbr member
    Just flat out honesty... kenda doesnt make very good tires. yes, theres lots of nevegal fans, but mostly because they havent tried comparable and better tires on the market. I loved my nevs, until I tried better tires. I dont know if Id run a nevegal for free these days, they're just so ridiculous slow and other tires on the market DO grip better.

I know its bad form to say "well just spend more money!".. but I spent 12 bucks on a IRC mibro 2.25 to replace a nev, and holy crap.. i have twice the energy left at the end of the ride. Sure some grip is missing, but thats incomparable to the speed difference. I got a motoraptor later, and its both faster and gripper. Then I tried other tires and they're even faster, and even gripper.

Just call it quits on kenda.

Workin for the weekend!
    Specialized Ground Control... FTW!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Just flat out honesty... kenda doesnt make very good tires. yes, theres lots of nevegal fans, but mostly because they havent tried comparable and better tires on the market. I loved my nevs, until I tried better tires. I dont know if Id run a nevegal for free these days, they're just so ridiculous slow and other tires on the market DO grip better.

I know its bad form to say "well just spend more money!".. but I spent 12 bucks on a IRC mibro 2.25 to replace a nev, and holy crap.. i have twice the energy left at the end of the ride. Sure some grip is missing, but thats incomparable to the speed difference. I got a motoraptor later, and its both faster and gripper. Then I tried other tires and they're even faster, and even gripper.

Just call it quits on kenda.
    With the exception of my stated puncture issues with non-UST/SCT versions being run tubeless, they've worked great for me in NM, CO, and SoCal on a variety of trails from wet/rocky/rooty to sandy desert to rocky/moondust, and even in FL sand-over-limestone with some Small Block Eight's run tubeless - the latter hooked up unbelievably well.

They're a fraction of the price of Hans Dampf's, Nobby Nics, Ardents or High Roller II's and have much longer tread life and way better grip than the Specialized Pro's I ran previously. I'm not a racer, so I don't notice any difference in speed between what were supposed to be race tires and the Nev's - I ride ups and flats at a medium pace no matter what. So they work great for me.

That said, I'll have a Hans Dampf TLR Pacestar to compare them to before the end of the week, because I can't wait for the warranty replacement Nev's. If Kenda sends me some 650B SCT Nev's, I'll swap them out and do a comparo to the HD's, but if they're the standard non-SCT's I'll probably send them back.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    One Pivot, it sounds like you are just getting in better shape! Haha. J/k, I think Kenda already blew it. They blew it! Everyone is using tubeless setups, and they blew it. Too bad for them. I wish them good luck trying to muscle their way back into the market when their website said that they do not warranty tires using sealant through 2012. Kenda could get huge market share with 29er line of Nevegals at 2.3 and 2.4 Tubeless ready. That's what we would buy at around 700 grams. They will end up being the Farmer John tire of the 2000's.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    just don't use Stan's sealant and you are fine.. Caffe Latex work fine with Kenda tires.. been doing it for years and never had an issue.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    just don't use Stan's sealant and you are fine.. Caffe Latex work fine with Kenda tires.. been doing it for years and never had an issue.
    I used Stan's with my 26er UST Nevegals for years and never had an issue. Seems to me like it's a lot issue with where they were sourcing their rubber over the years.

And anyway, they're honoring my warranty claim even though I used sealant on the non-UST 650B's that keep flatting because they're too dainty.

All Kenda has to do is offer SCT versions in all sizes and undercut Schwalbe, Maxxis, and Conti on price by a little less than they do now, and they'll remain a market leader. I'm not a sponsored rider or independently wealthy, so I don't want to spend $180 on new tires every 18 months or when I have a bad day and I shred them beyond sealant's capabilities. I'm guessing my fellow average weekend warriors don't want to either.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
    I used Stan's with my 26er UST Nevegals for years and never had an issue. Seems to me like it's a lot issue with where they were sourcing their rubber over the years.

And anyway, they're honoring my warranty claim even though I used sealant on the non-UST 650B's that keep flatting because they're too dainty.

All Kenda has to do is offer SCT versions in all sizes and undercut Schwalbe, Maxxis, and Conti on price by a little less than they do now, and they'll remain a market leader. I'm not a sponsored rider or independently wealthy, so I don't want to spend $180 on new tires every 18 months or when I have a bad day and I shred them beyond sealant's capabilities. I'm guessing my fellow average weekend warriors don't want to either.
    it's the non UST that keep bubbling, delaminating mostly...thou I've heard of the UST doing it a few yrs back

Glad they are Warr-ing your tires..

I agree with your marketing scheme.. I like most Kenda tires in general, but can usually find lighter-stronger or cheaper tire... Schalbe's are WAY over priced and last about as long as a tootsie pop.
    Conti's were my old price- performance fav but the side walls tear up WAY to easy, long before I wear the tread out. At least since the changes the old Mtn King
    Just installed a Vee Rubber Mission and I REALLY like it so far but only have a few short rides on it soo... more testing needed
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Do the SCT tires have a UST bead?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Kenda UST+ sealant ... delamination question

Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    Do the SCT tires have a UST bead?
    No.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common