mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Listen! Kenda Telonix DTC 2.4s Installed... PICS Inside

I finall got around to installing the Kenda Telonix 2.4s on my 2010 CannonDale F4 this morning after I got home. They went on easy, everything was good except for the tube's. I called my LBS and asked if I needed to buy a wider tube (compared to the standard mtb tube of 2.125) and they said to run the ones I already had, that it would be fine. Not to sure about this and I'm almost positive MTB action mag had an article about this a few month's back. I think I will try them out this week, but if I see any problems, I will definately have to do something different. I was also kinda frustrated with the fact that they didn't appear to be any wider than my factory 2.1 nevegal's, but after riding the bike and seeing them from the saddle, there's a noticeable difference... Enough yappin', here are to extremely high quality pics from my phone. You don't have to thank me...

$40 for the pair wasn't to bad. I'm running 32psi in the front and rear. They call for 30-50 psi but even @ 32, they seem really stiff. I thiink I must have been running about 18 or 20 psi in my nevegals. Who knows?

No good in rock gardens..
    How's the clearance on the rear of the bike?

Any thoughts on rolling resistance?
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Run the pressure like you do on the Nevs and don't worry about using a smaller tube. Won't hurt a thing.

Take a tube by itself and attach it to your pump. Pump it up a ways. It will get several times bigger than it ever will on the inside of your tire.

I've been using my remaining 26" tubes on my 29er too.

The Telonix is a grip monster and rolls decent for such a beast. Very confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Run the pressure like you do on the Nevs and don't worry about using a smaller tube. Won't hurt a thing.
    Yeah, they'll work fine. Just be aware that with the tube stretched thin like that you'll be more likely to pinch flat. I like regular weight 2.4-2.7" tubes in my bigger tires but have had no real problem with 2.1-2.25 tubes in tires up to 2.4".

Tire looks good. Should hook up well rocky to loose over hardpack stuff. I like the looks of that treat pattern better than the Excavator. The knobs are too closely spaced on the Ex. Let us know what you think when you have a few miles on them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Listen!

The clearance is good to go on the rear, but more so on the front. I think the 2.4 is as wide as I could go without getting a new wheel set (Mountain style unicycle wheels maybe?) because the 2.4s seemed to be pushing the limit on width for my narrow wheels. I'm positive I could run a 2.6 in the front and leave the 2.4 in the rear. I am only riding a hardtail so it's not exactly a DH rig. I plan on hitting Clemson Freeride in upstate SC again this week try again to find the beginning of the DH trail; a completely different thread ) and I'll post up after that and give some feedback. As far as rolling resistance, there seems to be some, but not enough to complain about.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Is the rubber compound that soft? Looking at the 2nd. foto with your fork, it appears like some o the knobs are chunking with pieces missing...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    Is the rubber compound that soft? Looking at the 2nd. foto with your fork, it appears like some o the knobs are chunking with pieces missing...
    I have been running one since January. I didn't see anything like that happenning until July when I spent a month riding in Big Bear (think lots of rocks and chunk day after day). Not a lot and didn't look like it left the tire vulnerable, but I did see a few chunks of rubber missing after that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    No, rubber isn't missing. Thats actually is from the tire having that white powdery stuff from the manufacturing process (Maybe? ) and me riding them down the driveway and back. The rubber does seem a little softer than the factory nevegals but not so soft that chunks will start missing, unless you're riding in rock gardens, then what tire will hold up to that...

mtbr member
    Has anyone measured the 2.4's, installed?
    Wondering whether they'll fit a Trance X.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirus
    Has anyone measured the 2.4's, installed?
    Wondering whether they'll fit a Trance X.
    Don't know about the Trance, but I ran mine on a Reign. The only tire I had issues with were the 2.4" Panaracer Fire FR. The side knobs would tick the chain when in 1st gear and on the smallest chainring. No probs with the Telonix. If you're not a good size clyde, you could probably be quite happy with the 2.2" version on a Trance X. I know two 'barely clydes' that run the 2.2" version (one on an Ibis Mojo and the other on a Chumba XCL) and love 'em.

mtbr member
    Received my 2.4 today. Got only one for now, for the front wheel, as I wasn't sure about the rear triangle clearance. Turns out that the Telonix 2.4 isn't that big. Being new, installed on a ZTR Flow with a tube and pumped up to 35 psi, it measures 57 mm wide by casing and 61 mm wide by the widest knobs.
    Speaking of volume, Telonix 2.4 is a little bit smaller than Rubber Queen 2.2 (and I guess it will stretch a little over time, so they'll be almost the same volume), but has a wider tread. Pretty much what I actually wanted to try on the snow.

Made a few pics. No width measurement pics, sorry. Need to get a digital caliper .

Weight

Trance X clearance for Telonix 2.4 (new on ZTR Flow, tube, 35 psi)

Trance X clearance for Rubber Queen 2.2 (used on ZTR Flow, tubeless, 35 psi)