mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Kenda Small Block8 or Nevegal?

I've read the reviews on both tires and am leaning towards the small block. I'm currently running Specialized Fast Trak LK 2.0(came stock). I'm looking for more grip. Mainly riding hardpack but some lose rock and semi wet conditions as well. Once a week or so I try to get in a 7-14(depending on if I ride the loop twice) mile road ride in a Natl. park. So, in all, 1 trail ride and 1 road ride/week.Which tire will have the best life span based on my riding?

mtbr member

For life span

For life span on a road & dirt combination, I would say the small block 8s. Or maybe you should try; small block in the back and Nevegal in the front, thatís the combination I use. Get the best of both worlds!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    f you like road riding more than trails, use the 8s but your trail riding will suffer on descents. (You will have rear tire loss of traction)

Stick-E Nevegals on trails are great, but on roads they stick like glue and wear fast

Or compromise with Nevegal Dual Compound Tread (TDC) tires, which work well in both situations

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    SB8 for the rear and then alternate Nevegal and SB8 for the front depending on conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run a SB8 in the rear couldn't imagine one up front, seems like it would wash out easily.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the advice. SB8 rear and Nevegal up front seems to be the consensus.

PB(or anyone that can answer)- What is the difference between the Stick-E and DTC Nevegal? Were you suggesting that the DTC would be suitable for trail/road as it relates to performance and wear?

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Stick-E Nevegals have the same rubber compound through out the width of the tire. It is a durometer 50. The lower the number the softer the rubber, BTW. The DTC tires have a rubber compound that is a durometer of 60 on the center of the tread. 60 is slightly harder and lasts much longer than 50. DTC shoulder tread are 50 durometer to stick to the trail during turns. Of course you have a compromise with the DTC tires as on wet roots, they slip easier than the Stick-E tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the response- great explanation! So, in your opinion, would I be better off with the DTC's front and back or a SB8 rear and DTC front?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    SB8's on my bike front and rear never washed out the front, grip is awsome in pretty much all conditions, only when its really muddy do they let me down, I'm really suprised how good they have been, even fine in snow , I have them on my 07 Heckler,
    I have DTC Nevegal, and sticke, don't consider them to be as good as SB8, Kenda blue groove is also an excellent tire great on the front. DTC not very grippy on wet rock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I run SB8s fall/winter/spring when I'm riding urban and hardpack - they corner like nothing else! SB8 is good up front, just not in loose/muddy conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What size? I currently have the Nevegal DTC 2.1 in front, and I just got the SB8 2.1 in back. Since I switched to the Nevegal, I swear I've become a better rider. the SB8 looks so skinny, but I got it tol make me faster on the climbs. I ride XC 50/50 singletrack and fire road in dry and dusty SoCal. I'm going to run them both at 35psi and I weigh 190lbs without gear.

What are the pros and cons of using the 2.35 for both? I'm assuming better traction, but more rolling resistance and rotational weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdan
    What are the pros and cons of using the 2.35 for both? I'm assuming better traction, but more rolling resistance and rotational weight?
    Yes and yes but with the added volume it adds some cushion to your ride.