29er for life!!

New question here. Kenda small block eight tires

will these tires not do good in wet conditions??I mean im not going to ride in the rain or anything.I ride alot early in the morns so the dew you know will have the ground somewhat wet so will these be ok??Thanks!!

Mountain Man Dan
    Probably not. Those are pretty much hard pack terrain only.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

I4NI
    NO, they dont like the wet. Just like a Cat!
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMt.Biker
    will these tires not do good in wet conditions??I mean im not going to ride in the rain or anything.I ride alot early in the morns so the dew you know will have the ground somewhat wet so will these be ok??Thanks!!
    How do I say this without sounding like I am describing poo.....?

Damp and gritty, they are OK (barely). Damp and greasy, horrible.

Depending on the consistency of your dirt when it gets wet, SB8s could be anything from an inconvenience to a disaster... look at the tread, they do exactly what you'd expect. Imagine hiking on your trails in tennis sneakers compared to hiking boots.

I spent a summer on mine on the hardtail and they taught me a lot about how hard I could push a low-tread tire... now that things are cooling off and lots of the trails tend to stay a little more damp, they are getting on my nerves. In the right conditions they can be great and they are fast, but they are definitely not what I would consider versatile.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm in NC too & about to change my SB-8's for the winter. Was going to go with the Nevegals but concerned that they roll horrible & be ultra slow. I "may" have decided on Maxxis Crossmarks instead. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As a rear tire, they work way better than they should in damp conditions, unless it's greasy or you're a pedal masher or rear brake locker. I would definitely not run one as a front tire in damp conditions.

The biggest problem I have with the Crossmark (and Maxxis tires in general), is that the rubber is too hard for wet conditions (60 or 70 durometer). Their sticky compound DH tires (40 and 42 duro) are too soft and wear out quickly. If they offered a sticky compound similar to Kenda's 50 duro, they'd be so much better.