mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Kenda small block 8s+ stans= winning!!!

So I'll admit, I'm a bit of a tire snob. Usually won't spend less than 70 bucks per tire and have bought a lot of Hutchison and schwalbe tires in the past with great results tubeless. I decided to upgrade my wheelset with a set of stans crests with lighter rubber and ordered some sb8's to go on them as they are popular on the trails in my area.

They were labelled as "sealant ready" so I expected some trouble setting them up, to my surprise they went on with minimal hand effort, I started pumping them to see if they would hold air, at about 20 psi I heard a small pop-pop (much less than the 50psi I've had in the past with a sharp crack that makes me fear for my life when it seats) and they were seated, I pumped them to 40 psi and they were holding air this morning so I took them for a short ride and they were good to go!!!

Such an easy install, I'll pull the valve stems and add sealant later, but the setup could not have been easier!!!

I'm sold on these guys as far as setup goes, a few rides will determine how I like them for handling, but they are already a combined 400 grams lighter than my snakeskin HANS DAMPFS they replaced, and the crests with ti hubs are about 450 grams less then the flows they replaced.

This might not be news to SB8 users but I'm a Happy man over here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by mjduct View Post
    So I'll admit, I'm a bit of a tire snob. Usually won't spend less than 70 bucks per tire and have bought a lot of Hutchison and schwalbe tires in the past with great results tubeless. I decided to upgrade my wheelset with a set of stans crests with lighter rubber and ordered some sb8's to go on them as they are popular on the trails in my area.

They were labelled as "sealant ready" so I expected some trouble setting them up, to my surprise they went on with minimal hand effort, I started pumping them to see if they would hold air, at about 20 psi I heard a small pop-pop (much less than the 50psi I've had in the past with a sharp crack that makes me fear for my life when it seats) and they were seated, I pumped them to 40 psi and they were holding air this morning so I took them for a short ride and they were good to go!!!

Such an easy install, I'll pull the valve stems and add sealant later, but the setup could not have been easier!!!

I'm sold on these guys as far as setup goes, a few rides will determine how I like them for handling, but they are already a combined 400 grams lighter than my snakeskin HANS DAMPFS they replaced, and the crests with ti hubs are about 450 grams less then the flows they replaced.

This might not be news to SB8 users but I'm a Happy man over here!

Yes, they are all a lot lighter......but have you ridden them yet. You say you installed them front and rear?

Compared to the HD that you were running, traction may be an eye opener on your first ride.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I did ride them A touch definitely not a full test, I never could corner better due the the rounder profile where the HD's were more square even on the wide rims.

I realize it's all a trade off, but I've had a few nightmare tubeless setups on friends OEM rims we tried to convert, but the setup on these was so simple I waned to share.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I run this setup for my lightweight, hardpack XC setup, otherwise I want something higher volume with more grip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

They're ok unless you need traction.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    They're ok unless you need traction.
    Actually, I like the SB8 on the back....even on the SS.

I have run them in the past F & R...but that was when they first came out, so tire selection was a little limited anyway. They are fast, and on hardpack will corner pretty well. However, once it gets loose, then you are on your own.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Actually, I like the SB8 on the back....even on the SS.

I have run them in the past F & R...but that was when they first came out, so tire selection was a little limited anyway. They are fast, and on hardpack will corner pretty well. However, once it gets loose, then you are on your own.
    I used one on the back of my SS too for a couple of years and with the right pressure and technique it worked pretty well. But there are better choices.