Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Kenda Slant Six, Have you tested them?

I just bought a pair of slant six tires online. I was wondering if someone had used them in sandy, and hard soil? How's the grip, handeling?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Lot's of reviews out there, use the search

mtbr member
    Rode them all last season in CO. Wicked! My favorite rear tire so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've heard good things about them. Lots of positive reviews.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think I am going to put one on the rear to counter my slow rolling Nevegal. I love the cornering and front end grip of the Nevegal but hate the high rolling resistance.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul.C View Post
    I think I am going to put one on the rear to counter my slow rolling Nevegal. I love the cornering and front end grip of the Nevegal but hate the high rolling resistance.
    I've read that a bunch of people use slant six on the back and nevegals on the front. Too bad my tires have shippe already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I use one on the back with a nevegal on the front on one bike. And at both ends on another. Tubeless 28psi rear 25psi front. Great tires
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I use one on the back with a nevegal on the front on one bike. And at both ends on another. Tubeless 28psi rear 25psi front. Great tires
    How did your kenda set up tubeless? Any tricks or is it pretty strait forward? I am planning on running a slant six and a SB8 and I want to set them up tubeless but kenda says no. I am using a brand new crank brothers wheel set so no need for a rim strip. Just wondering how many people are having luck running kenda tubeless.

mtbr member
    I bought a crankbrothers wheelset with kenda tires and shop says they will work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb4146 View Post
    How did your kenda set up tubeless? Any tricks or is it pretty strait forward? I am planning on running a slant six and a SB8 and I want to set them up tubeless but kenda says no. I am using a brand new crank brothers wheel set so no need for a rim strip. Just wondering how many people are having luck running kenda tubeless.
    I have the same setup... Nev up front and a Slant Six on the back. Both tubeless. Are you asking about the UST versions or the SCT version of the Slant Six? The UST is a true tubeless tire that's heavier than the other versions. The SCT is Kenda's tubeless ready version AND is "permitted" by Kenda to allow sealant (Sealant Compatible Tire). I've been running UST versions of the Nevegal with Stans sealant for over a year now (even though Kenda says the warranty will be voided). No problems whatsoever. I just setup the Slant Six UST the same way. Only had the S6 for a little over a week riding primarily on gravel paved trails (conditioning rides). At ~45 psi, they're doing just fine and initial reports is that they role faster than the Nevegal I had on the back. Still, the tire is so new that I can't give an accurate review of how they compare to having a Nevegal in the rear. I can tell you that the UST S6 mounted to my Bonty TLR rims pretty smooth. Needed about 55 psi with a compressor to get the bead to pop but I was expecting that from mounting the Nev's. Pressure wise, they've been holding strong not leaking anything. Again, I'm using the UST version which better not have any leaks to begin with!

I should also mention that Kenda now has an SCT version of the SB8. I'm assuming you're going for speed and weight may matter to you. If that's the case, go with the SCT versions of both and juice away.

mtbr member
    I ran the non UST slant six tubeless on the rear all last season. 28psi, n o problem at all, sealed up like a dream. I live and ride in the Colorado Rockies. 2 endurance races and countless training miles on them and not ever the slightest hickup. I am running them on DT 4.1 rims with Stan's yellow tape and Stan's sealant . Best setup I've ever run. The shape of the tread works like a mini paddle in sandy conditions and has really low rolling resistance. Will probably get another one when this one is done. Won't be long now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Dont own any UST Kendas but also run them tubeless. I figure Ill wear em out before I degradation probs.

mtbr member
    Hows the side walls? I seem to be hard on side walls. Alsp hows the volumn are they true to size?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I dont run very much in the rocks, so I cant weigh in on that one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Meh. I tried them and had high hopes because I love the Nevegal but not the slowness. I was not that impressed. It is a great tire for hardpack and the like, but here in south Florida with the sugar sand forget it. They felt twitchy to me because of such a round profile and until it layed over and caught the side knobs it wouldn't grip. If I was not in Fl I could see it being a great tire, but I am back to Ignitors.

mtbr member
    These tires arent good in sandy soil?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by firebike7 View Post
    Meh. I tried them and had high hopes because I love the Nevegal but not the slowness. I was not that impressed. It is a great tire for hardpack and the like, but here in south Florida with the sugar sand forget it. They felt twitchy to me because of such a round profile and until it layed over and caught the side knobs it wouldn't grip. If I was not in Fl I could see it being a great tire, but I am back to Ignitors.
    What pressures are you running? Im up on the cape in Mass and have lots of sand. Seem to track great,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    What pressures are you running? Im up on the cape in Mass and have lots of sand. Seem to track great,
    Are you using them for both front and rear?
    I've been reading a lot about tires since I want to replace mine.
    Lots of comments, good and bad, but dont know if they are from people that ride in sandy conditions.

I'm looking at different tires right now.
    Slant Six
    Nevegals
    Velociraptors
    Ignitors

Cant decide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have them front and rear on my Superfly.Was running just on the rear with a Nevegal up front in the snow. The Slant 6 packed up real fast and became a rolling snowball. I have tone on the front of my SS 29er. I ride a lot of sandy single track incl soft sand toward the beach and they do just fine. Once the front pressure is around 30 they start to act less stable. I run Nevegals front and rear on 2 other bikes. Definately a slower tire but grippy as hell
    PS All the 29ers are the 29x2.2

mtbr member
    I currently have Schwalbe nobby nic, they came with the bike. I've read some good things about these. Should I keep these or mix the slant six on the rear with nobby on the front?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Keep playing with the pressures and see if you can get the feel you're looking for. If you cant get the NN to do what you want or its worn. I have no problem recommending the Slant6

mtbr member
    I'll use the slant six when I get them to see how they compare to the nobbys. I like my current tire the slant came with the wheels i bought.

mtbr member
    Wow, tires are great even in front and rear setup. I rode yesterday a trail near the beach, the terrain varies from hard packed to loose over hard to super loose sand (usually when dry) with rocks here and there. I used to ride with nobby nics which is a great all around tire, but these kendas grip really nice to anything in their way. Im running them tubeless and I love the feeling of this tire, still need to work on my confidence over sand but thats another story. They corner great, roll fast, they are not the lightest tires but I dont really mind that. If you are planning to get these I sure recommend them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevingp View Post
    Wow, tires are great even in front and rear setup. I rode yesterday a trail near the beach, the terrain varies from hard packed to loose over hard to super loose sand (usually when dry) with rocks here and there. I used to ride with nobby nics which is a great all around tire, but these kendas grip really nice to anything in their way. Im running them tubeless and I love the feeling of this tire, still need to work on my confidence over sand but thats another story. They corner great, roll fast, they are not the lightest tires but I dont really mind that. If you are planning to get these I sure recommend them.

I run them front and rear also. They corner real well even in sand, but they amaze me how fast they roll. I switched to them from Small Block 8's and haven't looked back.

They don't work so well when the trail is wet, but they're still not horrible.

Setting them up tubeless was a breeze too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast