Dirt Slinger

Kenda Nevegal tubeless

Hello,
    was wondering if the Kenda Nevegal can be tubeless. Never had any experience with tubeless tires so can anybody give me a rundown of how to do it? Thanks in advance!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincon98 View Post
    Hello,
    was wondering if the Kenda Nevegal can be tubeless. Never had any experience with tubeless tires so can anybody give me a rundown of how to do it? Thanks in advance!
    yup.. you can get them UST.. I loved them as a "do it all" tire. they worked for bouncing around doing all kinds of riding.. not the best at any one type. Hated them 29er... no clue why but they just seemed too heavy without the same grip as the 26 version... probably in my head more than anything
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

It ain't easy being Green
    Nope, it's not just you. Nevegal rocks in 26" but is just "meh" in 29er; I think that the Geax Saguaro is the equivalent do-it-all tire for 29er, I run those on my trail bike.

My first tubeless experience was running 26" regular (not UST) Nevegals on Spinergy rims converted to tubeless with a Stans strip; worked like a charm and I never looked back.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I ran the Neggy 2.35 UST for a while. Yeah, the grip was great, but rolled slow and was a freakin boat anchor. 1090 gr for a 26 x 2.35.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I ran the Neggy 2.35 UST for a while. Yeah, the grip was great, but rolled slow and was a freakin boat anchor. 1090 gr for a 26 x 2.35.
    The SCT (Seal Compatible Tire) version is lighter than the UST version. I have UST Nevs as well and they are a heavy tire. Really trying to wear them out quick to move over to the SCT versions.

Keep on Rockin...
    Absolutely.

If you are using a non-UST bead interface, like Stan's, go with the old fashioned Nevs. I've been running them for years on Stan's rims with zero problems. Actually, they are still my favorite 29er front tire. The rear does roll slow, but that is trail dependent....

Get this, the other day, riding with a friend, down a dirt road decline, coasting, he had a tubed Spec Fast Track, and I had a 2.2 29er Nev up front, and a 2.3 650b out back, both tubeless on Stans rims. Just coasting I pulled away from him by quite a bit. I was shocked. Maybe he hit the brakes, but I think it very unlikely.

Even tubeless, with the non-tubed flavor you can run them at wicked low psi compared to other tires set up tubeless. I think the rubber casing is stiffer than most tires and the bead interface with Stans is great.

They are cheap too. And BTW, I run mine on Stan's Flows and Flow Exs.

I'm with stupid
    I ran them tubeless for a bit and it worked just fine. I did have a bear of a time getting the side walls to seal up all the way though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have Nevegals (29x2.2) on my Monocog tubeless. Stock monocog Alex or something rims. Stans kit. Works just fine. In fact, when it comes time to change them out from being worn down, it will be a pain. They are practically glued to the rim.

It did take a lot of rim tape to go underneath the Stans rim liner, though. That's more to do with the rim, not the tire.

mtbr member
    I used non tubeless Nevegal DTC 26" with stans liquid. Worked great.

Who is John Galt?
    I'm running UST Nevegals on both of my Yetis, a 575 and an ARC. The 575 has Mavic Crosstrail wheels and the ARC XTRs. Both sealed up easily with a floor pump. Since I switched 2 years ago I haven't had a single flat. My only bad experience was a 1/8th inch puncture that sprayed CaffeeLatex all over my bike. It took a long time for it to seal but once it did I was able to ride on the tire and it always got me home. Even took it to Pueblo for some tough rocky desert riding. I had to add air every morning but it stayed up on the trail and the plug never came out. I do burp the tires occasionally, as evidenced by some sealant on the wheels. But it doesn't lose enough pressure to be an issue with the ride. Can't imagine a better tire at sealing, at least IMHO.
    What, me hurry?

Dirt Slinger
    Does anyone know if my stock 2010 yukon FXes rims work for tubeless tires?