mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Kenda Nevegal Question

Are these like the hardest tires to get on and off the rim or what? My hand was about to bleed by the time I got this tire on. These are the Sticky vesion if that makes a diffrence

AZ
    banned
    Are you making sure that the tire goes into the drop section in the rim as you put it on ? I mount mine on Mavic tubeless rims without tire irons , just have to make sure the tire bead goes into the drop section of the rim .

At Work
    they are the easiest I have installed. May depend on rims.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikethebluegrass
    Are these like the hardest tires to get on and off the rim or what? My hand was about to bleed by the time I got this tire on. These are the Sticky vesion if that makes a diffrence
    Never had a problem
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    What rims are you trying to them on? I have never had an issue at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I found them super easy, are yours wire bead or folding?

Ride the dream
    I found them crazily easy (along with every other folding bead kenda I've ever used)...

Now UST hutchies... those are *****es

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Are you making sure that the tire goes into the drop section in the rim as you put it on ? I mount mine on Mavic tubeless rims without tire irons , just have to make sure the tire bead goes into the drop section of the rim .
    just finished installing a pair of 2.35 nevegals on a set of azonic outlaws..did exactly like stated ..no probs
    Respect the Aina....Aloha

addicted to chunk
    No issues with the nevegal's either.

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishT
    Now UST hutchies... those are *****es
    Hutchies are brutal. I really like their tires, but had to switch. Just too hard to mount.

Riding or Drumming
    If it's hard, you're not using the right technique. As other have mentioned, you must squeeze the beads together on the opposite side of the rim and push the beads into the 'dish' of the rim. All is easy from that point on.
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    No issues here.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Are they wire bead dh tires? I can mount a folding nevegal in about 20 seconds with my bare hands on all my rims (I must be really strong)

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    Are they wire bead dh tires? I can mount a folding nevegal in about 20 seconds with my bare hands on all my rims (I must be really strong)
    While new too (ie: before bead stretches a bit and becomes easier to mount)...
    You're not alone on this point

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am mounting them on a rhino lite wheel. I have used 3-4 other differnet tires and I have never had this problem. I will pay more attention to the dish. I have never had to do that with any other tire. They are so hard to install that I am at the point of breaking a quickstik. Regular tire levers would not do this job.

Thank you all for the advice and help!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've found Kendas to be very easy to mount with thumbs only. HOWEVER, I did come across one Kenda Nevegal Lite tire (1.95) that was an absolute ***** to get on/off. It was almost like the circumference of the tire was too small. It had to have been a defective tire as no other Kendas have given me any mounting issues. In the past, Kenda quality control seemed to be suspect as I've purchased tires with misaligned beads, major side to side wobbles and noticeable to the eye up and down hops. Recent purchases have been good, though.

Quote Originally Posted by funkydrum
    If it's hard, you're not using the right technique. As other have mentioned, you must squeeze the beads together on the opposite side of the rim and push the beads into the 'dish' of the rim. All is easy from that point on.
    Yup. Hutchinson had a UST tire changing contest at interbike a few years ago. The top 20 or so contestants were able to mount the tire on a Mavic wheel (no tools) and inflate to 40psi (with a floor pump) in under 45 seconds.

For the finials you completely removed the inflated tire, remounted and inflated. Most times were under 2 minutes.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by bikethebluegrass
    I am mounting them on a rhino lite wheel. I have used 3-4 other differnet tires and I have never had this problem. I will pay more attention to the dish. I have never had to do that with any other tire. They are so hard to install that I am at the point of breaking a quickstik. Regular tire levers would not do this job.

Thank you all for the advice and help!
    Rhyno Lites are infamously tough for mounting/removing tires. Be sure you are using a very thin rim strip (Velox is the worst!). Still should not need tools, though if you do not get the tire bead to the middle of the rim it just makes using the levers even harder.
    mtbtires.com