Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    hands up who wants to die
    Reputation: rpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,376

    Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 DTC vs. Stick-E

    Oops: I put Blue Groove in the title, but I'm really more interested in info on the Nevegal, run as a rear tire. thx
    ------------------

    Has anyone had much time on the 2.35 DTC Neve? I am interested in comparisons against the Stick-E rubber version in the area of grip/performance and durability.

    I love my Neve, but it's dying quickly, as I have to do pavement miles to & from the trailhead.
    I would like a little more durability, and I was about to switch to a 2.35 Minion 60a until I heard that the 2.35 DTC Nevegal was available.

    Are the outer knobs on the DTC the same compound as Stick-E?

    thx
    -rob in NY
    Last edited by rpet; 04-21-2005 at 09:39 AM. Reason: mistake

  2. #2
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by rpet
    Oops: I put Blue Groove in the title, but I'm really more interested in info on the Nevegal, run as a rear tire. thx
    ------------------

    Has anyone had much time on the 2.35 DTC Neve? I am interested in comparisons against the Stick-E rubber version in the area of grip/performance and durability.

    I love my Neve, but it's dying quickly, as I have a to do pavement miles to & from the trailhead.
    I would like a little more durability, and I was about to switch to a 2.35 Minion 60a until I heard that the 2.35 DTC Nevegal was available.

    Are the outer knobs on the DTC the same compound as Stick-E?

    thx
    -rob in NY
    Yeah, outer knobs are Stick-E for cornering, center knobs are DTC for longer wear. Straight-line traction isn't as good, but they should last considerably longer. If you're doing some pavement miles then I think you'd be better off going with the new DTC.
    Thanks
    Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

  3. #3
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,365
    I took my Neve stick-e off the rear because I'm not that impressed with the way the ramped knobs hook up under drive-power. I understand the benefits from reduced rolling resistance, but I find they provide noticeably reduced traction under heavy pedal effort in certain conditions. For example, they are simply terrible on snow, and there are times when they spin where a non-ramped tire would not. I have a set of stick-e Kinetic 2.6s and they do better in back, but they are pretty slow tires. I simply went back to standard rubber in the back.

    I do miss the gooey, damped feel though.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  4. #4
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I took my Neve stick-e off the rear because I'm not that impressed with the way the ramped knobs hook up under drive-power. I understand the benefits from reduced rolling resistance, but I find they provide noticeably reduced traction under heavy pedal effort in certain conditions. For example, they are simply terrible on snow, and there are times when they spin where a non-ramped tire would not. I have a set of stick-e Kinetic 2.6s and they do better in back, but they are pretty slow tires. I simply went back to standard rubber in the back.

    I do miss the gooey, damped feel though.
    This is surprising to me. I just switched to a Nevegal StickE in the rear and I was really impressed with the traction under power I got. I was riding rocky, dry terrain though so it may be as simple as two very different terrains.

    For me, I found it stuck like glue and I made a couple really rocky climbs that I had previously not been able to make due to spinning out. My old tire was a Schwalbe Jimmy 2.1, which is a decent rear tire but doesn't have very good traction when do climbing in loose conditions.

  5. #5
    Sublime Absurdity
    Reputation: sodade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    This is surprising to me. I just switched to a Nevegal StickE in the rear and I was really impressed with the traction under power I got. I was riding rocky, dry terrain though so it may be as simple as two very different terrains.

    For me, I found it stuck like glue and I made a couple really rocky climbs that I had previously not been able to make due to spinning out. My old tire was a Schwalbe Jimmy 2.1, which is a decent rear tire but doesn't have very good traction when do climbing in loose conditions.
    I had the same experience as you, but now that I am on the 10th ride with it - it sucks bad!! It wears out way too quickly! Going back to my Weirwolf (reversed in the rear) which hook up almost was well and have minimal wear after 30+ rides...

    I might try out the DTC, but the Nevegals are full price everywhere and too damn spendy to justify another test...
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

  6. #6
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    I had the same experience as you, but now that I am on the 10th ride with it - it sucks bad!! It wears out way too quickly! Going back to my Weirwolf (reversed in the rear) which hook up almost was well and have minimal wear after 30+ rides...

    I might try out the DTC, but the Nevegals are full price everywhere and too damn spendy to justify another test...
    I have heard they wear quickly. 10 rides is certainly not enough life for a tire in my opinion. I've just done one 15 mile ride with mine, so jury is still out on how much life I get out of them. I'm hoping for a couple months.

    I did get the Nevegal at a good price though, check with Larry at MHC he has great prices on the Kenda tires. Also the dual tread should be out shortly, which I will probably go to when it hits the retail channels.

  7. #7
    hands up who wants to die
    Reputation: rpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,376
    Larry's a great dealer! also Universalcycles and Aebike.com have good prices on the Kendas.

    -r

Similar Threads

  1. Blue Groove Lites vs. Karma DTC
    By dirtysprocket in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 10:00 PM
  2. Kenda Blue Groove & Nevegal
    By CrashTheDOG in forum Turner
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 08:20 AM
  3. Nevegal 2.35 v. Blue Groove 2.35 - front or rear?
    By Earthpig in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 06:47 AM
  4. Kenda Blue Groove 2.3 vs Cortez 2.4
    By steelbike in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 10:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •