dead weight
    Dec 2003

Kenda Blue Groove 2.0 Dtc Knobs Tear Off

After about 3 months of moderate use, this is what my front tire looks like.

Right side.

Left side.

I ride rocky trails occasionally, but this is the worst durability in side knobs I've ever seen. Does anyone else have a problem with knobs tearing off easily?

Jack

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC
    After about 3 months of moderate use, this is what my front tire looks like.

Right side.

Left side.

I ride rocky trails occasionally, but this is the worst durability in side knobs I've ever seen. Does anyone else have a problem with knobs tearing off easily?

Jack
    It just happens sometimes and if you follow this forum and read the reviews on this site, you'll see a few makers have had waves of models with this problem. I had a wave of tires from one well known company that failed this way including one that looked worse than your photos, and I still run 4 tires from that maker that are fine.

I do wonder if softer tires are more prone to this and small cuts. I say wonder because I have done no study, but just look at what I own and read on web and in print.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

what a coincidence

The same thing is happening to me. I'm running the 2.3 Blue Groove Stick-e, and I just recently lost about 8 lugs off the rear tire that was on the front. Its been maybe a 1/4 season on rocky terrain and it's obviously failing. I did run a pair of the same but in a 2.1 last year that lasted the whole season, and now this. I e-mailed kenda to see if they would do something about it. Maybe that is why I got a good deal for the tires???

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Well I was hoping for better durability that what I got, that's all. It also seemed strange to me that, perhaps coincidentally, the knobs fell off over the course of 2-3 days time. Now I'm running a moto raptor 2.24 and I'll see how it holds up, but I can't imagine a tire worse than the blue groove.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by poweraide
    The same thing is happening to me. I'm running the 2.3 Blue Groove Stick-e, and I just recently lost about 8 lugs off the rear tire that was on the front. Its been maybe a 1/4 season on rocky terrain and it's obviously failing. I did run a pair of the same but in a 2.1 last year that lasted the whole season, and now this. I e-mailed kenda to see if they would do something about it. Maybe that is why I got a good deal for the tires???
    I have heard this as well from a few local riders here in Austin, TX . I have not experienced the same with mine. I have several hundred miles on them and they are still going strong. Mine are the Stick-E version in 2.1.

I ride pretty rocky terrain and had nothing but great experience with them. Post-up Kenda's response. I would like to know what they say. I used some of the new Michellin mountain extreme tires for about 20 miles before notcing large chunks of rubber missing from them. I took returned them to my LBS and out my Blue Grooves back on.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    I emailed kenda a week ago and have received no reply.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

good response

You are going to have to call kenda and speak to them. I sent an e-mail and received no response. I talked to a woman " bobbie" and she hooked me up. Call in,ask for bobbie, explain your problem, and she will more than likely do the same.614-866-9803. good luck