MTBiker
    Oct 2006

Keep pinch flatting with Kinetics

I have got 3 pinch flats in the rear so far using Kenda Kinetics. I have over 30psi in the tire, and just riding over a few rocks the tires have no structure to them and pinch the tubes.

I decided to get rid of them...they grip extremely well (Stick-E) but don't have enough support for DH. (anyone interested.. extremely cheap 26x2.6...50% tread front 20% tread rear)

So I already have on order a 2.7 Maxxis Minion DHF 3C for the front, and I just want a cheap, strong 2.5 for the rear. I don't want to spend a lot of money, it just needs to be a tough 2-PLY and have close to 60a durometer.

Suggestions please.
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

pedal pusher
    What's your rim width?

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    I dont know they're 26" mavic EX729's
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

banned
    In reality, I don't think the Kinetics would qualify as a true downhill tire. They don't have the casing strength for it. Think of it as a really big XC/light AM tire

pedal pusher
    From Mavic's website:

559 x 29c
    Recommended tire width: 2.3 - 3.0

I ride some skinny XC rims (19c, I believe) and I run Kinetics in the 2.35 size with less than 30psi and I've never pinch flatted a tube.

Maybe it's your tubes. What are you running?

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    The tubes pinched were IRC Torque DH tubes. The riding here just has a lot of jagged rocks and I need a stronger tire.

Could someone list off a few 2-ply's that I can look into?

Coors, the american beer.
    put more psi in em

im 200 lbs and run 40psi regardless in all my bikes ... viirtually no pinch flatting

if your kinetics are 2.3 and hardly used ill paypal you $10 to ship em to chico ca 95928
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

banned
    You could check out the Maxxis website. They have some pretty hefty tires that could take all kinds of abuse. The above posters are right. If you put more psi in them you shouldn't have a problem. I ran them for years and I weigh 285lbs and never pinched. I think on the sidewall the minimum psi is 40psi. I know it was on my 2.35's but not sure about the 2.6's

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Maybe you are right. It just seems like no matter how much air, the rocks manage to poke through when i slam into them at 20mph

Melt, they're 2.6's and very used haha. The stick-e compound just gets ripped up in the rear. The front is really the only sellable one

I would ideally get a minion 2.5 60a in the rear but $50 is a bit much.

banned
    Search online for the best deals. Minions can be had cheap. So can High Rollers

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Okay. So is maxxis the best place to look or what?

I should have noted that my kinetics are the folding single ply version...apparently they make a steel bead Dh version too

banned
    You could also check out the Hutchinson Octopus, IRC Tamashi and several others. Use the search function for downhill tires or go to the downhill forum and ask some of those guys

Coors, the american beer.
    im suprised you are killing 2.6 stick E's ... MTBBILL swears by those tires
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    im suprised you are killing 2.6 stick E's ... MTBBILL swears by those tires

Yea well it's not really the tires that are dying, it's the tubes, but it's because the tires don't provide enough structure, they can fold over pretty easy

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Anyone interested in the Kinetics should look here: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...-E+K+Tire.aspx

I just found it. $9 for a good xc/am tire...for that price I dont think you could go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kuksul08
    I have got 3 pinch flats in the rear so far using Kenda Kinetics. I have over 30psi in the tire, and just riding over a few rocks the tires have no structure to them and pinch the tubes.

I decided to get rid of them...they grip extremely well (Stick-E) but don't have enough support for DH. (anyone interested.. extremely cheap 26x2.6...50% tread front 20% tread rear)

So I already have on order a 2.7 Maxxis Minion DHF 3C for the front, and I just want a cheap, strong 2.5 for the rear. I don't want to spend a lot of money, it just needs to be a tough 2-PLY and have close to 60a durometer.

Suggestions please.
    2.5 Minion (DHF or DHR) or
    2.5 High Roller
    both are available in 60a.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    2.5 Minion (DHF or DHR) or
    2.5 High Roller
    both are available in 60a.
    Well ideally I would like the minion DHR 60a rear but it's $55...

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by kuksul08
    Okay. So is maxxis the best place to look or what?

I should have noted that my kinetics are the folding single ply version...apparently they make a steel bead Dh version too
    So you used an XC tire for DH riding and your blaming the tire???

Next time try using a tire designed for the riding you intend to do, maybe then you'd have better luck. FWIW, I've used the Kinetics DH tires and they hold up just fine, even with 20psi.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Haha oh man, I went riding today and I was sure I wouldnt get a pinch flat. I put about 45psi in the rear to where it wasn't even compressing when I pushed on it, and I got a pinch flat. Ridiculous...

On a lighter note, the minion DHF 3C i just put on is amazing. Sticks like glue