renaissance cyclist

Karma DTC and IRC Mibro

I had myself all convinced to buy IRC Mibro 2.1s when I was looking for a somewhat light XC tire. I also bought a wheel set recently, and the shop where I had the wheels made offered me a big enough discount on tires to make me change my mind about ordering on the Internet. The only light XC tire they had was a Kenda Karma DTC 2.0. Does anyone have experience with the Karma DTC? Is this a tire I could keep on the bike as long as things donít get too rough, or is it a race only kind of tire? Iíve read conflicting accounts about this. Some say you can leave them on, and others say to save them for the races. I do have another wheel set with WTB Motoraptors that I put on when I know Iíll be taking on some hairy descents, or rocky conditions, so my non-race use of the Karmas would be relatively tame.

Iím still thinking about buying the Mibro 2.1s anyway, using them as my everyday XC tire and saving the Karmas for racing.

Iím also kicking around the Idea of going with a Stanís tubeless setup, and Iíve heard the Karmas arenít good for that, so I might just ride on the Karmas until I kill them, then order the Mibros along with Stanís kit. Anyone ever gone tubeless with the non-UST Mibros?

Former Bike Wrench
    Stans lists kevlar bead IRC's as a no go with their kits...I blew my Mythos kevlar bead tires off the rims twice a few years back (before Stans came out with their list). They have very weak beads.

As far as the Karma, its a good XC tire and quite light. They do have a very thin casing, but they are not on Stans list of tires not to use so I'm not sure why they wouldn't work tubeless.

No good in rock gardens..
    I ran my 2.1 folding Mibro's ghetto tubeless with no problems at all - apart from the sealant drying out prematurely which is what saw me going back to tubes.

Great tyres - fast, light and grippy.

The 2.0 Karma will actually look a bit wider mounted up as the 2.1 Mibro is more like a 1.95 if that.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Former Bike Wrench
    I will clarify that I blew off the IRC's using a UST rim...not Ghetto which I can see would have a better chance of staying in place.

mtbr member
    I had the Karma TDCs on my 26" bike, setup tubeless on AMC wheels. They are still my all time favorite all-condition tires. I rarely had traction issues, regardless of the terrain.

J

renaissance cyclist
    Good to hear that, Iíll be taking the Karmas out on their virgin run tomorrow, so I guess Iíll see how I like them. Iím expecting quite a variety of conditions, with patches of snow (hopefully only patches), hard pack (actually, frozen soil) and probably some mud too. I would generally use my other tires, but I really want to test the Karmas out.

renaissance cyclist
    Next time I place a pricepoint order, Iíll be throwing in a set of Mibros (good to have a backup, and as cheap as they are, why not?), and a Stanís kit. Thanks for the responses

mtbr member
    I've ridden the Mibro's for all conditions except mud for the past two years, tubeless on Mavic Crossmax's last year. I never had a problem. If you mount them up you'll want to ride them all the time. Light and fast with much better grip then the Karma. This year I got a Niner and I wish I could get a 29er Mibro.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    yep Karma's are a great time. they just seem to work well everywhere i take them; rocks, roots, mud, blue groove, dust, tacky dirt, everywhere. well not the greatest in the mud but not bad either.

as for stans that is probably a no go as i have seen problems with stans and kendas in the past.

ups and downs
    I tried the UST Mibro 2.1's and was very happy with them in absolutely dry conditions, but they were just diabolically slippery on any moisture.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada