mtbr member
    Apr 2009

k-rad vs small block eight

I ride 70% road 30% hardpack trails. I'm trying to buy and all rounder and keep the weight down. I like the K-rad 2.1 better, I think it will do betteron the kurbs / stairs etc and I think it will do well on the trails too, just wondering if I want all that weight? Anyone ridden similar with them? Do they roll so well you don't notice the weight or am I better off going for the sb8 1.95? They are also good in the conditions I'm in, just a chunk lighter. Can see me flatting them at some opint maybe.

the classic question - I want fast / light / invincible

cannot have everything. Still would appreciate feedback on either tire from people who have used them.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    I ride 70% road 30% hardpack trails. I'm trying to buy and all rounder and keep the weight down. I like the K-rad 2.1 better, I think it will do betteron the kurbs / stairs etc and I think it will do well on the trails too, just wondering if I want all that weight? Anyone ridden similar with them? Do they roll so well you don't notice the weight or am I better off going for the sb8 1.95? They are also good in the conditions I'm in, just a chunk lighter. Can see me flatting them at some opint maybe.

the classic question - I want fast / light / invincible

cannot have everything. Still would appreciate feedback on either tire from people who have used them.
    The K-rad would be the better pick. Much better for the street/urban, more durable, though maybe not as good on the trails, depending on conditions.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i would also go with the k-rad. alot of people compare the small block 8 as a smaller version of the nevegal. i ride k-rad 2.3s on my urban bike and have no problem getting around. i agree that they wouldnt be quite as good on the trails as well.

if you were 30% road and 70% hardpack i would say small block 8. but since you are 70% road and 30% hardpack i would say k-rad.

and plus jensonusa has the k-rad on sale right now. i bought 2.3s yesterday for 14$ a piece.
    Honk your horn if im paying for your mortgage!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm leaning toward the k-rad too.

Ever used Schwalbe Table Top's?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    I'm leaning toward the k-rad too.

Ever used Schwalbe Table Top's?

I'm sorry I have not. The tread pattern looks good though. Although, it would be hard for me to buy the Schwalbes because I could buy two K-rads and two tubes for the price of one Schwalbe table top unless you found a sale or something.
    Honk your horn if im paying for your mortgage!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    you're not wrong

nice and light though. Just need to get them for sensible money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by russelr
    i would also go with the k-rad. alot of people compare the small block 8 as a smaller version of the nevegal. i ride k-rad 2.3s on my urban bike and have no problem getting around. i agree that they wouldnt be quite as good on the trails as well.

if you were 30% road and 70% hardpack i would say small block 8. but since you are 70% road and 30% hardpack i would say k-rad.

and plus jensonusa has the k-rad on sale right now. i bought 2.3s yesterday for 14$ a piece.

what if your riding it around 50/50 for trail and road use? Think the Krad is still the top pick then?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesrace82
    what if your riding it around 50/50 for trail and road use? Think the Krad is still the top pick then?
    IMO Yes. A pavement-worn down K-rad should be better on dirt than a SM8 with the same amount of paved use.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is there any other tires you would recomend to me for 50/50 riding besides the K rad?

mtbr member
    I have ridden 2.3 K-rads on a mostly hardpack trail and was quite surprised at how well they did. That was until I tried to corner hard. Just adjust your riding style to take this into account. They are also quite durable.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club