Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdev1 View Post
    Woohoo! Greg Callahan just won the last EWS Enduro race in Madeira Portugal and had the previous EWS race won in Tasmania until he crashed in the last stage.
    So these tires make you crash 50% of the time?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    So these tires make you crash 50% of the time?
    50% chance of a win, 50% chance of crashing out, and 100% guaranteed to have all the knobs tear off after a week of riding.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    50% chance of a win, 50% chance of crashing out, and 100% guaranteed to have all the knobs tear off after a week of riding.
    Even with the new compound? I don't think we have enough data on that yet to make such a claim.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Not available to public until June. Only the pros get them now. Increased durability may keep those side knobs from ripping off for some people. Only time will tell.

Elitest thrill junkie
    make people think they are good=marketing success!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    The one thing that I noted that did not really seem fair is that you all tested a very old Light Bicycle rim. That 35/30 mm rim was current in like 2014. I bought 38/31.8 rims in 2015 & their current rims are all asymmetric.

Seems like you all should have at least used the somewhat more current 38/31.8 rims if you wanted a fair comparison. Perhaps those would have rode a bit better vs. the more current competitors?

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markiel View Post
    The one thing that I noted that did not really seem fair is that you all tested a very old Light Bicycle rim. That 35/30 mm rim was current in like 2014. I bought 38/31.8 rims in 2015 & their current rims are all asymmetric.

Seems like you all should have at least used the somewhat more current 38/31.8 rims if you wanted a fair comparison. Perhaps those would have rode a bit better vs. the more current competitors?
    I decided to include the older Light Bicycle rim due to price point. One of the hypotheses that I was looking to test was whether a sub-$1000 carbon wheelset could ride just as well as more expensive wheelsets. At $800, the LB wheelset looks like a great bargain, but not so much at the $1200 price of the LB wheels with the asymmetrical rims.

I'm planning a blinded retest in the fall of the Enve M70 HV, Nox Composites Farlow, Knight Enduro and Stans Flow Mk3 with another wheelset added. I'm open to suggestions for testing but am considering wheels from LB as well as Ibis, Specialized, etc. Changes to the testing protocol for the retest will be:

1. Individualized air pressures for each test rider: For instance, at 155 lbs, I would run 22 psi front and 26 psi rear.
    2. Rim & hub brands masked out: I figured out a way to do this with a reasonable amount of effort
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    In 2015, I had a set of wheels built up using light bike carbon rims for under $1K. I opted for the 38/31.8 rims with a heavy duty build for the rear rim. Used DT 350 hubs & a local builder. 1630 grams total before tape & valves.

The rims that you tested were definitely not current in spring 2015, and were not recommended for all mountain riding at that time. They had implemented a major over haul on the design and construction with the more rounded profile and wider bead wall in 2015 in response to the learning process from the 2013/2014 era rims that you tested. I'm surprised that they even still make those old rims.

I would be interested in how the 2015 era 38/31.8 rims compare to the current higher end offerings. Also, I'd be interested in how the asym rims compare to the centered rims used in the 2015 design. I'm not sure that the asym is worth the extra $80 per rim.

horn doggie
    I enjoyed reading this test article, as it is well presented and informative. The only thing that makes it inconclusive for me is that tire pressures did not reflect optimum psi for each riders' weight.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude View Post
    I enjoyed reading this test article, as it is well presented and informative. The only thing that makes it inconclusive for me is that tire pressures did not reflect optimum psi for each riders' weight.
    We'll address that in our next tire test by haulingl a floor pump to our testing loop,
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12