Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006

Jones AC/Jones XR

Alright. So i'm getting a Fisher Piranha and it comes with the Bontrager Jones XR tires. I've read that they suck and get flats easy, etc. I've read the same about the Jones AC's from Bontrager. Is the stuff I read true? If so, I was looking at a set of WTB's. Any recommendations similar to the XR's? I was looking at Velociraptor.

Thanks in advance,

~Shorty~

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Friend that I ride with uses the ACs that came on his Trek hardtail. He runs his psi in the 25-35 range with zero pinch flats to date on the rather rocky, rooty, gravel stuff we ride on. He never has complained about traction yet either.

Why not try the tires out on a few good trail rides at various psi's and see for your self? I certainly wouldn't toss out a set of tire just from what other people say without trying them really well myself first.

Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006
    That's was i was going to do anyway, but just in case, i wanted an idea of what else to look for. Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Not true. They are good tires but it depends on how you ride. The XR is more XC race oriented than some other tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

XR not for every condition

Quote Originally Posted by kylejohn4543
    Alright. So i'm getting a Fisher Piranha and it comes with the Bontrager Jones XR tires. I've read that they suck and get flats easy, etc.

~Shorty~
    My Fisher Paragon 29er came with Jones XR, and my first impression, based on two rides in semi-muddy conditions, was that they sucked, hard. I fishtailed on anything remotely wet and lost traction on some uphills. My dry ride experience has been night and day--they are fast and pretty reliable, though not as grippy in loose or gravelly sections. If you ride mostly hardpack singletrack and some on the road, these would be great tires. If your regimen includes wet/loose conditions, choose a tire with more aggressive knobs.