mtbr member

Joe Blow Mountain Pump-Tubless Inflation

I've been considering buying a Topeak Joe blow Mountain pump for inflating tubeless tires since I don't have a compressor at home. I borrowed this pump from a friend and was unable to get my Rampage on a Flow 29er to inflate, I removed the stans valve core too. I've read many accounts of people having success inflating tubeless tires with this pump. I may not have tried hard enough. I'm still considering purchasing one since it does inflate mountain sized tires much faster than most pumps.

What tire/rim combos have you had success inflating tubeless with a Joe Blow Mountain? Any additional tricks you used?

mtbr member
    This is a good pump, but it is not a cure for everything. You can definitely seat more tires with it than with a usual skinny pump, but for some tires you will still need to use a compressor.

With this pump, less tires will require soapy water to get inflated. That is, if you were able to mount some tire with a usual pump using soapy water, you're likely to not need soapy water for the same tire if you use the Joe Blow Mountain. And for those which were impossible to mount even with soapy water, you're likely to be able to seat them using the Joe Blow Mtn + soapy water.

Either case, it's worth buying. It makes inflating wide tires quick and easy due to really good amount of air per stroke.

I personally would prefer a more detailed narrower range pressure gauge on it though. It reads up to 70 psi which I think is too much. Not a big deal if you own a digital gauge though.

As for the tricks, the most useful I think are:

- seating one side of the tire by mounting it with a tube prior to inflating it tubeless (sometimes it's also helpful to leave it inflated with a tube for a few hours to settle down)
    - removing the valve core
    - using lots of soapy water

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirus View Post
    As for the tricks, the most useful I think are:

- seating one side of the tire by mounting it with a tube prior to inflating it tubeless (sometimes it's also helpful to leave it inflated with a tube for a few hours to settle down)
    I'd be very interested to know how you do this, as I had enormous trouble mountain up a tyre with a Stans conversion kit. I assume you can't do this with the rubber rim tape in place. So how can you mount it up with a tube, then remove the tube without having the bead drop back into the centre of the rim?

Thinking about this a bit more, maybe you are using a rim tape with a separate valve, rather than the integrated rubber strip + valve as supplied in the Stans conversion kits?

Or am I missing something. Is this a method which can be used with the normal Stans conversion kit (one-piece valve + rim strip)?

Thanks

mtbr member
    The Joe Blow is not a high volume pump. You would have much better luck with a high volume pump like the Lezyne dirt.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    The Joe Blow is not a high volume pump. You would have much better luck with a high volume pump like the Lezyne dirt.
    The Joe Blow Mountain --as mentioned in the first (old) posts--is high volume. I have one. Works great with UST spec tires/rims.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeW View Post
    I'd be very interested to know how you do this, as I had enormous trouble mountain up a tyre with a Stans conversion kit. I assume you can't do this with the rubber rim tape in place. So how can you mount it up with a tube, then remove the tube without having the bead drop back into the centre of the rim?

Thinking about this a bit more, maybe you are using a rim tape with a separate valve, rather than the integrated rubber strip + valve as supplied in the Stans conversion kits?

Or am I missing something. Is this a method which can be used with the normal Stans conversion kit (one-piece valve + rim strip)?

Thanks
    Does not work with every tire and rim.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Does not work with every tire and rim.
    I can't see how Shapirus's original tip can work with ANY tyre or rim. As I understand it, the idea was to seat the tyre by first inflating it with a tube to seat the tyre bead, then remove the tube and inflating tubeless. What isn't clear to me is when you put the tubeless rim strip in. If it goes in before the tube, then you have nowhere for the tube's valve. But I can't see how you can take out the tube and fit the rim strip in afterwards.

The only way I could see this would work is if you have a separate rubber rim strip and valve stem (which is not what was supplied in my Stan's NoTubes conversion kit).

Note that the original tip didn't seem to be referring to simply shaping the bead (eg for a new tyre) by inflating it with a tube first, then dismantling and re-installing tubeless, because he talked about actually using a tube to seat the bead. It could be that the tip is a dud, but if there is something in it, I'd be keen to learn more.

I can't see how Shapirus's original tip can work with ANY tyre or rim. As I understand it, the idea was to seat the tyre by first inflating it with a tube to seat the tyre bead, then remove the tube and inflating tubeless. What isn't clear to me is when you put the tubeless rim strip in. If it goes in before the tube, then you have nowhere for the tube's valve. But I can't see how you can take out the tube and fit the rim strip in afterwards.

The only way I could see this would work is if you have a separate rubber rim strip and valve stem (which is not what was supplied in my Stan's NoTubes conversion kit).

Note that the original tip didn't seem to be referring to simply shaping the bead (eg for a new tyre) by inflating it with a tube first, then dismantling and re-installing tubeless, because he talked about actually using a tube to seat the bead. It could be that the tip is a dud, but if there is something in it, I'd be keen to learn more.
    Trying to use any standard tires and/or rims without inner tubes using any method is a crap shoot. May work. May not. Even if it can work it may take hours (days) of fiddling to get it setup.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How about retrofitting one of those inflatable pumps just for tubeless use? They move massive amount of air and they're quite inexpensive. You would still require a regular tire pump to get it up to pressure, but for seating the bead, it should suffice.

Amazon.com: Kwik Tek Airhead Double Action Hand Pump: Sports & Outdoors

Name:  41HC45FqS-L.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  23.3 KB

mtbr member
    Yes, it looks like you cannot do that with a rubber rim strip. I never used anything tubeless other than ZTR+Stan's yellow tape. With this setup, pre-seating one side of a tire using a tube usually works very well. I had, however, one or two tires which, once deflated, would immediately unlock and drop both beads to the center of the rim, rendering such a trick impossible.

MarkyMark
    Just wanted to say that I bought one of these pumps from REI a while back after reading this thread. I was having problems getting a tire (Crossmark UST) to seat on my Reynolds AM rear wheel after getting a spoke replaced. This pump got every sealed on the first shot!

I'm going to try converting my DT Swiss XRC wheelsets to tubeless next.

Worth every penny!