mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Issue with leaking air

Hi folks,

i'v been looking for some advise for tubeless setup - i've put my Schwalbe RoRo lite skin evo on carbon rims and set it up as i used to in my previous tubeless setup - sealant is cofelatex. Strange thing is that everything went smoothly - anyhow when i am riding/breaking hard it is loosing air (especially on the rear). I do not see any leakage of sealant though (100ml+ of it inside).

Do you have any idea what's going on?

Thank you!
    Best regards,
    MCC

mtbr member
    Most likely tape job is not perfect and air is getting into the inner channel leaking out by the valve stem. Note that a lot of people are quick to blame the valve stem but almost always is the tape. If that is ok you may be burping the tire. Try running higher pressure. Also, sometimes 100 ml is not enough. The Schwables may need extra is they have a lightweight casing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    thanks for that hint. I've been seeing the leakage of air over inner channel in previous setup - anyhow the sealant was leaking as well - either around the valve or through spoke holes. I've been also running lite skin but RaRa for almost whole season - and haven't experienced any issue with it. The rear tire setup has been changed several times - all - literally all tires were keeping pressure with lower volumes of sealant (26" though). This time (since i was building new wheel set) i asked guys who made them up for me, to do the tubeless setup as well (DT Swiss valve - with special shape which fits the inner part of rim + rim tape). So i am trusting they're more experienced than I am/was doing my previous setup myself from the scratch. Tires went in with noisy clap with minimal amount of soapy water and right first time. Interesting is that i left them for a week or so after and they kept the pressure. Then i put it on the bike I made a test ride on a road - all was fine - and day after i went to marathon race. As i was not sure what to expect from carbon rims i went for higher pressure - 32-35psi, if i recall correctly, and after the race i realized there is far less pressure than it was the the beginning, no sign of leak, no noise of air leaking.
    Last week i took my bike for a test/practice on XC trail, pumped it up to 35psi and i noticed that after i made 2 circles - which is not more than 5 miles all together all up/down with challenging 25%+ downhills over roots and requiring hard breaking at the end - the air disappeared. Since i was a bit away from home i pressurized wheels using CO2 (i know it's not good idea though) and was able to make another 2 rounds - and again i lost most of the pressure. I was still able to get back home and I left the bike in the garage. In the morning there was no pressure in rear wheel. Funny thing is that next day I pumped it up with regular pump and I took the bike for 2.5hrs road ride (40+miles) and the pressure was ok. I am a bit puzzled and do not know if i shall rip the tape off and replace it with other? Or i shall replace tires e.g. with new addix snake skin rons? Or do both? Is there any option that the tire rotates on the rim and this way the air is somehow leaking and the sealant is not - coffelatex - as per the description - is in form of foam while the wheel is moving - so i wouldn't expect that, anyhow i will take any suggestions under consideration.

Thanks!

MCC

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Issue with leaking air

Should be the tape as mentioned by Porkchop_Power.
    One thing I recommend after applying tubeless tape DIY style, is to plug in a tube (and tire) and pump up to help the tubeless tape set to the shape of the rim, before you do the actual tubeless conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    will try it.

thx
    MCC

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    now i see it - the air is leaking through valve. I have an issue plumbing it. Will try different sealant.

MCC

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Used different than cofelatex sealant + replaced tape making sure it's covering center very well. It seams these 2 things sealed the Rocket Ron's lite skin tires. We'll see how it goes when the terrain is a bit more rough.

Best regards,
    MCC

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Keep us updated! Also, what sealant did you change to this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    will do - have a plan for xc practice this weekend on this racing bike - so will let you know if it holds the air.

IMO proper taping does the trick - it has to cover the middle row of rim correctly and has to be spread on the rim bed equally. Previously it was IMO too stiff tape - e.g. gorilla tape is much softer - thus can fit the rim shape better. I didn't use it this time TBH, but went for schwalbe high pressure tape - anyhow spent 1hr+ fitting it into the middle section and equally on both side - then i pumped the tire several times to the maximum pressure to make sure it sticks to rim before i applied any sealant. RoRo and RaRa are rather easy to fit - no need for any soapy water or so - just a simple compressor.

I used Trezado Liquidsealant this time.

Class Clown
    make sure to start the tape after the valve. i like to install a tube/tire and pump up to let the tape setup nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    All is great - 2hrs on the bike - no sign of air leaking.

MCC