mtbr member

IRC Mythos XC II Racing Kevlar Tires

PricePoint is having a sale for these tires - 17 a pop. Not bad at all for tires.

IRC Mythos XC II Racing Kevlar Tire at Price Point

My question is, has anyone had any experience with these tires?

I ride mostly on the Cypresswood trails for any of you Houston locals. It is mostly hardpack and sand. I would like to drop some weight but have no basis of comparison. I am currently running some old Kenda Krushers and can't find any specs online. I have no issues with my Kendas right now, but I feel they are a little sluggish. I want something that is easier to keep up my momentum, but I don't want to wash out on every turn.

Thanks for any input.
    Better to be a rider for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.

Former Bike Wrench
    Yep, they've been around for 15 years or so, still a good usable tread pattern. They do run on the narrow side so go for the 2.1 which is closer to a 2.0.

Dorkimus Prime
    Those tires were designed for the Atlanta Olympics, I do believe. But yes, still a good tire. It is a race tire tho, not much sidewall protection....
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Those tires were designed for the Atlanta Olympics, I do believe. But yes, still a good tire. It is a race tire tho, not much sidewall protection....
    Good to know. Thanks!

Any other suggestions for a tire with low rolling resistance but good traction?
    Last edited by mbrock.40; 03-07-2012 at 07:51 PM.
    Better to be a rider for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.

No good in rock gardens..
    The IRC Mibro also pops up for cheap now and then. I had a set of 2.1's and really liked them - though they are more like a 2.0 at the most. The 2.25 would be the one to go for.

Maxxi's 2.2 Ikon has good volume, is light and rolls really well. The Larsen TT and Crossmark are also good. Monorail is fast on the back, but a wee bit sketchy on the front in loose stuff in my experience
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have ran the Mythos for years! Still a great tire, even if the design is older than some riders here on MTBR!

Chris

No good in rock gardens..
    I remember when they came out - MBA magazine had ads calling them "Atlanta's best bite!" with pics of an apple and a bite out of it, and Susan DeMattei. They were designed for the '96 Olympics.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....