mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Are IRC Mythos XC front and rears the same?

I ordered a front and rear 26x2.1 IRC Mythos XC tire from Jenson. They have them for $7 each so I figured I would give them a try. The shipping invoice says that I was sent a front and a rear but the two tires are identical. They both have the same tread and markings on them. Neither says either front or rear on it. I called Jenson and they offered to send me a rear but they also admitted I might just be getting what I already have. They were very nice and said he would look into it for me. But does anyone here know if the front and rear tires are the same or different?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you bought the Mythos XC SLICK, then YES, they are the same tread pattern. If you bought the Mythos XC (II) then they are front AND rear specific.

Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 96m2comp
    If you bought the Mythos XC SLICK, then YES, they are the same tread pattern. If you bought the Mythos XC (II) then they are front AND rear specific.

Chris
    i think they are the (II), they are NOT the slicks that is for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rc51kid
    i think they are the (II), they are NOT the slicks that is for sure.
    Then they should be different patterns! I have 3 sets (non slick) myself, and have never received the same tread patternfor front and rear.

Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 96m2comp
    Then they should be different patterns! I have 3 sets (non slick) myself, and have never received the same tread patternfor front and rear.

Chris
    i will have to call Jenson. I dont know if they were going to just send me a rear for free since they messed up or if i had to ship one back to them. I kind of assume i have to return the old one. this sucks becouse shipping will cost a few $$$ becouse of the big box. the tires are on sale right now for $7 so it is almost not worth the shipping to return it. But i would like the correct rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I ordered the same clearance tires from Jenson, recieved one front and one rear, the two are quite different.

Former Bike Wrench
    The two are different left is front right is rear

If you got two fronts its up to you, I've used the front for a rear (same tread direction as front) and it actually works pretty good. The rear isn't as good as a front so if you got two rear tires I would try and get a front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The two are different left is front right is rear

If you got two fronts its up to you, I've used the front for a rear (same tread direction as front) and it actually works pretty good. The rear isn't as good as a front so if you got two rear tires I would try and get a front.
    yep, two fronts. I guess if they want to send it out to me with out me having to return one i will do it. But not sure i will bother if i have to ship it back.
    PS i guess i could get two more rears and have two sets, are they a good tire for $7?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by rc51kid
    PS i guess i could get two more rears and have two sets, are they a good tire for $7?
    Yes...they are a good tire for $7, nothing wrong with having an extra set

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Great tire - ran them for years -- the only thing I'll warn about is that it seems these super cheap folding Mythos that several retailers are selling might be old stock. Me and a couple buddies have all had issues with them starting to crack very prematurely.

I say this because I had a set from about 1999 that were new in the packaging that I kept on the shelf for 7 years - when I installed them, they came apart quickly, just like the newer ones.

Other than that, they're relatively light, and have a good all-around tread pattern.

At Work
    Yup, mine were some of the closeout stock, cracked very quickly.

Side note, a friend runs the Front Tire on his Front and Rear and says it is better then the rear specific.

Give it a shot!.