mtbr member
    Jun 2011

IRC Mibro-X Tires - Has anyone used them?

I just purchased the IRC Mibro-X Tire 2.4, looks like a decent tire. I was going to get the Maxxis DHF that pretty much EVERYONE recommends but it was a little out of my price range.

I came across this tire, it is a new 2012 model that just came out. I haven't found any reviews or thoughts on it, has anyone here tried out this tire?

IRC TIRE BYCICLE TIRE OFFICIAL SITE | MTB | MIBRO-X

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyone have any thoughts on this tire?

No good in rock gardens..
    Interesting. Never tried it - in fact IRC don't seem too popular at all really. I ran the Mibro 2.1 for a while and found it to be a nice, fast rolling and grippy albeit undersized tyre.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had never even heard about IRC until i came across this tire, I hope i don't regret my purchase

I doubt i'm the only to try this tire, hopefully someone on here can give their thoughts.

Keep us updated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I used the Serac XC years ago and found it to be a decent tire at the time. Wasn't great in mud, but passable. I moved on to Panaracer Cinder and Rampage after than because I wanted higher volume tires.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

eBiker
    Great to see IRC getting back in the game.

The new Mibro X looks really good.

P

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just received my Mibro-X tire yesterday, the tire looks small for a 2.4 when compared to my previous Eskar 3.5. The tire looks like a decent tread pattern and should hold up good. I'll be able to get a good ride in tomorrow so i can report back.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Looking forward to seeing reviews on this tire! It looks like a grippy tread, and it's not very expensive!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Had my first ride with the IRC Mibro-X, having the tire on the front really impressed me compared to my Eskar's. The tire grabbed hard when pushed in the turns, I was able to cut tighter lines than before. The overall steering was greatly improved, on the climbs as well the front wouldn't wonder. Just overall better control.I just placed an order for a second tire to add to my back, hopefully i will get great results as a back tire.

mtbr member
    The old mibro 2.25 is my summer/dry tire. Its very fast, feels predictable. Its absolutely horrible on wet rocks and roots though, zero traction! Its still a hidden-gem for me as its so fast and cheap.

The X version looks meatier, I hope its better in the wet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    From what i can tell on IRC's website the older Mibro was more of an "XC" tire where this their "All Mountain" tire. So far so good, i was really impressed with it so far.

Looks good - I like the edging knob design in particular. I did like my Mibro 2.1's and they punched above their weight for a tyre that was really more like a 1.95 at the most.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nando,

Are you running them with or with out tubes? How are the side walls?

thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Lieb View Post
    Nando,

Are you running them with or with out tubes? How are the side walls?

thanks.
    I am running them with tubs, the side walls do seem to be a little thin from some of the thicker tires i have felt.

i have gotten a couple more rides in with the tire and i am still impressed. I just received my 2nd tire for the rear yesterday so i'll report back in a day or so on how it does.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

How do you like it as a rear tire?

Nando87,
    How do you like the Mibro-X as a rear tire? Pricepoint has it on sale this week for $29. Seems like it should be a really good rear tire. Have you measured the cross section? Be interested in knowing. Looks like a fairly low volume tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I love these tires, they are bad ass IMO. No complaints at all so far, it makes a great front and rear tire.

I haven't measured the cross section, but they are not 2.4 as advertised. I was running 2.3 Eskars, they were much wider than these. But as stated above, no complaints at all.

mtbr member
    I've ridden a lot of IRC's tires back when I could find them, and I have not found a tire that made me as happy as the Mibros and Mibro for Marathon's did. Anecdotal information aside, they were by far the best combination of weight (XC varieties), predictable traction, and durability (sidewall cut resistance) that I could find. I ride across a lot of sharp rocks here in the desert, and have lost a great many tires to cuts. But being in the desert, I have no comments as to how well they work or don't in wet conditions.

I hope IRC increases the number of tires they ship to the US... My only complaint, is at the time

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman