mtbr member

IRC Mibro 2.25" on Rhythm tubeless?

I've been running Jones ACX TLR's tubeless on my EX 9.8 and now that it's dry and loose on the trails, I'm sliding all over.

So ordered some Mibro 2.25's today from Price Point, and wondering how these'll work on the Rhythm Elite Wheels with the Bonty tubeless strip/Stan's. I've read a few threads with them on Crossmax, and hoping I can run tubeless with my setup?

On the Jones, I was running around 35 psi and will probably start there with the Mibros. Assuming people have tried them on the Rhythm wheels, how low can I go without burping issues. I love my teeth and don't want to lose them going down without air in my tire

Thanks,

mark
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Judging by the silence, this hasn't been done. But from similar questions, it would seem that ghetto is the safer way to do this.

Assuming this is unsafe and I don't want to deal with the ghetto setup, is it a bad thing to remove the Bonty tubeless rim strips? If I'm going to run tubes, don't want that thing in there but don't want to ruin it in the future with other TLR tires. I'm concerned it might stretch and lose the ability to seal.

thanks,

mg
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

eBiker
    Is it a Mibro tubeless tire? Or a non tubeless?

P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    Is it a Mibro tubeless tire? Or a non tubeless?

P
    folding, non-UST.

mg
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark16q
    folding, non-UST.

mg
    Stan's gives IRC non-tubeless a "not recommended" listing. IMHO, I would pass on the tubeless conversion, they do have tubeless tires tho.

http://www.notubes.com/support_tire.php

P

No good in rock gardens..
    I did my 2.1's ghetto - worked fine until the Stan's dried up after about 3 weeks..... These were on Mavic 317D's.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    The tires showed up today, 2.25" folding. Per the IRC site, 590 grams. Actual weight 644. 10% difference...oh well. It's bigger than I expected based on web images, so the weight may be worth it for some traction on our Socal marbles.

Guess I'll mount them up and try without tubes using Stans and hope for the best. Guessing the ghetto is slightly safer as it's a tighter fit, but will run with the Bonty strips and air 'em up.

Mark
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

eBiker
    I love my teeth and don't want to lose them going down without air in my tire
    Did you read the link I provided? IRC = bead too weak for tubeless conversion.

Do what you feel comfortable with, but you asked the question.

P

mtbr member
    Did you read the link I provided? IRC = bead too weak for tubeless conversion.

Do what you feel comfortable with, but you asked the question.

P
    I did see that, and that was what prompted my concern. After quite a bit of search on mtbr, I did find a few people that said they'd tried it with success. I may end up throwing tubes in once I mount them up and see how tight the bead is. Probably the safe bet is try it on the back first. I'm not a big air guy, and don't run them too low (nothing under 35 typically).

Push comes to shove, I'll probably throw tubes in....thanks for advice and concern. Well taken.

Mark
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

Former Bike Wrench
    I had numerous issues with IRC Mythos folding bead tires on a Mavic UST rim running tubeless with Stans. They would burp pretty regularly and had a couple of blow outs which caused me to wreck. Just be careful...standard tires should have some sort of overlap seal (like Stans or Ghetto tubeless provides) to prevent burping. Not sure the Bontrager TLR system provides that.

mtbr member
    FYI - I'm running non UST Mibro's using stans/4.2s on my HT. Only have a little over 100 miles on them (my main bike runs Easton Havocs), but so far no issues on rocky terrain. I keep the PSI around 30psi, and I (mostly) keep my wheels on the ground on this rig.

eBiker
    I did see that, and that was what prompted my concern. After quite a bit of search on mtbr, I did find a few people that said they'd tried it with success. I may end up throwing tubes in once I mount them up and see how tight the bead is. Probably the safe bet is try it on the back first. I'm not a big air guy, and don't run them too low (nothing under 35 typically).

Push comes to shove, I'll probably throw tubes in....thanks for advice and concern. Well taken.

Mark
    I understand now. Sorry to come off harsh. For me the cost of crashing, especially losing the front tire, is not worth the (not so big) benefits of going tubeless.

Like some others, I am on my way out of the tubeless conversion thing and going back to tubes for a variety of reasons.

P

mtbr member
    I understand now. Sorry to come off harsh. For me the cost of crashing, especially losing the front tire, is not worth the (not so big) benefits of going tubeless.

Like some others, I am on my way out of the tubeless conversion thing and going back to tubes for a variety of reasons.

P
    Thanks..didn't take it as harsh...just as concerned. And I do appreciate that.

I'm out of shape and thus a weight weenie right now. So trying to shave grams wherever I can to get some speed back. I've read of quite a few Mythos blowing off, but not the Mibros.

So the next related question that hasn't been answered...if I run tubes I'll want to pull the Bontrager tubeless strips out of there, as they take quite a bit of space. Will the removal stretch them / render them useless next time I want to run TLR tires?

mg
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I had numerous issues with IRC Mythos folding bead tires on a Mavic UST rim running tubeless with Stans. They would burp pretty regularly and had a couple of blow outs which caused me to wreck. Just be careful...standard tires should have some sort of overlap seal (like Stans or Ghetto tubeless provides) to prevent burping. Not sure the Bontrager TLR system provides that.
    The Bonty TLR strips fill the entire center of the rim channel quite nicely. They make it so you don't need a compressor to air up. So from that standpoint, thinking burping won't be a problem. My main concern would be the bead blowing off the rim. While running a tube is certainly the safe way to go, would a tire at a given pressure be more likely to blow off a bead with a tube v. tubeless? Seems like the pressure on the bead would be the same.

Sorry if that's a stupid question, but trying to understand all of this...

Mark
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

Former Bike Wrench
    The Bonty TLR strips fill the entire center of the rim channel quite nicely. They make it so you don't need a compressor to air up. So from that standpoint, thinking burping won't be a problem.
    Burping is from the bead temporarily pulling away from the bead hook, I know the TLR rimstrip covers the middle of the rim. The difference is that a Stans or Ghetto rimstrip actually makes a seal between the tire bead and the rim strip, which prevents burping.

This video from Stans shows what I'm talking about, I've replicated these tests with a Ghetto setup and had similar results to the Stans rimstrip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Burping is from the bead temporarily pulling away from the bead hook, I know the TLR rimstrip covers the middle of the rim. The difference is that a Stans or Ghetto rimstrip actually makes a seal between the tire bead and the rim strip, which prevents burping.

This video from Stans shows what I'm talking about, I've replicated these tests with a Ghetto setup and had similar results to the Stans rimstrip
    Now I get it...watched the video and see what the main issue is. Pulled off my tires 2night, and the Bonty tubeless strip does indeed have a nice lip inside the bead to hold the tire in place. Dropped the pressure on the Jones TLR tires down to less than 20 and still couldn't burp 'em. and now I'm inspired...

So I slipped on the Mibros, and could quickly see that it wasn't going to happen. The bead was way too loose and my compressor blew a fusebreaker trying to get it to seal. Probably could've popped a tube in there and tried to get them to seal up, but just not worth the battle imo. Pulled off the Bonty tubeless strip, popped in the tubes and called it an evening. The tires are about 80 grams heavier than the Jones ACX, and the tubes about another 120grams. So it's a decent weight gain, but riding around the streets felt that the Mibros rolled WAY better than the Jones. The mud tire just didn't want to accelerate, while with the Mibros at about 32 psi, the bike felt downright spunky....we'll see how it does in the hills. For what these tires cost, not a big deal if I hate them but thinking they will be much better in present dry Socal conditions.

Thanks to all for the input and advice

Mark
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    I'm running non-UST Mibro 2.25 on Mavic XM-317 rims with Stans strips. Seated/sealed with no problems. 28psi, ride "aggressive XC", weigh 155lbs, been 3 months with no issues whatsoever.

mtbr member
    First ride today with tubes, running about 35 psi. I'm on Socal hardpack with dust and loose crap on top.My Bonty Jones were absolutely useless in these conditions, and downright scary to ride on (though beautiful when it was wet/muddy).

So with these tires and tubes, bike gained 1/2 pound and I could feel it climbing. Not horrible, and they roll much better than the Jones. Just more weight to drag around.

But the grip is night and day. On hard pack, loose stuff, rocks etc (chesebro for locals) they just did their job. Predictable and neutral. They do feel a bit harsh at 35, but I had to get to work and didn't want to risk lower pressure and a pinch this a.m.

The only place I felt some squirming was deep sand, which didn't surprise me. They weren't ridiculous, but the deeper knobs on the Bontys were better there. But we have so little of that condition that it's hardly an issue.

I might look into trying to get them to seal tubeless again, but for the price and minimal hassle probably leave them alone for now. Related to this, just ordered up some 2.1 nevegals which seem to work quite well tubeless, so a little comparison will be in order.

Cheers,

mg
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Lower you pressure to 30 or less. You'll find a huge difference. I've run Mibro's tubeless with stan's sealent on Crossmax's at 28 lbs with no problems; one burp all summer, I filled it back up right away,and no blowoff's.

mtbr member
    Update: Did a pretty good ride today, running at 35 to start, and dropped to about 30. No burps, tires worked great and next time I have some time on my hands will try the front. Overall weight difference about 2 hundredths of a pound. No gain there, but love not worrying about pinches.

decided to try again. Put the Bonty strips back in, and the tire aired up without a hitch. Guess the one ride with tubes helped seat up the beads. So then put in a couple of Stan cups. It was leaking from the sidewall in a few places, so did quite a bit of shaking and spinning and seems to now be holding better. Inflated to 40psi and it has dropped about a pound in 1/2 hour. Will keep shaking for now and hope it seals up.

How much Stan's are people running with such a setup?

Dropped psi down to 20 and tried to burp with no success. Even around 15, couldn't get it to leak air. Put a c clamp on it around 20 and with it all the way in, if I wiggled the clamp it would leak a bit. Is this severe or typical behavior. Without wiggling the clamp, no leakage.

I'm going to ride on it back wheel only for now to see how it goes, and if no burping or blowoff will try the front.

Any words of wisdom to seal those last little bubbles?

Thanks!

mg
    Last edited by Mark16q; 05-03-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t