mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Input on new tubeless tires

Recently popped some ea 90 xc 29 UST rims on my 2k12 spec rockhopper comp 29. I've put a good five hours of internet snooping trying to decide upon a great set of new tires for the ride. I ride in Phoenix so it's mostly rocks and don't need anything to survive mud/wet/road conditions. The specialized captain sports on my front are somewhat alright, but leave me wanting a more comfortable ride + grip. The fast trak sports on my back are trying to kill me, slipping constantly and every rock throws my butt off the seat. Climbing traction is also important, something the fast trak is having an issue with.

Every tire review I read on MTBR has conflicting reports from people that live in AZ. Nothing has really stuck out and blown me away.

Is it worth going UST/TNT type tire (weighs more) or just stick with a regular tire and seal it up? Any tire combo's would be appreciate, thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyE12 View Post
    Recently popped some ea 90 xc 29 UST rims on my 2k12 spec rockhopper comp 29. I've put a good five hours of internet snooping trying to decide upon a great set of new tires for the ride. I ride in Phoenix so it's mostly rocks and don't need anything to survive mud/wet/road conditions. The specialized captain sports on my front are somewhat alright, but leave me wanting a more comfortable ride + grip. The fast trak sports on my back are trying to kill me, slipping constantly and every rock throws my butt off the seat. Climbing traction is also important, something the fast trak is having an issue with.

Every tire review I read on MTBR has conflicting reports from people that live in AZ. Nothing has really stuck out and blown me away.

Is it worth going UST/TNT type tire (weighs more) or just stick with a regular tire and seal it up? Any tire combo's would be appreciate, thank you.
    have you run these tires tubeless yet? if so what pressures did u run? only asking bc i had some crossmarks when i got my bike and i didnt like the way they gripped or cornered. they were fast as hell on hardpack. i ran them tubeless and it was like a totally different tire. still fast but much more grip. ran them at 20-24lbs. then i went to Racing Ralphs which i loved even more. just too pricey. i had 1 sidewall tear which i patched and a bead break and blow off the rim on the trail. <----mostly my fault bc that particular tire was over a year old and has been dismounted numerous times and riden hard. now i have a segauro on the rear (tubeless version not the TNT) and its got a much thicker sidewall and about 60grams heavier than my RR was. My 2cents would be to find a tread and tire that you like and that gets good reviews. try not go with a dumptruck tire bc a 29er will slow you down unless you dont care bc you do gravity or DH riding.

mtbr member
    Spec ground cntrl is a nice all XC tire, it is also "2 Bliss" ready. I am running the 2.1 now front and back with no issues. When I went tubeless I dropped almost 4lbs off the bike. Huge difference in my top gears and speed. Your old Alex rims were "2 Bliss" ready. If you opt for the 120 TPI you can get it under 650g.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert