mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Industry Nine Torch - Anyone ridden yet?

Looking to build a new wheelset and considering the new Industry Nine Torch (classic) hubs. A few places have them in stock now so I'm curious to hear any riding impressions or initial impressions of the hubs.

mtbr member
    Not those, but I am about to order there new carbon AM 26 wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Not those, but I am about to order there new carbon AM 26 wheel.
    Nice! Will you post weights, pics to drool over and ride report PLEASE
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    1590 gram for the wheelset is what I am told. Will accept a 2.5 tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Not a ton of info here, but BikeRumor has initial impressions on the two sets they ordered here.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Looking to build a new wheelset and considering the new Industry Nine Torch (classic) hubs. A few places have them in stock now so I'm curious to hear any riding impressions or initial impressions of the hubs.
    Bike Rumor has one set of Torch wheels, carbon rims, 32 spoke count.

The other set on their site is mine, Industry Nine Trail rims, 24 spoke count.

I've been on the older version of Industry Nine wheels since 2005. I've only had the new Torch wheels since early January.

So far, so good. I spoke with Jake at I9, and it took him a half hour to tell me about all the improvements from the previous model. Of course the only thing similar about the wheel system and the classic hubs will be the new bearing arrangement, the swappable endcaps, and the new freehub design (springs, pawls, and drive ring were all updated). Don't know what else you're looking to know, but I can try to answer any questions.

Bad Idea Racing: Wheelzors

Disclaimer: sponsored by I9 since 2007
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have had a set for a few weeks. I have a couple hundred miles on them and they seem great. The actual weight for the trail 29 with 32 spokes was 1640 with rim strips and stems included. Given the wide footprint of the rims, I was impressed. They seem quite stiff and have been everything you would expect to date.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Still waiting for my Lefty 29er wheel-set, a few weeks past due!! Spring is here!!

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    I demoed a pair at Dirt Rag's Dirt Fest this year. Being able to test them on my own bike allowed for a direct comparison with my lower end wheelset (Flow rims, 756 XT hubs).

The first thing that I noticed was the near instant engagement. I had to adjust where I rested my pedals because the hub was catching with so much less play that I was used to. These wheels are also very light. It felt like I was on a brand new bike.

While the Torches felt solid in the corners, Allegripis trails don't have enough rocks and roots to give a complete report on stiffness.

If I had the bank, I'd definitely go for these wheels. I may take the more economical route and build up a wheelset on some Classic hubs.

Proud lame eBiker
    My Torch classic rear hub gave me some missed heart beats this weekend.

A few rides ago I remember hearing a loud "pop/snap" while going up a pretty steep little grunt of a climb. I figured soon the hub was going to start spinning but it held together to the top. Then I backpedaled. Everything was fine. "Huh? Oh well, hammer down!" and I kept going.

This Saturday night I drove three hours to a camp spot where I was going to then get up at 6:30am Sunday morning and pedal in a few miles to a resort and do an Enduro race. I have a camper on the back of my truck. When I packed my bike I took off the wheels and stuffed it all inside. Unfortunetly I didn't think too much about how to lay the rear wheel and laid it in at a 45degree angle with the cassette body underneath, hanging in mid air.
    Going down the 2 1/2 hours of freeway and 1/2 hour of fireroad made the cassette body slide off the wheel, landing face/pawl side down in the floor of the camper. So when I opened the door at 11:30 at night to set up camp I found a total heart stopping mess!
    Luckily the cassette body still had the pawls and springs attached, but it was dirty not. I started picking out the debrie with my knife when I realized that the inside bearing of the cassette body was blown to bits and what I was picking out wasn't small rocks from the floor of the camper but rather smashed ball bearings! Aggghhhhhh
    I'm thinking I'm totally hosed because I don't know if the resorts bike shop will be open before the race starts, let along them having a 27.5" wheel with 142x12 axle I could 'rent'....so I was thinking I might have to rent a bike, IF they were open.

No way. I was going to fix it! I figured I had been riding it with a destroyed bearing for some time so I might as well clean it up and get one more day use out of it.

All was going good. I tried to clean it without taking the pawls/springs off, but no luck. I just couldn't get it clear enough to spin once I put it back together.

Going on midnight now...

I pull the pawls while working at the back of by truck under some nice bright backup lights. But flying without a net as I didn't have anything underneath me. I was being real careful.....when while install pawl spring #5 it loaded up and instead of falling in it's little whole, shot off like a 1x3mm coil rocket into the fine silty tahoe dust.....buuuuuhhhhhhh bye!!

I contemplated throwing myself of a cliff for a few minutes, then figured, "well, I'm already missing a bearing. Why not run it with 5 out of the 6 pawls?"

So, that's what I did. I carefully installed the 6th spring and pawl. Gave it a spin and it felt fine. No binding. Threw it on the bike and torqued the thru axle down. Felt fine. Jumped on and did a few laps under the full moon at 15 past midnight called it good enough and went to bed.

Woke up. Rode in to Park. Did Enduro. Got 3rd. No problems!!!!!

Now.....should I replace the bearing and get a pawl spring or just keep riding it?! hehhehehehe
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member

Aaaaaaaand you just voided your warranty. 💩
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Trust me, i9 will take care of him. I had the same problem, i9 really stands behind what they sell. Great customer service !!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just bought a pair of these (torch hubs with stan flow ex rims). I've been riding hope hubs for a long time now. Decided to give these a go because i've heard a lot of good things about their instant engagement. I ride a lot of loose rocky climbs with steps so I thought what the hell these can make a difference.

Now that i've been riding them I can say that they definitely make a difference. I wasn't sure if the instant engagement was my imagination but I'm pretty sure now after riding them for awhile. When pedaling it feels very very smooth and I just keep getting forward momentum. As apposed to the hope hubs where it feels like I have to step down hard with each pedal stroke on the loose step climbs.

I'm pretty happy with these wheels so far and it makes the riding a lot more enjoyable. Also they sound really classy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post

A few rides ago I remember hearing a loud "pop/snap" while going up a pretty steep little grunt of a climb. I figured soon the hub was going to start spinning but it held together to the top. Then I backpedaled. Everything was fine. "Huh? Oh well, hammer down!" and I kept going.

This Saturday night I drove three hours to a camp spot where I was going to then get up at 6:30am Sunday morning and pedal in a few miles to a resort and do an Enduro race. I have a camper on the back of my truck. When I packed my bike I took off the wheels and stuffed it all inside. Unfortunetly I didn't think too much about how to lay the rear wheel and laid it in at a 45degree angle with the cassette body underneath, hanging in mid air.
    Going down the 2 1/2 hours of freeway and 1/2 hour of fireroad made the cassette body slide off the wheel, landing face/pawl side down in the floor of the camper. So when I opened the door at 11:30 at night to set up camp I found a total heart stopping mess!
    Luckily the cassette body still had the pawls and springs attached, but it was dirty not. I started picking out the debrie with my knife when I realized that the inside bearing of the cassette body was blown to bits and what I was picking out wasn't small rocks from the floor of the camper but rather smashed ball bearings! Aggghhhhhh
    I'm thinking I'm totally hosed because I don't know if the resorts bike shop will be open before the race starts, let along them having a 27.5" wheel with 142x12 axle I could 'rent'....so I was thinking I might have to rent a bike, IF they were open.

No way. I was going to fix it! I figured I had been riding it with a destroyed bearing for some time so I might as well clean it up and get one more day use out of it.

All was going good. I tried to clean it without taking the pawls/springs off, but no luck. I just couldn't get it clear enough to spin once I put it back together.

Going on midnight now...

I pull the pawls while working at the back of by truck under some nice bright backup lights. But flying without a net as I didn't have anything underneath me. I was being real careful.....when while install pawl spring #5 it loaded up and instead of falling in it's little whole, shot off like a 1x3mm coil rocket into the fine silty tahoe dust.....buuuuuhhhhhhh bye!!

I contemplated throwing myself of a cliff for a few minutes, then figured, "well, I'm already missing a bearing. Why not run it with 5 out of the 6 pawls?"

So, that's what I did. I carefully installed the 6th spring and pawl. Gave it a spin and it felt fine. No binding. Threw it on the bike and torqued the thru axle down. Felt fine. Jumped on and did a few laps under the full moon at 15 past midnight called it good enough and went to bed.

Now.....should I replace the bearing and get a pawl spring or just keep riding it?! hehhehehehe
    Yep-the cassette isnt properly secured due to their design. Mine slid off as well into the Oakridge dirt and fortunately did not get contaminated but it needs to be addressed by I9. That little O ring isnt going to cut it and the potential disaster is explained perfectly in your post.
    Good news is that yes, you can run it with as few as three pawls if you get into that situation again.
    Ibis 2012 SL-R
    Ibis 2010 Mojo SL
    Fat City Cycles 93' Yo Eddy!
    Fat City Cycles 91' Wicked Fat Chance
    DB 89' Ascent EX

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post

Going on midnight now...

I too have an issue with the hub bearing. New hub with less than 10 rides on it and it has disintegrated. I have 3 sets of Chris King hubs and have NEVER had an issue with any of them. Not happy at all with my first I9 wheelset. Happy with all 3 sets of CK wheelsets one that is going on 5 years now.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Voyeur View Post
    Yep-the cassette isnt properly secured due to their design. Mine slid off as well into the Oakridge dirt and fortunately did not get contaminated but it needs to be addressed by I9. That little O ring isnt going to cut it and the potential disaster is explained perfectly in your post.
    Good news is that yes, you can run it with as few as three pawls if you get into that situation again.
    Wouldn't this just be an issue when you have you're wheel off? Seems like the serviceability is a good trade off for me as long as you know about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Crank Brothers has great customer service too but you couldn't pay me to ride their sh!t. Customer service doesn't make up for a ruined ride or worse yet trip. Customer service doesn't walk you out for 30+ miles with light fading.

The freehub attachment is a non issue for me personally but the disintegrated innards sure as hell is. I defy anybody to find a story like this for a Chris King hub in the past 20+ years.

I was tempted by the incredible weights of these I9 wheels but chose to let others guinea pig them. So glad I did! I'm pretty dang sure the rims will prove less than stellar as well. You don't get something for nothing and the only way to reduce the rim weight so much is with crazy thin extrusions (i.e., cracked sidewalls from rock strikes).

I'll stick with my King/Mavic combo and the 300g penalty any day.

mtbr member

Dagnabbit, dodger, stop talking sense!

mtbr member

I have a friend who's incredibly hard on his wheels. He's wrecked an XT hub, a Hope hub, and a Hadley hub. He's on Kings with no issues after 2 months, but we'll see how hardy they are. If they hold up under his t-Rex legs, I'll be impressed.

As for my Torch Trails, 3 months, nothing but stiff, flawless performance. Serves as its own bear bell, too.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

It's a Turner!
    I just got the Torch Trail 29er carbons after destroying a set of American Classics, and these are hands down the stiffest wheels I have ever ridden. They are probably a little too stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I have a friend who's incredibly hard on his wheels. He's wrecked an XT hub, a Hope hub, and a Hadley hub. He's on Kings with no issues after 2 months, but we'll see how hardy they are. If they hold up under his t-Rex legs, I'll be impressed.

As for my Torch Trails, 3 months, nothing but stiff, flawless performance. Serves as its own bear bell, too.
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.