mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Industry Nine Steel Spokes

Anyone know of anyone making or selling steel spokes for I9 straight pull hubs? Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this would be a good idea? I think they're the best performing hub on the market, and while the aluminum spokes work great a steel option would be nice. I realize anodizing of stainless isn't the best but hell I like silver. One color works for me.

Anyone got a Swiss machine that wants to make me a set?

mtbr member
    Never seen any. Plus, dimensionally, the threaded end of an i9 aluminum spoke is pretty big. A steel spoke cut to fit would probably be pretty heavy.

I'd just use the J-Bend hubs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    True, there may be slight weight penalty at the threaded end. Though the cross section of a thread isn't very large. I am curious, maybe I'll model it up to see the difference.

Former Bike Wrench
    Why not just buy the regular I9's and use any brand of spokes you want?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That's probably what I'll end up doing. It's really just a curiosity thing. Seemed like the best of both worlds...i9 hubs with straight pull steel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Any idea the weight difference between 32 aluminum straight pull spoke and comparable steel J- bend spokes. I am thinking a hundred grams or so?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    Any idea the weight difference between 32 aluminum straight pull spoke and comparable steel J- bend spokes. I am thinking a hundred grams or so?
    I9 claims they weigh about the same as a triple butted j-bend spoke...so I don't see any advantage there. In fact if you go with something like a CX-Ray then the j-bend spokes may be lighter. They also claim lower rotating weight due to no nipples, but 32 alloy nipples weigh 32g so that is splitting hairs for all but the biggest weight weenie.

But they do come in pretty colors...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Is there another option besides the expensive I9 spokes? Because my wheelset has flows with erd of 536 and want some lighter rims but everything good requires me to replace the I9 spokes due to a higher erd. Buying all new spokes from I9 is out of the option expensive.

mtbr member
    I thought about having a set made from either Ti or something else exotic with my straight pull as many people have broken the spokes, but the al is not bad. It's a stiff wheel for sure.

transmitter~receiver
    If you wanted to force the issue one option could be to get adapters made to turn the threaded holes in the hub into regular straight-pull supports (head at the hub).

There's no anodizing steel.

I9 wheels are not particularly stiff... I think that due to the aluminum construction they give a feel that is interpreted as stiffness. just a thought as to why people seem to think they are stiff when they don't measure out to be compared to other wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Not a bad idea. I wonder how it would be tensioning it.

you can actually anodize stainless, but it has to be top coated to be durable and of course there no hardcoat benefit like you get with alumnimum.

The engagement of the wheels is absolutely amazing....that's why I ride them. Looking sweet is just a bonus.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post

do the maths alu 2,7kg/liter (dm3) steel 7,8kg/liter or dm3 and then just calculate the weight

cross-section area is calculated radius x radius x 3,14, if you calculate in dm (100mm) you get liters and kg in the end. Multiply by the length. Multiply by the amount of spokes.

The alu spokes has to be about 3x the cross-section area to weigh the same.

However this is seriously the least of your concerns, you should be factoring in, availability of spokes and nipples when a spoke pops, also alu is really not good for things thats stretches and contracts because it has a very short fatigue life, whereas steel and Ti has in comparison alsomst an infinite fatigue life.

If you look at a common alu like 6061 MatWeb - The Online Materials Information Resource
    you see it has a yeild strength of 276MPa after that limit it gets plastically deformed, and in the case of a spoke it permanently elongated and thinner, where it gets thinner depends on the Poissons Ratio but yeah its still toast. And they measure the fatigue strength at 5,00^8 cycles and its below 100MPa (1megapascal=1n/mm2)

Also have a look at a 304 stainless, usually regarded as a **** stainless
    MatWeb - The Online Materials Information Resource

20% cold rolled, and most steel spokes have rolled threads, and are butted, which is also a cold forming method, I'd say this is equivalent of regular butted spokes. It has a yeild strength of almost 700MPa, but it will probably have a fatigue strength of 250-300 or so in the same amount of cycles as the 6061. But if the load is only 100MPa which is the alu one it could have an almost indefinite life, in a sealed enviroment that is.

Just saying.

There is a reason they make spokes out of steel and have been for 100 years and that everything else is just for marketing, and its a very good reason too.. Because it works.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Carbon & Ti rule
    just go with the I9 hubs that take J bend spokes, Much cheaper.

If you have money to burn just spend it on the carbon rim's not on spokes.

I like I9 hubs to but can't see any problems with just keeping some new spokes to fit in the car.