mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Industry Nine Bearings

Has anyone had problems with the bearings in there I 9s ?
    Im really interested in buying the enduro I 9 wheel set http://www.industrynine.net/Enduro but saw a thread and a review saying that the bearings have play after a few months and they need to replaced after two season. Heres the link to the review http://www.dropmachine.com/Reviews/h...hope-a581.html and this what My buddy found on the turner sight that someone said
    I saw that review. A lot of good points and info there as I have tried a majority of those hubs.

I'm currently running I9's (on my second season) and have encountered the same problems with bearings. Unfortunately, it seems like they aren't using that high of a quality of a bearing that you find on other brands when you consider that the price is near on par with the other hubs.I had to replace the large bearing that sits on the freehub body because it was totally seized. Mind you, it was after a weekend of riding in Vermont with quite a bit of rain but my other friend's hubs were fine (DT's, Shimano XT and XTR).
    I went to a bearing shop and it was either replace it with the same type (an "offshore" brand) that was $20CDN or a name brand SKF for $70 (better seals, better race material etc). I went with the SKF.
    It's a little disappointing that they choose to use an inferior bearing on hubs that are engineered so well elsewhere in it's design.

Oh yeah, the front hub bearings developed play in them within the first two months of use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    OK, well if you have a new wheel its wise to keep an eye on it in the first few months of ownership - this is when new things bed in and some looseness can occur. Slightly unreal expectations of ANY new part to my mind

Also, two seasons out of a set of bearing is great.....I honestly worry about some of these people who expect that, because they spend a lot of money, they will get something that will never ever need servicing or any periodic checking (or be susceptible to all the problems which happen to every other MTB part on the planet)

Some users just like a general whine because something wore out - boo hoo

I have the I9 ultralights, bearings on both wheels have now needed to be replaced, but I accept that as a price for owning wheels
    Fantastic wheels BTW. They aren't the lightest in the WW catagory by a long way, but they are stiff and accelerate well and take hits better than their weight would indicate.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I killed my rear bearings in my I9 ultralites in 3 months, winter riding and hosing off killed them.
    That was a year ago the replacement bearing are still smooth, i do take abit more care now when washing and used plenty of quality grease when installing.

mtbr member
    Been running my enduro's for 3 years and replaced the bearings last September.

In that time I've been through 3 bottom brackets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezzza
    I killed my rear bearings in my I9 ultralites in 3 months, winter riding and hosing off killed them.
    That was a year ago the replacement bearing are still smooth, i do take abit more care now when washing and used plenty of quality grease when installing.
    Mine lasted 3 months of winter riding and hosing them off, too. I replaced them and they are still good after a year of summer riding. The are cheap and easy to replace so no big deal. I still love the I9s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Replaced mine 4- 5 times in 3 years.All year riding in the uk

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have just over a year on my I9 Enduros and the bearings are still going strong. I never hose off my bike and Colorado is pretty darn dry.

Edit: When it does come time to change them, is everyone ordering new bearings from I9 or are you just calling Enduro direct. I assume the bearing specs are on the i9 website somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for all your replies. Sounds like the bearings will last a lot longer depending on how you take care of them. No water

mtbr member
    I just replaced my bearings too, after 2 years.

At what point do you decide to replace them? My rear wheel turned into a fixie, so I knew it was time. Do you just replace them after so many months, or do you inspect the bearings every season? Or like me, just wait until it doesn't work.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm the same as you. But I'd been waiting with mine for the 9/10mm through bolt skewer adapters, so I did bearings at the same time (saves a dis assembly). Its also a little hard to tell wear with some bearings. One day they work fine, and the next the axle won't turn. The beauty of sealed units is that you can wear them out completely with no damage to the hub shell.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Upset Serious problems with my I9 Torch hub/bearings!

I've had a terrible experience with I9 Torch wheels.

First: Bearings felt worn in the rear hub - and this wheel was BRAND NEW!
    Had to got to the lbs and get the bearings replaced.

Second: a problem with the freehub body: When attempting removing the cassette from the freehub, the whole freehub slid off without much pressure applied, resulting in lost pawl and some springs.
    I9 advised they redesigned the axle, received new axle - seems like this resolved the issue

Third: Problems with wheels detensioning a lot (though apparently this is to be expected)

Fourth:
    New bearings lasted 1 week and then were nearly seized when I checked them"

Very unimpressed with I9 - I could have got 2 sets of Hope Pro 2 Evo wheels and still had over 100 left over.

I'd never buy anything from I9 again, overpriced, rubbish quality.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I too have had a bad experience with my NEW torch rear hub. After about 3 rides hub started making very loud noises, popping, cracking, much louder on and off. Took it apart and found that the bearing in the XX1 driver (next to the pawls) was disintegrated and in pieces.
    I think the hub is designed to come apart tool free and supposedly the pawls are self capturing so not sure why you lost the springs, etc. But I am with you regarding he bearings. I have used Chris King for well over 5 years with NO ISSUES. This is my first I9 hub and I never would have gone this route was it not for the necessity for the XX1 driver. Not pleased so far either!

mtbr member
    I had same probs with my front hub (rear hub bearings were fine but freehub body cracked) but they are about 4 years old. Overall I'd say I get about half the life (or less) out of their (I9) bearings as I do with DT Swiss or Hadley so, again, not terribly impressed. I spoke with Enduro (their supplier) once about this and they got defensive telling me to enjoy the lower rolling resistance and not to worry about a little lateral wheel play. Whatevs...

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 08-02-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If I had the choice, I'd love to get a full refund and go for Chris King's instead, but it seems I'm stuck with these wheels and their inherent problems.
    I've requested a brand new rear hub from I9, I'll wait and see what they respond with....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I called them this morning and was told there was a bad batch of Enduro bearings and that there was a new spacer (wider) that will help too. I9 is sending both bearings and the spacer, no questions asked which is nice. Hopefully this will fix my problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethshed View Post
    If I had the choice, I'd love to get a full refund and go for Chris King's instead, but it seems I'm stuck with these wheels and their inherent problems.
    I'm not a big CK fan but will say that they went so far as to have their bearings made specifically to their specs "in house" here in Portland because they were initially having too many QC issues with outsourced bearings (that was years ago). I'm not sure where Hadley gets their bearings but you rarely ever hear about bad bearings from CK or Hadley hubs.

Food for thought,

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Gman086.....why are you not a fan of CK?

mtbr member
    Because that buzzing noise is annoying to me and their costs are high, in large part, due to their bling factor. I'm just not a bling kind of guy - I'd rather ride than look at my bike. Hadley is where it's at for me but to each their own. I certainly wouldn't turn down a CK wheelset and I love the fact that they are local.

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Because that buzzing noise is annoying to me and their costs are high, in large part, due to their bling factor. I'm just not a bling kind of guy - I'd rather ride than look at my bike. Hadley is where it's at for me but to each their own. I certainly wouldn't turn down a CK wheelset and I love the fact that they are local.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I have heard good things about Hadley too. They were one of my choices until I settled in on the C/K's. I wanted durability/reliability and the instant engagement and I have not been let down ever. They have been amazing. Also, I have never paid retail for anyone of them. I always wait for a 20% off sale and the prices really aren't so bad then. Full retail......no way, they are definitely expensive!
    But then again, when your bike is down for the count, then that is worth something.
    One reason I am disappointed so far with my I9 hub. New hub that they already are having problems with and having to send out new bearings and a revised spacer. WEAK.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Meant to say also, if the buzz noise is annoying to you DO NOT get the I9's, they are even louder!

mtbr member
    Actually... not after cleaning and lubing with my blend of slick honey and syn gear oil - my I9's are so silent that I startled some hikers on the trail the other day, no lie! I also only run half (three instead of six) pawls so they roll a whole lot better and still have similar engagement as the CK's. So for those aspects, the I9's are ahead.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 08-06-2013 at 12:10 PM.

mtbr member
    G MAN, can you please share your slick honey / syn gear recipe? I have a pair of I9 Enduros that i'd like to clean and relube, and if I could get them a little quieter in the process, that'd be awesome.

mtbr member
    Sure, 4 parts slick honey to one part syn gear oil and use sparingly - doesn't need much.

Have FUN!

G