Thread: Ikon 26x2.35??

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Ikon 26x2.35??

Has anyone come across these yet. The 29ers appear to have made it into a few shops, but I haven't seen any 26" models pop up yet. The 3C EXO version will be the perfect summer rear tire for an all-mountain/trail bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Has anyone come across these yet. The 29ers appear to have made it into a few shops, but I haven't seen any 26" models pop up yet. The 3C EXO version will be the perfect summer rear tire for an all-mountain/trail bike.
    Yes, it's a great rear tire for a trail bike. Although I designed the tire and might be a little biased, I've been running a 29x2.35 Ikon Exo on the rear of my Banshee Prime and it's perfect for the trails and riding that I do. I feel like it has all of the grip of the Ardent 2.25 if replaced, but rolls faster and absorbs the high speed square edged bumps better.

I'm not sure if the 26" version has made it to the distributors yet, but both the Exo and non-Exo versions are in stock at the Maxxis e-store.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Can you mount the Ikon 29 x 2.35 on the XT wheels with narrow 19mm rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    Can you mount the Ikon 29 x 2.35 on the XT wheels with narrow 19mm rims?
    Yes, it'll just measure a little narrow. The tire will be slightly more likely to roll when cornering at low pressures also. But 19mm internal width isn't too bad.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    How long does it run before the outer layer of rubber wears off the knobs?

Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Yes, it's a great rear tire for a trail bike. Although I designed the tire and might be a little biased, I've been running a 29x2.35 Ikon Exo on the rear of my Banshee Prime and it's perfect for the trails and riding that I do. I feel like it has all of the grip of the Ardent 2.25 if replaced, but rolls faster and absorbs the high speed square edged bumps better.

I'm not sure if the 26" version has made it to the distributors yet, but both the Exo and non-Exo versions are in stock at the Maxxis e-store.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks! I'll wait for it to show up at Universal. Now, if only it came in 27.5/650b...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo View Post
    How long does it run before the outer layer of rubber wears off the knobs?
    That's not a question that can be easily answered. Many factors influence tread wear, including rider weight, power output, terrain, inflation pressure, and riding style (i.e. does the rider ever lock their brakes, how hard to they corner, etc.)

On a rear mtb tire I'll typically see wear at the braking edges of the center knobs and the inside edges of the shoulder (cornering) knobs first, as I rarely ride pavement and occasionally come into a corner too hot and lock the rear.

I think the tire wears pretty darn well. Much better than a Schwalbe, for example. The larger volume of the tire should also allow for lower inflation pressures, which in theory should improve tire wear.

mtbr member
    Sounds good if it should last multiple seasons.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Anybody know where to get these in the states yet????

Seems Australia has them but have never ordered anything from there and am unsure of the wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm looking at these, too, for the rear. Can't seem to find any in the States, though...

mtbr member
    I bought mine through the Maxxis store. http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Fil...df_version.pdf

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Ikon 26x2.35??

Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post

Any way you can convince Maxxis to make the 2.35 in a tubeless ready for those of us that have shunned tubes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.