mtbr member
    Nov 2006

ikon 2.2 replacement

have been running some ikon 2.2 exo tr.'s on a ti fargo for about 1000-1200 miles and starting to think about a replacement

first off- have had zero problems with these tires just seeing if there is something else to fit my conflicting needs better

its become my do it all bike so light single track to bike packing to some pavement so grip and rolling resistance both come into play.

the bike is rigid so shock absorption is a nice attribute. the ikons do ok but i wonder if a switch to 2.35's might be advised. Would the 2.2 non tr do better here (and in rolling resistance) due to more supple sidewalls?

on loose over hard the 2.2's leave a bit to be desired as far as control,no crashes yet, but some pucker moments.

Durability enters in because some of my planned trips are quite far from the car and shops so a failure would suck. Again the 2.2's have been flawless with no visible damage.

I realize that there is always a compromise in tire selection just looking to tap some others experience

Thanks

No good in rock gardens..
    Geax Saguaro 2.2.

Tried the Ikon, I reckon the Saguaro is superior in every way for mixed terrain.

I have 2.0's and they punch above their weight.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    they roll well too?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    For reliability, i would advise against the Ikon without EXO sidewall. (or any other super-light XC-tire, really)

Mine had a ripped sidewall after half a season of XC-riding on medium rocky terrain. Could be bad luck, of course. But i am a light rider, the bike is a short travel hardtail and our rocks are not really sharp, so this should not happen.

Now i use a Saguaro 2.2. Even the normal folding version is heavier and tougher than the non-exo Ikon. Both roll equally well, both on tarmac and on the trail. Size is approximately the same.

The Ikon has better traction on wet surfaces (softer rubber), while the Saguaro with its deeper thread is better in the loose.

Other options: Maxxis Ardent Race. Its an ikon casing with deeper thread for more grip in the loose stuff.
    Or, if your frame and rims can handle the size, then the 2.35 Ikon might be worth a try.

mtbr member
    The 2.35 Ikon is a different "animal", compared to the 2.2. Obviously, the casing is bigger with more cush, but the tread, unlike the 2.2 extends beyond the casing just a bit providing better cornering and more casing protection. Inflated, on 21 mm (internal) rims, it's about 59 mm in width. But, if grip is a factor, I'd think the Saguaro would be an improvement. I agree, the EXO version is the one I'd use.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by threepin View Post
    they roll well too?
    Yep.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i figured if i went maxxis would go at least exo- i noticed on the maxxis site that they list the tr version slightly lighter than the exo-not what i expected. I think i have the room and i am guessing the ikon 2.35 would be the cushiest of the options. Wondering how much much slower they roll -if its even noticeable.
    Kinda seems like the saguaro slots in between the 2 sizes of ikon, is the non tnt version as tough as the exo ikons?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    the rims i am using (rise 60's) are only 19 mm internal so that may limit the low pressure benefits on the 2.35