mtbr member

Ikon (2.2 & 2.35 EXO) alternate to RaRa/NoNi (2.1/2.25 EVO)

This is for 26" version, Utah, DRY trail, some rocky sections, areas of buff turns with some small loose gravel (about 1 cm or less in size).

The 26x2.2 Ikon (rear) is a good substitute for the 2.1 RaRa (rear). I wouldn't use it on the front. About the same size and grip as the 2.1 RaRa, the tread on the 2.2 Ikon is a bit narrower than it's carcass, but the carcass and tread wear on the Ikon looks like it will be significantly better than the RaRa.

The 26x2.35 Ikon is a different animal with tread wider and side knobs taller than the 2.25 RaRa. As a front tire in THESE CONDITIONS, steerage and braking is closer to the 2.4 NoNi - better than 2.25, for sure (even though 2.4 tire's tread is slightly wider, spread out and taller than the 2.35 Ikon).

Given the terrible tread life of the Schwalbe's, the Ikons would be a good alternative (cheaper, slightly heavier, easy rolling and better wear).

I'm thinking of going to the 2.35 Ikon rear and a 2.4 Ardent front as a more aggressive combo. There's no option in the review section to write up the 26x2.35 Ikon, so I haven't posted there. The carcass width for the 2.35 Ikon is 57 mm and the tread width for it is 59 mm.

mtbr member
    Just wondering if your comments on not using it on the front would apply equally to the 29X2.2 (EXO, Tubeless Ready) which I am considering for my Stumpjumper HT. And why you wouldn't?
    I need to replace a Specialized S-works Fastrack, punctured the sidewall at speed on a stony descent after just a few hundred miles and narrowly missed a major "off". Fast and lightweight it might be, but tough enough it seems not. So I am looking for a fast tread, but more robust.

mtbr member
    No. It only applies to the 26x2.2, as I haven't ridden the 29. It seems that folks on the 29er board might like it, though. For me, the 2.2 doesn't look like it has the cornering bite of the 2.35, which works well.

not so super...

Ikon (2.2 & 2.35 EXO) alternate to RaRa/NoNi (2.1/2.25 EVO)

Quote Originally Posted by StumpjumperUK View Post
    Just wondering if your comments on not using it on the front would apply equally to the 29X2.2 (EXO, Tubeless Ready) which I am considering for my Stumpjumper HT. And why you wouldn't?
    I need to replace a Specialized S-works Fastrack, punctured the sidewall at speed on a stony descent after just a few hundred miles and narrowly missed a major "off". Fast and lightweight it might be, but tough enough it seems not. So I am looking for a fast tread, but more robust.
    29x2.2 Ikon EXO is a great race oriented front tire. Works well on the rear too.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA View Post
    29x2.2 Ikon EXO is a great race oriented front tire. Works well on the rear too.
    Yeah I have been running the 29x2.2 Ikon EXO on the back of my Ripley. Weighing 155 I can run it at 20-22psi in the rear without pinching or burping, it's mounted on a rim with a 21mm internal width. On the front I run the Ardent Exo 29 x 2.4 at 17-19psi without burping or pinching!

I ride northern CA trails like Tamarancho, Cinderella @ Joaquin Miller Park, Annadel, China Camp, Skeggs, it's a combo of XC and AM with some DH. I have taken this setup down some burly DH sections like Chaparral, Ikon could use some more grip but it gets it done given the contact patch of the 29" wheel and of course rolls well on flat/hardpack. Wouldn't recommend the Ardent 2.4 for XC race but for an all-around, keep you out of trouble type tire it corners/hooks up great with low PSI. Low PSI is key on EXO, if you run them at 26-30+psi weighing 140-165 you will not get good traction as the sidewall is so stiff.

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA View Post
    RaRa 29x2.3 up front (SS, TLR, etc), Ikon EXE 29x2.2 in back; works great in loose, gravelly mountain conditions or typical SoCal canyon loose over hardpack dirt. 22psi front, 25psi rear, 185 pounds rider in dry conditions.