mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ignitor front, Ikon rear - 29er

I'm looking for a fairly light/fast rolling 29er tire combo that still has good cornering grip on loose over hardpack conditions.

From doing a bit of research I'm leaning towards a Ignitor 2.1 up front and Ikon 2.2 out back, set up tubeless on Stans Arch's. Does anyone run this set up, how does it go?

I have a Ikon on my 26" bike so know the size of it, but I haven't seen an Ignitor. Given it's a 2.1, will it look out of place (being narrower) than the Ikon, or are they about the same width?

I think I'm fairly settled on the Ikon for the back, but is there anything else I should be considering for the front, given I ride loose over hardpack and fairly rooty terrain?
    Last edited by manamana; 02-02-2012 at 02:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ignitor 2.1 is a tiny tire, more like 1.95. If you want to use an Ignitor anyway, go with the 2.35 and it will have the same size as the Ikon.
    If you like Maxxis tires, I would go with a 2.25 Ardent and that is the combo I'm currently using and liking a lot.

Cheers

I'm with stupid
    In 29er they end up being right about the same size. I ran this same set up in colorado and liked it till a ripped up the ikon on the rear. Make sure you get the EXO if you are riding where there are rock. I love the ignitor for the front on a 29er seems to grip in lots of conditions.

mtbr member
    I'm running this combo on my Jet 9 all winter. Works great.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    For my 29er i am running Ikon Front, RaRa rear - super fast and no drag. The RaRa doesn't grip as well as the Ikon, but it rolls like butter.