Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

If I switch from King hubs to DT 240s, am I going to be disappointed?

I'm fantasizing about XX1, and therefore considering a hub switch (out of necessity) away from my CKs. I could always go to I9, which are probably the closest match (heavy-ish, incredibly engagement, loud), but the light weight of the DT 240s is appealing to me. Anyone with experience want to comment?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've got dt swiss 240s rear hubs on almost all my wheel sets. They can't be beat for adaptability and ease of maintenance. I put the 36 tooth ratchets in most of my sets and run the 10mm rws. I think they're great. I got a rear 240s from CRC for about $170 but normally the rears are $350+ not cheap.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Used to love 240s. Then had bad experience with the 36t DT ratchets. Faced with using the 18 pt ratchets I gave up on them. Switched to King and I'll never use anything else. I just think it's the best design and the best performance. And I love the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

King will have that xx1 freehub soon. They acted like demand for xx1 was going to be low. I'm sure they see now that it's for real. They can't drag their feet much longer. Too many existing customers are bugging them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Used to love 240s. Then had bad experience with the 36t DT ratchets. Faced with using the 18 pt ratchets I gave up on them. Switched to King and I'll never use anything else. I just think it's the best design and the best performance. And I love the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

King will have that xx1 freehub soon. They acted like demand for xx1 was going to be low. I'm sure they see now that it's for real. They can't drag their feet much longer. Too many existing customers are bugging them.
    I was under the impression that there were problems with getting current King hubs to fit with a new drive shell.

wyrd bi ful rd
    I am sure CK will get that sorted. Just got to be patient.

Unless of course you want that DT now ... then you got to have it. No 2 ways about that ...

Warrior's Society
    I have run Kings in the past....great hubs.

Currently, most of the bikes in the garage are running 240s...great hubs. We did break the first run if 36pt ratchets.....but the replacements have been solid.

I worked in a shop where Employee Purchase for King parts was crazy cheap....and I still preferred to run the 240s.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    great thread, I currently have two sets of kings & they are rock solid (10 & 12 years old). Looking to jump on the XX1 bandwagon & DT240's look to be on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My main concern is the lower points of engagement. When I ride cheap hubs now, they feel like they are broken.

mountain biker
    what is it about XX1 that you're lusting after? the 42t sprocket, the derailleur, the ramped rings or all of the above? If it's the rings, there are after market manufacturers that are machining rings in that fashion. that way you could keep your current setup (assuming you have a clutch derailleur), and just buy a new ring. I just ordered one of these. I haven't received it yet, but reports are that it should work as well as XX1 for chain retention.

I'm hoping it works. and it's far cheaper than buying a new wheel and drivetrain...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    what is it about XX1 that you're lusting after? the 42t sprocket, the derailleur, the ramped rings or all of the above? If it's the rings, there are after market manufacturers that are machining rings in that fashion. that way you could keep your current setup (assuming you have a clutch derailleur), and just buy a new ring. I just ordered one of these. I haven't received it yet, but reports are that it should work as well as XX1 for chain retention.

I'm hoping it works. and it's far cheaper than buying a new wheel and drivetrain...
    I want to go 1x, and the only way it would work for me is with the 42-10 gear range. The massive weight drop is also nice.

Edit: I should add I'm coming from an XT double plus bash setup.

mtbr member
    Good thread. I'm in the same boat. I was planning on buying 240's but I could wait another month or two if King will be ready.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    My main concern is the lower points of engagement. When I ride cheap hubs now, they feel like they are broken.

Last time I checked.......the 240's are not considered cheap hubs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Last time I checked.......the 240's are not considered cheap hubs.
    But they have significantly lower PoE... like cheap hubs.

mountain biker
    Have you considered possibly going with a smaller front ring? wolftooth is going down to 30 teeth with their rings. I ride in the north east and though our climbs aren't long, they can be steep. I find that 32 front with a 36 rear is pretty good. Slightly taller than a granny with a 34 tooth max cog. but i will still get up some pretty steep stuff. I was toying with the notion a 11-34 rear and 30 tooth front. That would give me less unsprung weight at the rear wheel...

food for thought is all...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    Have you considered possibly going with a smaller front ring? wolftooth is going down to 30 teeth with their rings. I ride in the north east and though our climbs aren't long, they can be steep. I find that 32 front with a 36 rear is pretty good. Slightly taller than a granny with a 34 tooth max cog. but i will still get up some pretty steep stuff. I was toying with the notion a 11-34 rear and 30 tooth front. That would give me less unsprung weight at the rear wheel...

food for thought is all...
    I'm considering it. I've been artificially limiting my gear options on some of my local rides to see how it goes. What I can say is that on a good day, when I'm really on top of things physically, I think it would be fine. I have a lot of days that aren't like that, though, and it's nice to have those lower gears. I should probably just man up and do it. The 30t ring from wolftooth is pretty appealing.

mtbr member
    I'm fantasizing about XX1, and therefore considering a hub switch (out of necessity) away from my CKs. I could always go to I9, which are probably the closest match (heavy-ish, incredibly engagement, loud), but the light weight of the DT 240s is appealing to me. Anyone with experience want to comment?
    I am in the same boat. I have Kings, but was told that the XX1 freehub was out at least until 2014. Instead of going 240s, I am giving the I9 Torch classic hubs a shot. They have faster engagement than Kings, weigh almost as much as 240s, and are cheaper than 240s. I was going to go with Hadley's, but wanted to try something new.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Dog View Post
    I am in the same boat. I have Kings, but was told that the XX1 freehub was out at least until 2014. Instead of going 240s, I am giving the I9 Torch classic hubs a shot. They have faster engagement than Kings, weigh almost as much as 240s, and are cheaper than 240s. I was going to go with Hadley's, but wanted to try something new.
    This is basically where I'm at. If I end up getting new hubs, I really like what I've read about the redesigned I9s.

Warrior's Society
    But they have significantly lower PoE... like cheap hubs.
    With the 36pt ratchets....they are plenty quick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd go Hadley's or I9 Torch. I talked with Suzanne at Hadley this week and they are supposed to have their XD driver in house next week. I love my Hadley hubs but will probably try the lighter weight I9 Torch hubs on my planned 29er wheel set. The new design looks a lot nicer than their previous one and hopefully without the drag.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    eBay is your friend. I bought a DT350/819 setup for $100 brand new and saw a few 240 setups for around $150. Just riding that until the Easton XX1 freehub is available.

beater

If I switch from King hubs to DT 240s, am I going to be disappointed?

Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    I talked with Suzanne at Hadley this week and they are supposed to have their XD driver in house next week.
    My friend has been having that conversation for the last week or so. Fingers crossed for him, but I doubt he'll have his XX1 ready to roll by the end of the month.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

reading comprehension wat
    Anyone know about hub design regarding other details other than engagement and "rolling speed/drag"?

How about hub geometry with flange position and height, and how well supported it is (does the hub shell come up to near the spoke holes, or are they ridiculously tall)? Bearing size and spacing? Axle dimensions (not the axle that goes through the center of the actual axle and clamps down)?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    According to the Chris King Facebook page there won't be a XX1 freehub option this year:

We have been fielding a number of questions from our consumers regarding the compatibility of Chris King hubs with SRAM XX1?

We commend SRAMs attempt at addressing the needs of the cross country and all-mountain categories. Mountain biking will always be an integral part of our company culture and we carefully consider any new technology being proposed to help advance the sport.

Due to our rigorous development and testing process we will not be able to offer our consumers a Chris King XX1 solution in 2013.

Our concern is in ensuring that an XX1 compatible Chris King product will meet the extreme demands of todays mountain bike riders. XX1s current freehub body configuration poses a particularly interesting challenge and one that will need to be solved to our standards before we release a Chris King compatible version. We will continue to research XX1 compatible Chris King rear ISO disc hubs until we are confident that we have found an engineering solution that satisfies the high standards of precision, performance, and durability that are characteristic of every Chris King component.

Please stay tuned for further updates

We have been... | Facebook

mtbr member
    Thanks ran. So DT it is then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The thread really poses the question:
    Do you like a stealthy quiet high end hub
    or
    Do you like a loud buzzing high end hub

Wondering whether one high end hub will work well enough to allow your wheels to keep turning is ridiculous. Just buy what will suit your needs and stop stressing about numbers on paper that you won't notice while riding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast