mtbr member

Ice Spiker Pro tubeless experience

I recently purchased a set of Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro tires for winter riding on my 29er. I noticed when I picked them up that they are tubeless ready. Has anyone set them up tubeless? What was your experience like? The tires are going on Stans Rapid rims. I'm hoping they get along. I will likely be installing them this weekend. Any other comments on the tires and how they work are appreciated.

I wonder why?
    I've got the 26 x 2.35 versions and run them tubeless (with a bit of Stan's goop) on Bontrager Duster Rims (with strips) with no problems.

The spikes don't seem quite as long as the older version or the Nokian studded tires, hence don't bite really hard (cold) ice quite as well. Yes, ice temps can significantly affect how well any stud bites.

I'd warm the tires up in the house overnight prior to mounting them for an easier install, if your doing it outside or in the garage and its really cold.

i1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip! I put the tires in the house to warm up while the garage heater worked it's magic. The tires mounted up without issue. They sealed up quickly and lost only 5lbs of pressure over night.

The directions say to ride the tires for 25 miles on pavement to bed in the studs. So I went out yesterday and rode the paved trails around town to try to bed them in. They did great riding around town. Busted through snowy icy sidewalks and across glare ice without a single slip. As it turns out my town does not clear the paved trails that connect with any other metro trails. So I only managed about 20 miles. Looking forward to taking these offroad. They seem like they will be a better trail tire than the Nokians they replaced. Time will tell.